Art critique thread (SFW)

PaskaNaakka
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!

PM me Maud pics
And as a continuation the previous post, i have drawn more lanky hoerses

full

Basically trying to find the appropriate middle ground for maximum adorable because i find slightly hoers bodies cuter than totally show-accurate ones

Lanky horse and malfunctioning Maud for a side by side comparison of hoers-like and a more show-accurate body type:

full

The legs area all kinds of borked but you get the idea

Thoughts?
Post-it
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Lord of Paps
@PaskaNaakka

On bottom right sketch, the left foreleg isn’t bending the right way.

I really feel you should play with and get a feel for FIM proportions before really experimenting. If you want to make the limbs longer then do a few studies on the alicorn princesses (not twilight) to get a better feeling for what is appealing when a FIM pony is more horse-like.

full

Alicorns:

full
PaskaNaakka
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes

PM me Maud pics
On bottom right sketch, the left foreleg isn’t bending the right way.

This i’m aware of, even said so in the post :V

I like to think i’ve got a reasonably good grasp of the FIM body shape, i’ve been drawing them for a while now. Not to mention looking at them almost every day for several years

Just to test that, here’s a quick sketch of RD and Flutters in dynamic poses tm. No erasing, no reference pictures.

full

If there are any glaring issues with the proportions or something, let me know.

I also had a good long session trying to refamiliarize myself with the fineries of equine leg anatomy after the shamefur dispray of the previous drawings.

To start with, a quick horse sketch from a photograph to get the general idea of the joints and so on  
full

Then a bunch of practice with legs and joints from different angles, and trying to reasonably fit them on a pone  
full

Full on hoers legs on pone:

full

And pone legs on hoers, just for a giggle:

full

And finally, a middle ground between hoers and pone, as presented by twalot. Compared to more show accurate proportions shown on the left, the head is smaller, the legs are thinner and longer (and have actual hooves), the body shape is slightly more horsey and less rubber duck-y, the muzzle is slightly more horselike but not quite as much as say, the alicorn princesses or the saddle arabians  
full

Wew, that’s a bunch of pics for one post
Post-it
Artist -

Lord of Paps
This i’m aware of, even said so in the post :V

My bad.

I recommend finding references for what you want out of your pone. If you have a favorite artist who does what you like then you could make a study out of a few of their works. I make studies all the time from other artists whom I like or if someone just makes a piece that I find interesting Ill make a study out of it. I try to figure out what I find appealing about what another artists does but also try to figure out what I don’t like about it. In a way your exploring your own psyche more than anything.

full

The above imagine, for example, is a study of another artist. I try to find out what makes their work appealing. I don’t claim them as my own. These aren’t the kind of shapes I’d use so I feel like I don’t really own them. In the end it was a good excuse to mess with color a little and to practice some basic shading.

I feel there’s this crippling taboo when it comes to using reference and I wish I knew where it stems from. It’s good to work from imagination but at the same time a person has to develop a standard for themselves so they’ll know what looks right and wrong immediately.
Post-it
Artist -

Lord of Paps
I can post my recent practice.

I’ve been practicing full body more and more and trying to get a feel on how to distribute weight and balance.

full

Messing around with ear shapes and trying to really nail what I want out of my pony heads.

full

Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@Post-it  
Your Gilda is really cute, but I’ve never been totally sure about your muzzle style. Something softer would imply a more feminine form. Try drawing a stallion or a colt to experiment.
PaskaNaakka
Non-Fungible Trixie -

PM me Maud pics
full

Did a quick redraw of the pone for practice

You may want to tone down the butt a little, the rear half of the body looks way wider than the front  
full

Now, personally i think the biggest obstacle to my progress seems to be my inability to stay focused long enough to do anything more than quick pencil sketches. Lineart and colouring really test my patience for some reason. So i decided to practice just those. Still no tablet, so it took a bunch of mousework which killed my wrist. RIP wrist.

full  
Also backgrounds. I must do backgrounds.

@Itsthinking  
full

Remember perspective, young padawan

Let the 3d flow thorugh you

May mspaint light your path:  
full
Post-it
Artist -

Lord of Paps
@Post-it
I’ve never been totally sure about your muzzle style.

I’ve never been sure about it either.

@PaskaNaakka

I’ve been messing around with body shapes too but thanks. If it doesn’t look appealing then its something that may not be working.

Also lining, coloring, and backgrounds are their own separate facets of fine arts. Dont feel pressured to jump into it. Some people study art their entire lives for that reason. Im prepared for a lifetime of this hobby.

Personally I’ve put color theory and backgrounds on the backburner but I’m in no hurry to learn either. I tend to keep things sketchy because lining requires time and its time I would rather spend diving into another study or sketch. I wouldn’t recommend it though since this is just my method. I find it odd that some artists dont know how to sketch at all.
Kirb
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Thread Starter - Stranded (Anthro/NSFW)
Artist -

full  
Working on a sketch of anthro genderbent Pipsqueak. Any suggestions?

(and no, removing the Van Halen logo and/or arm hooves doesn’t count, though minor changes to both are welcome)
Post-it
Artist -

Lord of Paps
@Kirb

You should really get familiar with human anatomy before tackling any kind of pseudo-anthro characters. Figure and gesture drawing can go a long way along with human anatomy study. Gesture will make your poses less stiff and figure drawing will help with anatomy. Knowing how the underlying skeleton fits together while taking into account the superficial muscle groups are key to making your characters look more life-like.

I stress that it’s important to at least put some effort into learning anatomy, whether it be pony, horse, or human. It can really make your works come out a lot better. You don’t have to put a lot of time into it. I’d say at least take 15-30 minutes a day just studying some anatomy. Make it a daily thing and be consistent. It’s hard to see results right away but over time it adds up.
Kirb
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Thread Starter - Stranded (Anthro/NSFW)
Artist -

@Latios381  
Thanks for the advice, I’ll make the head about 10-20% larger than its current size.

@Post-it  
I’ve actually drawn a lot of anthro before now. I guess I’ve just gotten out of practice. (I’ve been sick lately and haven’t been in the mood to draw anything.)  
Regardless, thanks for your suggestion. I should get back into that habit.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@Kirb  
I’ll be blunt: you can draw full ponies pretty well, but your anthro needs more study of the human form. Maybe at least when you draw pony related stuff, keep it pony.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide