European Union may pass law that could lead to this site being unusable

Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@CaptainXtra  
Except the vote will be more local and it will meet a real opposition, so bureaucrats will have a harder time forcing things I imagine. Well, I hope that for you, if not what is the point of leaving the EU if it’s to do the same mistakes, they would be horrified by it, the right like the left should denounce it.
Patachu
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab

@CaptainXtra  
The amount of propaganda on this page… it’s staggering!

“We support the movie industry” no, you don’t. You influence it barely not for the best with your fundings that only helps the same big prod companies, not independent projects.  
“we say open source is good” while passing copyright laws that makes portions of FOSS (free software, like Linux/Krita/Inkscape)  
“we develop the 5G” no, operators does, the role of the EU could have been to make it easier for local telecom industry to compete against Huwawei. Except they don’t

That’s a good reason to get mad. It’s not even politics at this point, it’s authoritarianism.

I might have posted it there before, or maybe you did but in case of, I’m reposting it- The European Copyright Directive, an article on EFF
belmontzar
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

when it comes to a website primarily focused on Fan works and Content related to an owned property, its always got some shaky ground to stand on.  
On one hand you have the fact the world, characters, and themes are all owned mental property.  
On the other most copy write laws don’t factor in unless people use the copy written things to make money. However the biggest factor when it comes to fan works and fan material is the stance the Owning company has in regards to fan work. All the Eu’s possible laws does is enforce the the power the holders have over their owned property. Yet Hasbro and related companies have shown no signs of being against mlp fan work at all. I think a few things were taken down yes, but over all Hasbro seems to love its fanbase. So in the end, whatever laws are being put in place, if hasbro likes the fan community, the places like Derpi have no problems to worry about.
belmontzar
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

@Typhoon2000  
In some cases, you have things like Sonic Mania where Sega found people who made Sonic game hacks, and then hired them to not only make ports of games they had already been working on, but also to make a brand new licensed game. The writer of the webcomic, Anon’s Pie Adventure, was even hired by the company working on mlp comics as well. Sega and Hasbro related companies seem to really look at and focus on the effort and skill of the fan community, so its kinda hard to beleive that either of them would want to strike down a company that shows so much possible future work for them, whether its by making fan games, fan game mods, or just fan comics.
Patachu

@CaptainXtra  
Another excuse to increase the cost of studies? Or force students to pay for every info, even forbidding sharing books? (It happens)

Reminds me a bit in college we were told not to photocopy or scan books, they even slapped a big moralistic poster about it.  
What’s the point to be in a public college then if it’s to not access knowledge? The lack logic behind this is appalling. In a context of study, there is no copyright reason, copyright laws says so, but if then they want to again, add another layer of unnecessary laws, we’re hitting a wall.

It’s not for entertainment here.
Patachu

@belmontzar

there’s no such thing as «copy write». I wonder who coined this term but what it means is not really a legal base for anything.  
The copyright law itself means the right to copy. Copyright law exists to protect the intellectual rights of creators and artists, which can be limited, not restricted.  
The term would be putting something confidential or kept by patents and trademarks, which remains permissive, that’s why it’s interesting to know our rights.

Author to editor, and editor to customer, who have rights. Yes you heard right, you have the right to copy and use a work for personal use, just like when you play a CD you play a copy. You watch an image on your PC you watch a copy of an original.  
Same as broadcast or whatever method. Copyright is control of what is copied at the will of the author allows so.  
As of today, users and students, in fact, anyone is legally allowed to use a copyrighted work - book/film/music/software for the purposes of criticism, comment, or educational use in documentaries on non-commercial content. Changing this, as in agreement with art.13 will be catastrophic, indeed.
NeonThriller

@CaptainXtra  
It’s also a bad idea because it could encourage EU troublemakers like Hungary and Poland (Despite Poland’s opposition and on point concerns about A17) to crackdown on the opposition.  
Keep in mind, I am pretty Euroskeptic, But the governments of Hungary and Poland have declining democracies and that’s unacceptable.
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
Another important update on the matter of implementation!

I went ahead and translated a set of tweets by Julia Reda on the matter.

Translation:

Netzpolitik has the ministerial draft for the implementation of the #Urheberrechtsreform released. Section 8 UrhDaG (p. 33) is particularly worrying for fundamental https://rights.twitter.com/netzpolitik/st… Platforms can only do what is required by real-time #Uploadfilter implement.

According to the new proposal, users should only be able to mark their uploads as legal if a #Uploadfilter a potential copyright infringement identified during the upload. But what if rights holders only report the content for blocking later?

The proposal is therefore a real step backwards both for users and for platforms, because it implies a certain technical measure ~~#Uploadfilter ~~ prescribes and limits the options for protecting legal uploads.

Here is the old version of § 8 from the discussion draft for comparison (p. 24). According to the old draft, users ALWAYS had the right to mark content as allowed, regardless of whether a #Uploadfilter finds something when http://uploading.bmjv.de/SharedDocs/Ges…

Bottom line:  
NOW WOULD BE A GRAND TIME FOR GERMAN CITIZENS TO TALK TO THEIR LAWMAKERS ASAP!
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
So apparently some EU member states are slamming the Commission’s Guidelines related to Article 13/17:  
https://twitter.com/laukaya/status/1321140217273815041?s=21

I can’t tell if it’s good or bad due to some issues.

The link in said tweet doesn’t work for me, so if you happen to have a some sort of membership with the site that the link leads to then please don’t hesitate to share what it says.

Here’s Communia responding to said tweet:  
https://twitter.com/communia_eu/status/1321143913340690441?s=21
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
Looks like we have some alarming news from Savetheinternet.info:  
https://twitter.com/uploadfilter/status/1323968265958395904?s=21

“Remix, meme, GIF, mashup, fan art, fan fiction, cover or sampling are rated by Altmaier (CDU / BMWi) as too extensive.  
Our Minister of State for Culture (CDU) supports the matter and calls for the paragraph to be deleted without replacement.”

Basically Germany wants to scrap all exceptions to Copyright.

Here’s a link to the article included in the tweet:  
https://www.heise.de/news/Urheberrechtsreform-Altmaier-macht-gegen-Nutzung-von-Inhalte-Schnipseln-mobil-4946759.html

You’ll need a translation program which shouldn‘t be too tough to track down.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide