Need Art tips

Art Chat » Need Art tips Search Posts
Number1pegasus
Thread Starter -  Waifu Thread

The Element of laughter
Hey I’m trying to get better at my art because I’m thinking on making a comic but sadly my art is not strong enough, got any tips for me please It would help a lot :)
PaskaNaakka
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!

PM me Maud pics
Practise, practise and practise. Look at tutorials, try copying reference pictures to get the anatomy and proportions right, and ask other people for critique. Don’t forget to practise.
Handmantoot

Comics are a lot of work. Consistency and determination is a must when you start. It’ll help you to have a script or something to follow along. I tried to do a comic but failed; due to my short term memory and forgetting what was going into the first panel. (i’m bad that..)

Are you gonna make it digital or just stick traditional?
Handmantoot

@Number1pegasus

Haha, sounds like a good plan. Switching from paper to tablet doesn’t come to quickly for some people, So don’t get discouraged if your lines are not as smooth as you want. There are built in tools that’ll help; I:E Auto correct, stabilization.

As for poses, you seem to got a good grasp on for it, so good on you. But there is plenty of Pony tutorials you can use if you are ever stuck. I’d really recommend finding your own style and owning your skills; it makes it more iconic and easily noticeable. Reaching out for help doesn’t hurt! Every now and then you’ll find someone that will be willing to lend a hand; and learn at the same time with you. So have fun and post it somewhere so we can check it out when you’re done! Cause Derpy Wesker is pretty rad.
paluzna

heres my tip:

-first, do this: >>68395 till you pin down a style for faces you are comfortable drawing.  
be it anatomicaly/show acurate or even your own style. after you got a face style, you can work the rest of the body from there.

-practice an anatomy style that is likeable to the eye, not just easy to draw.

-before jumping to colors or shading pin down a lineart style.  
its better that way, it will also take less time to improve like that.

-pay attention to how other artist make their pics.

if you talking about a one stand comic whit 5+ panels, dont go all out whit it, draw losely and have fun whit it. (depending on the type of comic) people wont be paying that much attention to individual panels.  
if you are talking about a 3+ pages comic, dont do it yet. work out an style first.

for traditional drawing, get a kneaded-eraser to lighten your pencil sketches and a fine-point sharpie to ink them.
Number1pegasus
Thread Starter -  Waifu Thread

The Element of laughter
@paluzna  
Sounds like a good idea shouldn’t start with the big comics first anyway, and like Handmantoot said I should wright out a script first also too this pic should serve really well.

Next though is that I need to get the human body down as I can draw people a little but there’s a lot of areas I need to cover such as the hands legs feet and arms and mabey just the anatomy in general.
paluzna

@Number1pegasus  
hahaha! they can be kinda bothersome to get right, but wait till you get to feets!  
you will have nightmares about it!  
…now that i mentions it, human anatomy itself is hell.

learn the basics of it (which will take some time) and then aply a simplified style to them.
Roham14

Not sure if it’s been mentioned (because I’m a lazy fuck and cbs reading all of this thread) but if you haven’t already been told, there’s a sort of way you can trick yourself into thinking in a different mind set. The way I got taught is that one half of your mind is more logic than the other side, the other side being a bit more creative and etc. if you can trick yourself into thinking in the creative mind set you see your art in a whole different way. Actually helps a lot with perspective and stuff. Search something called the spinning dancer, it is a genuine piece of mind fuckery. I found it all interesting and it helped me out. Another thing is that DO NOT TRY AND DRAW IT AS IT IS, to make something appear as it is, you can’t draw it as it is (bit a Socrates shit right there). An example is trying to draw a human figure, you could know the exact proportions of a human down to the centimetre, but once you draw it it looks weird or not as you pictured it. This is sorta where the mind thing comes in, you have to look at something smaller being further back instead of being a badass psycho from borderlands. Tomorrow I’ll upload a drawing that I did with this in mind to use it as an example. I know this was a fuck long post but if you read it I hope it helped immensely!
TheQuickDraw

Hey I’m kind of in the same boat, I need tips and I found a style I like but I need outside opinion, once I figure out how to post an image (used to 4chans layout) I will
SassQueen
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Twibra Enthusiast
@Handmantoot
I think I might start traditional and then later when I get my tablet go digital, but practice first of course

Yes! Very good! A lot of people seem to think that digital is automatically going to make you a better artist, when in fact, using a tablet is just another tool.
Background Pony #B85F
@PoppyCock  
If anything using a tablet is harder than using a pencil.

A tablet is much less direct than pencil on paper because you can’t simultaneously watch your hand moving and watch the lines appearing on the screen. Also I personally find it much harder to draw precise, smooth lines on a tablet, but that may just be down to practice.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide