Question. What is this art style?

MrOwen

Been seeing this style more and more recently. Usually large “angle” nose, “heavy” face, wide mouth.  
Here are some examples, both MLP and non-MLP.  

full  
full

Is there a name for it? Is it imitating some animated show?
AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Sky funeral
It’s nominally referred to as CalArts or is stylistically alligned with that style, though it’s unfair to also attribute it only to that since it’s also as a style quick and easy to do. So either it makes an easy go-to for people just beginning to draw and haven’t had the time to commit to serious studies on body and face shapes to be passable. Or you’re an animator who would like to spend more time doing expressions and environments and not working on incredibly detailed characters and taking pains to meticulously work around heavy and sharp details; or as a related ordeal, you don’t have the economy of time or money to do just that.

I don’t think it has a formal name all in all except for people just plain angry at it.
MrOwen

@AaronMk

Thanks for the information. So, a “pseudo CalArts”, “popular CalArts” or “CalFanart” would be acceptable descriptions, I guess.

I don’t think it has a formal name all in all except for people just plain angry at it.

Well, to be honest, I don’t like it either. (Not angry, just dislike). I do, however, prefer to have at least a name for a thing that I don’t like.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide