My friends, I know you've been waiting patiently for this moment, and it is finally time! I am thrilled to announce:
*The 2020 Derpibooru Community Collaboration Project has begun!*
While the show that originally brought us all together may have come to a conclusion, we as a fandom are still hear and roaring loudly! It is time once again to showcase how we've grown and improved, and create something truly breathtaking in the process!
The Derpibooru Community Collaboration is an annual showcase of who we are as a community. Every year, hundreds of artists and fans gather together to create a massive group photograph showing off the original characters of our community. The collaboration is open to everyone in the MLP art community, whether you’re an artist, a member of the site, or just someone who has an OC they want to show off!
For example, here is the 2019 Community Collab, which featured a staggering 1022 characters drawn by 502 artists!
It’s simple! Just upload a picture of your OC posting for the metaphorical camera, and add the "2020 community collab":/tags/2020+community+collab tag to your image. That's all there is to it! It can be an image you created yourself, or one that someone else drew for you.
*It is very important that you add the "2020 community collab":/tags/2020+community+collab tag to your image. If your submission does not have that tag, I will not see it, and therefore it won’t be included in the final image.*
The deadline for submitting images is *Friday, January 3nd, 2020 at 23:59:59 GMT*.
~Number of people who have pointed the typo out to me so far: 8~
These rules have changed a bit from previous years, so please be sure to read through them thoroughly.
1) All submissions must be rated "safe" and may not have any tags that would be hidden or spoilered by the "Default Filter":/filters/100073.
2) All digital art submissions must be either a PNG or SVG file that has a transparent background. Traditional art submissions are an exception this this rule, but editing out the background and saving it as a PNG would be greatly appreciated.
3) Any 2D art style is welcome.
4) Images of a pony sitting or standing on all fours should be a minimum of 800px in height, head-to-hoof. 1200px is preferred. Images of ponies standing on their hind legs or in an unusual pose should be proportional.
5) Characters should be original art – images created using a "pony generator" or puppet are not allowed.
6) Original characters only. If you want to sneak a canon character in, plushies are magic ;)
7) Ponies should be a normal-sized show-canon species (pony, griffon, etc). Original species are welcome, so long as they’re in a believable show-style appearance. Sorry, but no humans, anthro, or EqG-style OCs, as well as adult dragons or sea serpants.
8) Characters should have a believable, cannon-esque appearance (no insane clothing, large accessories, etc).
9) Characters should be posing for the camera and not doing anything too overly insane (but having some fun is allowed).
10) Winged characters should be standing/sitting on the ground. Please do not draw a character flying unless you have been giving permission first. See below for more information about having a character flying in the image.
11) If you own multiple OCs, you may submit up to two of them, but they have to be together in a single image file. Please do not submit more than two of your own OCs, or two separate images of "solo" OCs. This rule applies to who owns the OC, not necessary who drew it.
12) Submissions may not have any watermark or signature that obstructs the image.
13) Characters should not be offensive in design, likely to cause intentional controversy, be created with the intent to troll, or otherwise have a negative impact on the final image.
14) Due to the nature of this project, all submissions to the collaboration are considered immune to DNPs and takedown requests. If you’re submitting an OC drawn by someone else, please be sure to verify that this is alright with the artist first. Likewise, if you are submitting an OC owned by someone else, please ensure they are ok with it (and not already drawing/having someone else draw their character).
15) Characters should be drawn completely from head-to-hoof. Please do not crop the image, or create an image that it cut off at the waist, legs, etc.
16) OCs belonging to people who have been permanently banned from Derpibooru (especially multiple times) are not accepted.
The goal of this collab is to allow everyone to show off their current character designs and abilities as an artist. Therefore, please submit some newer artwork – either something drawn within the past few months, or even better, create a brand new image for the collab! We won’t say "no" to an older image, as we understand that not everyone has time and we want as many people as possible to be involved, but please do not resubmit an image that was already in a previous collaboration.
We're not doing any specific theme this year, as there wasn't a lot of interest in such themes in previous collabs. Instead, the theme is simply "togetherness", and I'll leave that to your interpretation as to what that means to you.
Although, I would like to extend an invitation to other communities in the MLP fandom to participate to, so please be sure to spread the word about this event. And if you are a representative (admin, owner, PR, etc) of a MLP community, convention, event, etc and would like to include your mascot, please do! If you need to discuss including your group's mascots/OCs, you can reach out to me in this thread, by email (joey at derpibooru.org) or on "Derpibooru's Discord server":/pages/discord.
Update: since a few people have asked, the collab will be set against an Autumn-esque background. So if you really want to draw to a theme, I guess Autumn clothing (or Fall clothing if you're from a part of the world who calls it that). But that's not required and won't be heavily emphasized.
Since characters should be facing the camera, it’s preferable that they either be looking straight towards the viewer (portrait view) or at an angle (3/4ths view), as shown in the below examples. Although allowed, it’s discouraged to submit characters that are looking/facing straight to the side (profile view), as those are harder to place within the image, and likely will be pushed towards the sides of the image.
>>1927213s >>1918977s >>1913988s >>1597801s >>1912080s
Accessories and clothing are always allowed and welcome, but due to how crowded the picture will likely be, things may be covered up as well. It’s recommended that any accessories be held close to the character’s head, as shown in the examples below.
>>1920434s >>1885914s >>1914137s >>1909895s >>1883449s >>1913878s
If you’d like to submit a photo featuring multiple characters (such as your OC with a friend), that is completely welcome! But again, due to how crowded the image will be, please keep the characters close together and don’t have any large gaps between them. Likewise, if you and your friends are submitting multiple "solo" images that you would like grouped together, please just post such a request in this thread, linking all the images, and we’ll see what we can do!
>>1916195s >>1919984s >>1920529s >>1911552s
*Note that requests for characters from multiple separate images to be grouped together must be posted in this thread. If a request is not submitted via this thread, it likely will not happen.*
Non-canon species are allowed so long as they’re not too far of a departure from a show canon species. There’s not really any clear way to describe it, but just ask if you’re unsure.
>>1918238s >>1909234s >>1899510s >>1913112s
Generally, all characters in the image will be standing/sitting on the ground. However, we typically have a few flying OCs in the air to "fill the space" above the main group. Since flying characters are a more prominent in the image, they will be subject to some quality control and thus have to be pre-approved.
If you would like to have your OC flying in the 2020 Community Collab, please fill out "this form":https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd57VVVip2wDLhrG9Ovnj9yaSJanUODc59QA_xOZQMY8iW6hQ/viewform?usp=sf_link no later than 23:59UTC on Wednesday, December 4th. Decisions will be made by Friday, December 6th.
One of the great things about this community is that there is always someone willing to help! If you need help drawing your OC (or even designing one) to participate in the collab, simply post in "this thread":/art/art-help-for-the-2020-community-collab-a-k-a-the-draw-my-oc-thread.
Likewise, if you're an artist who would like to help someone who can't draw, just keep an eye on that thread for requests, or even feel free to make a post advertising that you're willing to help!
"Art Help for the 2020 Community Collab (The 'Draw my OC' thread)":/art/art-help-for-the-2020-community-collab-a-k-a-the-draw-my-oc-thread
*Q: How do I submit an OC to this project?*
A: Just upload it to Derpibooru, and add the "2020 community collab":/tags/2020+community+collab tag. That’s all there is to it!
*Q: I’m not an artist/I can’t draw my OC. Does that mean I’m excluded?*
A: Not at all, if you’re part of Derpibooru’s community, or the MLP fandom in general, you’re welcome to include your OC in the project, even if the picture was drawn by someone else!
*Q: Can a submission have multiple OCs?*
A: Of course! If you would like to submit one image that contains multiple OCs, that is completely welcome! Though it is highly recommended you check with the owners/creators of the other OCs first before doing so.
*Q: I hate those rules! My OC/image doesn’t meet them!*
A: If the image you want to submit doesn’t fall within the rules for the collab, or would like an exception made, or anything like that, just ask and we’ll can see if we can work something out.
*Q: My friend and I are both submitting images, can our characters be placed next to each other?*
A: If you want your character to be placed next to other characters in the collab, just make a post in this thread requesting so, and include links to all pictures. Note that if you do not post the request specifically in this thread (and instead post it in the image description or a comment on the image), it may be missed.
*Q: If I submit an image of my OC, is it guaranteed to get included in the image?*
A: We will try to include as many submissions as possible. However, some submissions may be rejected, including ones that:
→ Are particularly low quality
→ Appear to be made as a trolling attempt
→ Are overly obtrusive (large accessories, action poses that take up a ton of room, etc)
→ Are made using Pony Creator or any other form of image generator
→ Appear too far removed from the MLP universe (Dinosaur OCs, etc)
A: Of course! Just like last year, badges will be awarded for participating in the community collab! There will be one badge for everyone who’s OC was submitted to/appeared in the collab, and another for artists who drew OCs for others so that their OC could appear in the image. I have no idea what they will be yet, and probably won't know until after the collab is finished, so it'll be a surprise for everyone!
*Q: When will the group photo be posted?*
A: I'm not going to make the mistake of saying "it'll be posted on (date)" and then miss that deadline by over three weeks (again). It most likely will be posted around the end of January or beginning of February, but I cannot give a specific date. Just pay attention to this thread (or follow "@derpibooru":https://twitter.com/derpibooru on Twitter) for updates.
*Q: I’m not an active member on Derpibooru, can I still participate?*
A: Of course! This event is open to the entire MLP community, regardless of how active you are on Derpibooru, or in general. You don’t even need to have an account on this site to participate.
*Q: Do submissions have to be vectors?*
A: Not at all! Any form of 2D visual art is welcome, including vectors, digital drawings, and traditional drawings!
*Q: I have another question!*
A: Just ask! Preferably in this thread instead of PM.
*Q: Dancing time?*