[SFW] Artist's Group Chat

Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Karadeg_(Rarity_Lover)  
Impressed. You got the proportions right (from what I know/remember of Yu-Gi-Oh) on the first try without a sketch, the inked lineart is all clean and sharp, the felt pen colors don’t go over that same lineart.

A little envious too. Because those three things are three things I can’t do.

Besides that? The pink sky behind the window give me vibes of the grim darkness before dial-up. Wouldn’t have been surprised to see this in a cutscene from Genesis games like Phantasy Star or Shining Force (other than the characters not matching).

…Or maybe something from the Captain Harlock cartoons. Clothes look similar from what I remember. But didn’t actually watch those shows.
KaraRara
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Enough of humanity
@Roseluck  
Oh thanks a lot :o  
The sky was soo hard to draw;w; for the staff it’s easy, they work on PC/tablet so xD But I love drawing hard things like that with only basic felt (I’m poor so I have the most basic stuff 😂)  
To be honest, it was just a little drawing initially but now, it’s one of my three favorites drawings (I can show the others if you want xD)
Senpai Sven Pie
Artist -

@Roseluck  
Hey, I really appreciate your thorough reply, Roseluck. Thank you. :)  
Yeah, it was really vague, but that’s actually the point, because this is what I hear and read wherever I look. “Keep drawing” or “keep practicing”. This is what I do; I have days where I can draw awesome things, but on others not even a stick figure.  
The sketch is the hardest part for me, it’s the most important part, the foundation. If the foundation is bad, the whole thing will look wrong. I enjoy everything else, but sometimes it takes hours until the sketch looks good/accurate.

In my own opinion, having your own style isn’t important. You draw what you like. I mostly prefer styles close to the things I like too. It’s easier to connect, it makes me feel right at home.

I read your comment multiple times. I can relate to the thing about perfectionism too. I especially want to be able to draw faster, but still accurate. Will try your advices and tips and then later post some SFW things here. :) I’m happy this is a place where we can help each other out.

@Galeem Crusher  
I like your humor, haha.
Senpai Sven Pie
Artist -

@Karadeg_(Rarity_Lover)  
I love them! The first one really FEELS powerful! Gives me goosebumps~ :)

Alright, here goes…  
full  
Took me 40 minutes and I used those two references. Didn’t go for perfection, but it’s still very slow, right? I know someone who can draw 4 high quality sketches in the same time. Should have used more references, gave Mario his normal boots and weird hair, haha.  
The question is how to improve from here… I think my problem is that I don’t really have a style, I don’t really have rules. I mean it’s “my” style, this is how I always draw, but I think I need an idol. Like, finding artists that I like and learn from their works. Often I don’t know how I should draw specific things and end up simplifying it to the extremes. That’s my conclusion.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Senpai Sven Pie  
gods I can’t look away from your avatar haha

Glad I actually could help. Have a hard enough time doing that when I’m showing the kids and explaining to them in real time. On the internet with only words? Even harder.

Then there’s obviously things that can’t be helped (at least by me). Awesome days versus stick figures days? Yeah, inspiration’s like that. Or you’re just tired that day. Not in the mood and just messing up the whole time. Hello, paper shredder!

My sketches take hours too. Probably never had one last less than one full hour… Or even two. But I think I understand why.

Always need several goes to get the lines right. Especially the curves. Even if I built the skeleton of circles, triangles and other quadrilaterals perfectly, the outline needs several strokes to get it right.

It’s the opposite of death by a thousand cuts. Birth by a thousand strokes. Little by little, millimeter by millimeter until the curve is done from point A to point B. Multiplied by the entire body. And that’s without any mistakes in the middle.

Oh Rainbow. How I love and hate your hips at the same time.

If that’s your issue too… Didn’t try it yet, but I think this idea is a pretty good solution!

well, we can always practice the basics of basics: Lines (or curves)
practice the ICS curves. I.e Lines, C-Curves and S curves. Get used to them, and get used to making them in one stroke. It’s alright to go over the same curves again and again. I actually encourage it.

Getting back to my comparison… Gotta switch from death by a thousand cuts to felling that damn tree “in one stroke.” Or ten tops. “Faster, but still accurate.”

And yeah, having my own style isn’t important… though something tells me it’s actually already there and called ‘show accurate, but curvier’ haha. Not that I think people will complain!

edit: Uh, got another reply in the meantime.

@Senpai Sven Pie  
Don’t think you need a style or rules… I mean, it’s fanart. The point’s the end result, the final picture. Here, it’s wounded/angry Mario in this particular pose. Then, with a dress. Because you draw the full body under the dress and then you draw the dress over it.

Well, I’d do it this way anyway.

And before that body, geometric shapes like I said. Say, the hand. That’s one circle for the wrist, some rough rectangle for the palm, three interlocked ‘sausages’ for each finger (one for each phalanx)…

Didn’t work out the feet yet though. All hail shoes.

And you’re on a booru. A well-tagged one. Finding some artists to reference is good of course… but everything from hand on hip to scrunchy face to gritted teeth,one eye closed,glare (for a quick example about Mario’s face) to whatever else leads to some reference material.

Don’t know if Mario has a booru but as far as MLP is concerned, Derpibooru + MLP wikia is a godsend for finding those damn references in the first place (the wikia if you’re looking for screencaps).

40 minutes for that drawing… mostly spent finding out how to draw these specific things I guess? That probably will be faster once you know the end result you’re looking for. From experience and references.

I mean, of course you’re gonna need more time to build a wall if you don’t know what it’s supposed to look like at the end compared to already knowing everything about the final product before you even put the first brick. Which I assume is why this someone can pull off four sketches in those 40 minutes.

@Senpai Sven Pie  
@Galeem Crusher  
Well, this is the one Final Fantasy out of them all that had a male character wear a dress. And pulling it off like nobody’s business from what I’ve been told.

The remake missed an opportunity by not allowing alternate outfits after beating the game, like Dynasty Warriors 4 did.

Seriously though. You reminded me that I had a crossover idea precisely about Tifa kicking around. Not sure I’ll do it because I’m not sure how I feel about Rainboob Dash nowadays but it’d probably be worth it genuinely for nothing else than practice’s sake.

(Sheer curiosity would still be there though. Kinda hilarious that so many people made Rainbow flat because she’s an athlete when Tifa and freaking Lara Croft exist.)

Seriously seriously though.

@Karadeg_(Rarity_Lover)  
Yeah, very good!

Like this one too.

Curious, do the squares on the paper help with getting the proportions right?
KaraRara
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Enough of humanity
@Roseluck  
thanks ^^

Yep It helps me a lot… before the drawing, I’ve made some maths to know what’re the proportions of a character :o  
I love maths!
Senpai Sven Pie
Artist -

@Karadeg_(Rarity_Lover)  
Yay, maths! <3 We have a lot in common actually.

@Roseluck  
It was not my intention to bless/curse you with my avatar, but now I definitely want to keep it. :‘D

True! My “art skill” is heavily connected to my psyche. The more I love something, the better I draw. Being tired or in a bad mood only gives bad or weird results, like you said.

Haha, all the stuff with the circles etc… When starting a sketch, they certainly help, but I always end up changing the sizes, especially the size of the head. And the whole stick figure is only a rough guideline in the end.  
I actually feel more like sculpting. Most curves are not pleasing to me and I “sculpt” (draw and erase) until it’s pleasing to me. Art books, videos and even most references can’t teach me what forms I find pleasing. I also prefer simple cartoon styles, was never a fan of realism. I know, many say we should learn from reality, but it’s no fun, haha…  
Have to try the tip with the curves. :3

When I drew the Mario, I only drew a circle for the head and two more lines for the height of the eyes and the other line for the middle part of the face. I immediately drew the dress and everything else, it was “freestyle”? I was inspired by what you said before, to have a clear vision of the final picture. Even if I would draw more guidelines, the body parts would end up too small anyway - always. :’)

When I draw human feet, it helps me to imagine them like a piece of pie lying on the side:  
full  
It’s a foot, right?!  
Or starting with a brick. It’s just cut in half diagonally. Shoes are bricks that can bend. Or rather a sponges.

Oh yeah, the tags are really helpful! Some random images inspired me to draw some ear fluff too. :3

Right. I think we two will become faster and better over time. But as long as we enjoy it, it doesn’t really matter how long we spend on an image~
Senpai Sven Pie
Artist -

@Karadeg_(Rarity_Lover)  
Sorry, I don’t know. A warning + spoiler tag should be okay, but I don’t want to say anything wrong. :’)

I have a question as well. I drew a corpse (holding it sadely in the hooves, no blood), that does count as NSFW (semi-grimdark?), right? I better do not post it here. :’D
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide