Art resources

Art Chat » Art resources Search Posts
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
I figure a list of resources could be useful for some people. Feel free to suggest anything that you think should be added to the list. Any form of art goes, including writing.

Gesture and anatomy  
Captain64
Artist -

-Sequential Art/Comic Design  
Comics and Sequential Art by Will Eisner. Highly recommend this book for those who want to get started drawing or even analyzing Sequential Art.(book)

-FiM Anatomy  
Pony Drawing Guides by Equestria Daily This is a great post that has a lot of tutorials for people who want to get started drawing those pastel-colored ponies we love.

-Figure Drawing/Anatomy  
PoseManiacs PoseManiacs is a great website for getting lots of human poses. You can also use a 30 second draw game where you try to draw the figure that is shown for a certain amount of time. This is good for figure drawing.

-Mixed  
How to Draw Nearly Everything by Victor Perard. This book teaches you how to draw a lot of subject matter. From trees, to pets, to humans, to even horses! (no, not MLP FIM horses. Real horses) Don’t be fooled though! You can learn general principles like perspective. (book)
Background Pony #E53C
What programs are you using to make those great Gifs. I’m really want to be able to someday do them on my own but I lack the programs right now
Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@Background Pony #45CA  
Adobe CS2, go pick Photoshop, it comes with ImageReady, which is not bad at all to create your own short gifs. or eventually Flash. CS2 is interesting, altough it’s old, it is perfect for people willing to really start, and Adobe really does not care if this is being downloaded by nonprofit artists, and even encourage schools and public education to use it. it works on XP, 7, 8.
Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@dinosaurcol  
have a good base drawn on pencil, keeping in mind a three dimensional structure, a “skeleton” if you want.  
don’t erase anything, and start drawing with a good pen or marker. (perso I love the trace of Rotrings, especially on simple, basic copy paper, but found out some Mitsubishi’s UniBall Eye - fine and micro- are cheap, dries fast and doesn’t leak or anything. it’s not bad.)  
if your line is shake-ish, don’t hesitate to get over it several times and thicken your lines this also helps giving some density to a character or contrast when necessary.

once you’re done, let it dry, and use the eraser to clean the drawing from construction lines. and well, if there’s some parts you don’t like, you can still scan your artwork and edit this on your preferred graphics software, and even colorize it.  
works exactly the same in digital, minus the fun.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Color theory  
  • handprint.com has by far the most extensive and precise information source on color that I have found. Start with summary of modern color theory, moving onto modern color theory in more detail to avoid being overwhelmed.  
    Don’t leave until you understood what a color palette is and have gotten whatever you (mis)learned about RYB/RGB in order.  
    You should also review the Wikipedia entires on human vision and color spaces.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@dinosaurcol  
Use the Stabilizer tool.  
Use the rotate keys to turn the canvas into the right position to do each line with a single arm stroke.  
(If you use a portable device like an iPad Pro, then you can just rotate the device.)

The rest is just line weight expertise really.  
Know that you can create pseudo-line weight by using more contrast near the line.

There are many reasons to emphasize some lines more then others, but a simple guideline is that line weight follows the same logic as shadows and perspective; so lines that are closer to the viewer in 3D and lines and ones in darker areas get thicker.

..And of course, choose your brush thickness in proportion of the size of the drawing. If it is big then don’t be afraid to reallypush thickness where it’s needed.
Background Pony #B2C4
Any tips for Pixel Artists? I am currently using Aseprite and it’s perfect for an easy Pixel Art, as I’m a gamer.

Apologies if Necro-Posting, since it looks stickered.
Slingring
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -

Dumb Equine
none of these are what im looking for. im looking for a instruction manual on how to draw not “gestures and poses” “coloring things”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide