Broken scanner Why not a camera?

LP2Lily
Artist -

Lily Fathom
The title is rhetorical. I already know the answer. However, I really don’t know how to get a reasonable photo of my art. I have made a bunch of sketches thus far. I just could not figure out how to get my expensive camera on the right settings. That and the angle a piece of art should be and lighting. I am not looking for a full explanation. Who has the time to give a free class to some random dude on the forums anyway? Yea, don’t worry about giving me step by step instructions unless you want to. Just enough to get me headed in the right direction. Thanks in advance to anyone who can get me started.
Camera
Cannon PowerShot SX530 HS
Nothing special. Got it with a extra money that showed up in my budget. Sort of over my head if ya know what I mean
LP2Lily
Artist -

Lily Fathom
Quick update
I found some articles on changing the settings
I got max resolution, but looking into fixing the lighting and flash settings.
If I could at least get advice on camera angle and common mistakes? Thanks
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@LP2Lily
It is possible to do what you are trying to do, and sometimes using a camera as a scanner bed does work very well. But on problem with cameras is that the closer you get to the edge of the lens the more distortion you’ll see.
Like, at one university I went to the large bed scanners were all cameras on tripods held over a brightly lit surface. Those were built from wood, but a metal tripod also works and can be more flexible.
The trick is to get the camera perfectly parallel to the surface being scanned, and to get enough even and consistent light on the image.
The stand can end up looking pretty home brew, but you can get really good results.
It isn’t always better than using a scanner, but there are situations where you actually can get significantly better results with a camera than a scanner.
Above all, making sure you are putting enough light on the image that you are taking a picture of, and making absolutely certain the camera is held in the proper alignment to the image is important. And the more you can avoid using the WHOLE imageable area on the camera the better you’ll be.
If you see too much distortion in the image even after doing all of this, then there’s a chance your lens is just not giving a flat enough result, and you might have to do some PhotoShop wizardry to get the image to be ‘flat’ in the final result.
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
I mean, eventually you draw something too freaking big to scan anyway, so every eventually uses a camera. The trick is just to remember what the scanner is doing, and then try to replicate that.
… while also acknowledging the scanner was an attempt to replicate what was being done with cameras, but better …
Reproducing images, and getting them into different formats, is a snake that keeps eating its own tail.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
And, actually, you don’t even have to build some sort of rig. You can do this with any tripod. Just make sure the back leg is fastened to the table, and you’re set to go.
Just don’t expect good results the first time, keep experimenting, and when you find something that works mark everything with tape so you can get it back into that position and make notes of the settings you used.
LP2Lily
Artist -

Lily Fathom
I mean, eventually you draw something too freaking big to scan anyway, so every eventually uses a camera. The trick is just to remember what the scanner is doing, and then try to replicate that.
… while also acknowledging the scanner was an attempt to replicate what was being done with cameras, but better …
Reproducing images, and getting them into different formats, is a snake that keeps eating its own tail.
Thankyou soo much for all the advice. <3
I managed to figure out the light and contrast settings. I tried a few things with my light sources. However, this spures some ideas. I have way too much scrap wood on hand. These examples you gave me seem relatively simple. My synth cabinets and even my lab table I built from scratch has way more complexity then these jigs. Should be relatively simple to draft something on paper and then build my own jig.
Incase your wondering I plan to to do both timelaps art and in general photos for capturing my art. I will keep everything you mentioned here in mind. Again thanks for the point in the right direction. A sure blessing from God is what you been. May God bless you. <3
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Yeah, once you get your own rig set up, it’s the kind of thing that you may use for years.
For me with really big pieces, like 3’ on a side, is that no matter what I do I either am getting too much distortion around the edges, or I can’t get it lit properly.
Like, if you put REALLY HARD light on it, sometimes the light goes right through the top surface of your drawing and you can actually see the sketch underneath it.
Trying to capture what the human eye sees with a camera can be a real trick :)
d1ckbitch
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
It’s a 1/2.3’ sensor, not a very large area for capturing photons. You’ll probably have to build a rig for getting clean results at the end. Hopefully you have access to manual controls; use the lowest iso you can, a moderate aperture to increase depth of field and reduce lens aberrations, and build a light box with white paper to try to uniformize light coming from the pop-up flash.
If the camera allows outputting raw files, you don’t really have to bother with light balance etc, as you can change it in a raw processing software, using the color of the support you’re drawing on (hopefully white paper) as reference. Denoising may be cleaner too
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide