2020 Derpibooru Community Collab

Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
I’d like to know how you was casting your bg removals so quickly, if you don’t mind?
it’s some Ps Action or just good quick mask jutsu?
asking because I do bg removal by Ps Pen Tool, outline silhouette, then convert the path to selection, inverse it, modify if needed, del the bg, and then trim the remained transparent bg.
this method gives very quality result, but kinda long, so I just wanna know how to make the process faster.

To be honest, I just open the image in Photoshop, paste it on top of a bright background color so I can see the edge well, and use the eraser tool by hand, recreating or refining the masked area as I go.

The bright background - like cyan or even lime green - helps show any voids in the figure itself, too.

As you mentioned, if the outline is already good, I use the wand tool at maybe a sensitivity of between 8 and 32 or so to grab as much of the outline as possible and invert the selection to make it easier, and then I zoom way in and take the first swath of 20 to 32 pixels off from the figure using the eraser by hand.

Basically I recreate the outside of the last stroke before the background. And for stuff like the “V” in hair it’s pretty quick to detail it with a tiny eraser, like 2px or 3px, and then go back with a 6px or larger to get the rest of it.

With a lot of the images that I grabbed to help with this collab, doing it by hand seems more appropriate than using a mask, because they were traditional art or stylized digital art where the outline wasn’t contiguous - like where clothes join the figure, and there were lots of “gaps” in the outline that a mask would turn into deep gouges in the edge of the figure.

Sometimes smoothing a mask’s edge gets those, but for me it’s easier to just go over it by hand.

Then once I have an outline around the figure I zoom back out and grab the remainder of the background with the wand set to 128 or even 255 and then expand that selection 3px, and delete it.

Then I copy the remainder and paste it into a new file - this helps me see if there’s any dots that got missed and it resized the canvas to the new image.

If it’s a rough original, I’ll add smoothing to the eraser tool, which helps take out some of the jaggies.

On some images using an antialiased eraser works best, bit I try to keep the antialiasing off, and the smoothing off, unless the original calls for it.

I’ve got a huge Huron tablet, so that helps it go fast.

I know that masks can do the same thing, or even better, but I’ve been doing this since the 80’s to remove the backgrounds from scans of line art, or to take out the backgrounds from model shots - so much “remove the background but keep the detail in the hair” in my life - so it’s just faster for me to do it by hand most of the time.

I can do it with masking sometimes, but it’s super rare that masking it doesn’t take longer for me than doing it by hand.

I’ve always envied people who could do it with mask-fu though. That seems like an incredibly useful skill.

For me, in these images the edge seems more important than the body of the figures, because they’ll be laying on top of each other, and up you don’t know what colors it might end up laying on, so making sure the edge is as clean as possible is a real worry, because it effects not just the image you’re working on, but also the 2 or maybe even more images it will be on top of.
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
@Joey
R. I. P Joey’s RAM for this collab image.

I’d open a Ko-Fi to collect donations for RAM, but in reality, I would probably just spend the money on photography gear instead :P

In reality, I’ll probably be fine. The first two collabs were done in Photoshop CS6, which was a RAM hog. I had to save every 3-4 rows as a seperate PNG and then merge them together to keep the RAM manageable. Last years collab was done in Photoshop CC, which is much more memory efficient, and I was able to keep everything in a single PSD file that ate about 14-18GB of RAM (I have 32GB). I should be fine.

@Shimmering Spectacle  
joey, will me and other oc owners who participated in this collap, get a badge as a reward for it?

Yes, eventually. Let me do one thing at a time though.

@Calebtyink  
And you want to know about my alicorn oc? He’s son of celestia.

No thank you

@Count Adramélekh Sear  
I wonder what’ll be the next? Will it be a cycle (Winter is the background of the first collab image), or will you feature something else unique?

I don’t plan that far in advanced.

@Annapone  
If possible can you please put these 2 close to each other?
https://derpibooru.org/images/2238270
https://derpibooru.org/images/2211240

Sure thing

@Pizzamovies  
Disappointed I couldn’t get to Derpidot, Thingpone, Aryanne and Arizona Cow. Ah well. Plans for next year!

TBH Aryanne wouldn’t have been accepted anyway. Her tag implies “nazi”, which is blocked by the default filter, which the rules say you can’t do.

@Summer Dawn  
Only just realised this is a thing! Don’t suppose you could put mine and my friends OC’s next to each other in the collab?

Got it

@Rainbow Eevee  
Can I still submit one oc of mine???

Read the announcement post

@Th3BlueRose  
@Joey
I’ll repost my request since I did post it amongst a huge message so it probably got missed, but could these two groups be grouped together please?

Got it

@Th3BlueRose  
Unrelated to my last post but relevant to the topic, but do people ever submit OCs like weeks after the deadline or after the image has been posted?

Yes. Those people don’t get included. There was a huge obnoxious banner at the top of the site for the past month and a half, and several announcements on both our Discord and Twitter. If they missed it, that’s on them :/
ZippySqrl
HARD WERK - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art and really hates Applejack
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Lady's Wink -
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

Tired Artist
@Joey  
Should make the banner slowly fade in and out, change colour or something, fast enough to be noticeable, but slow enough to not be an issue for epileptics.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@ZippySqrl  
It not being noticeable isn’t the issue - inability of some people to notice stuff is, and it won’t be fixed by making it attract (conventional) attention. Basically, it doesn’t matter how obnoxiously flashy you’ll make it - they’re not even looking.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@Joey  
…How much RAM can a computer even have?

…I have some strange OCs (Teenage titans, a raider with gigantism, a raider with primordial dwarfism, a psychic unicorn with room-filling twintails…) but not every one of them is even an alicorn…

So we probably won’t have a background idea until November, unless you decide to make it in space?

Was nazi always on the default filter? And I’ve noticed countries have been cracking down on nazis lately. And Arizona technically isn’t even an OC.

How do we make people notice it more? Are there consistent offenders?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Move to 2021 https://derpibooru.org/forums/art/topics/2021-derpibooru-community-collab