European Union may pass law that could lead to this site being unusable

CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
There hasn’t been much in terms of massive news dumps but there’s some stuff to share.

We still don’t have word as to when the Commission actually will announce the new version of the guidelines but we have an draft of what the guidelines were going to be before they were delayed and changed:

Read It Here.

In other news, the TERREG EP vote will be on April 29th.

As usual, please write to your MEP’s to make the right choice or if you can’t write physically then at least make your email as unique as possible so that it won’t be flagged as spam.
Background Pony #2FBB
@CaptainXtra  
Like Article 17??

Also, considering that Derpibooru is hosted in the us (Despite the fact they are in europe), it will not affect them.
belmontzar
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

@Background Pony #2FBB  
Regardless of where it is Derpi may be hosted, the impact on the world wide web may stretch over onto our borders as well. It is possible that such a law passed in the EU, may impact the World wide web that all of us utilize… or at the very least, will greatly and directly impact our pony friends Across the pond. Cutting away and destroying a great many artists, musicians, and other types of content creators, as well as fellow fans of the show or art. Drectly or not, make no mistake that we shall be impacted… as to how badly… only time will tell.
Background Pony #699A
Its looking like the upload filters start will not be able to start to operate before being taken down in court, there already talk about them being delayed.

2: European Commission’s Attempt To Backtrack On Its Promise To Defend Fundamental Rights In Upload Filter Implementations May Backfire Badly

This explains why the Advocate general delayed it.

@belmontzar  
TBF, silbasa did bring up one point though:

Luckily the internet is the internet so many will simply relocate servers to another jurisdiction.

Mind you, he even brought this up about the upload filters:

I welcome their filters. It will be hilarious to find ways around them!

So he does bring up some good points, even if there not helping. 🤷
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
@Ciaran  
So you mods have been following all the recent developments in relation to the internet in the EU then.

Like the Commission delaying the EUCD guidelines, the TERREG being approved without an EP vote, and now the approval of Chat Control which includes “Indiscriminate analysis of all private communications contents” as well?
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@CaptainXtra  
I didn’t say that. I said we’re not hosted in the US. We’re hosted in the EU and as our privacy page says we aim to be compliant with the EU GDPR, which as far as I can see we are.

Wouldn’t make any sense for a US hosted site to aim to be compliant with EU laws, would it?

As for those other things, I’m more worried about the practical implications than speculations. We already do not allow the promotion of IRL terrorist organizations or acts, and take such content down as soon as it’s identified. And while I’m not personally happy about the chat thing they are trying to cram into the law, until the word “may” becomes “shall” it’s not something that has to be acted on, and indications and history suggests it won’t survive a challenge in court.

In the meantime, if any of the kinds of content those acts are intended to handle is posted here and it is reported, we already deal with it within the timeframe required by the various acts.

We’re a really small site compared to the kinds of sites those acts are aimed at, and our existing rules and practices are already better than some of what those acts are intended to force companies like Facebook to do.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
So, some inside info on the TERREG’s implantation timeline:

According to an insider source, 20 days after the TERREG is approved is when it actually becomes law.

I mention this due to rumors that Sweden would start enforcing the law in 20 days, (which would be extremely difficult if not impossible to do), but it’s just a result of confusion surrounding when the TERREG will be law and NOT when it’s enforced.

There’s a 12 month period before it’s required to be enforced.

Next, there’s something important for Fanfic, Fanart, and any general Fan-Works creators in Germany and I suppose the rest of the EU as well to look at:

https://archiveofourown.org/admin_posts/19550

Please read it in full!

And unfortunately, we still have no word on the new EUCD guidelines.
Background Pony #2FBB
@CaptainXtra  
Though i doubt it will affect fanfiction, i can see your point.

Being fair here, there will be ways to bypass stuff like this, and while i do have a feeling that Article 17 will have their upload filters shot down, I think EU Users could also ask Poland to additionally tell the CJEU (Or alternatively, EU users can tell the CJEU and Parliament) that fan works should be legal, and so on. Or, make a more small site friendly version of the Copyright Directive.

It could be hard, but petitions could work.
Background Pony #2FBB
@CaptainXtra
Though i doubt it will affect fanfiction or fan works for that matter, considering that there’s Paypal and such that most of the small sites use for paying, i can see your point.
Being fair here, there will be ways to bypass stuff like this, and while i do have a feeling that Article 17 will have their upload filters shot down, I think EU Users could also ask Poland to additionally tell the CJEU (Or alternatively, EU users can tell the CJEU and Parliament) that fan works should be legal, and so on. Or, make a more small site friendly version of the Copyright Directive.
It could be hard, but petitions could work, they tend to be a hit or miss.
If the upload filters get shot down, this will probably give Poland a chance to make the Copyright Directive hopefully better. Kinda Doubtful, but still hopeful.
On that note, while it won’t be a easy one, thing is, you have to have hope.
Background Pony #2FBB
@CaptainXtra  
One more thing (You can take this into consideration):

While Derpi is in the EU, the service provider (Cloudflare) is in the US.

Now, i assume the EU is well aware that politicians here want 230 gone.  
I think that if this does happen (which is unlikely), this could give the EU the excuse to make upload filters mandatory (again, unlikely).

Note that there are some internet groups who fight to make things better here. That said, you can’t always expect a win.

It’s what makes the chances of the world wide web remaining like this better or worse.

Here in the US, we have Anti 230 stuff, whereas in EU they have Article 17.

If the internet wasn’t as big, we’d still have the problems we had in the days before streaming. But there Wouldn’t be any stuff like those 2 above, so It’s a trade off.

That said, i hope you give me your thoughts on this and this.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
@Background Pony #2FBB  
I read it.

Ok, there is still an element of uncertainty as to how much it will hit us once enforced especially due to the EU Commission not yet putting out guidelines.

It’s important for people to at least be aware of what’s going on.
Background Pony #2FBB
@CaptainXtra  
Exactly.

However, take what silbasa said on this. After all, there will Always be ways around this, like sites moving out of the EU and such.  
Here’s what i mean.

If Google, Microsoft, Twitter or Facebook weren’t big, there wouldn’t be laws or proposals like this. But it wouldn’t mean that section 230 wouldn’t have anti-230 exist, it would, just smaller.
DarkBrawlerCF1994

Thank you guys for staying vigilant with these kinds of policies.

Unfortunately, due to a combination of social silence and zero tolerance for politics, I cannot really do much.

Knowing Europe by now, most details that would get revealed are probably already decided.

The only way to know for sure whether such policies are Orwellian or not is to just let ‘em happen. I am against mass surveillance and censorship, but it’s harder to wrestle or blame the politicians when we have so many ToonKriticY2Ks and QAnon supporters eroding political patience for self-regulation.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide