General Dark Souls

toxicitzi
BUY SOME APPLES! - Derpi Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

@Mikey
yup, that’s what I recommend too.
I’ve been going with summons too. I’ll be stuck another time on these bosses to learn every minute detail of their movesets. ^^
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
One commmon cynical complaint I hear about Elden Ring is that, “It’s just more of Dark Souls III in an open world!”.
Since I’ve been enjoying DSIII more than DSII so far, I am not turned off at all.
The★Rickmeister
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Economist -

Stormlight Archivist📔
It’s just occurred to me that DS3 foreshadows Gael becoming an enemy if you first reach the nearby bonfire and have the DLC installed, and can’t actually use said bonfire.
I could be wrong, though.
toxicitzi
Sapphire -

so, 199.9 hours later, beat Elden Ring.
No spoiler thoughts, but I’ll put these thoughts on the experience just in case that no one wants their opinion colored by what I thought of the different phases of the game. I’ll explain briefly that, game’s great, its world is drop dead beautiful at the important times and outdoes almost every game combined that had moments like those and I enjoyed playing through it. Elden Ring is basically FromSoftware’s victory lap of their decade of souls games.
First, the game’s open world starts amazing and does the open world really fantastically, most everything in the game feels like a victory lap for FromSoftware’s games, with some exceptions, like BB’s sidestep with the old hunter bone was teased to me, but, it’s just the same old quickstep with the brief invisibility, next, bosses are not that great with a few exceptions and lastly, the quality dives later on, which to me seems like a rush job.
For me, I think this is my wake up call to move because I know now that FromSoftware have their own thing and I’ve grown enough doubts that I’m certain I made the right call skipping Sekiro and next time, skipping any new entry of theirs. DS3 was a surprise with bosses like Pontiff, Dancer, Champion Gundyr, but even when I was ranting about DS3 trying to do the only thing I knew back then which was playing with a Great Club, a literal Unga Bunga build if you will, I still felt like their design was great and I wanted to get used to their moveset. Elden Ring at its hardest feels like it has bosses that are amalgamations of every hard aspect of each of those DS3 bosses, all combined together into 1 fight and that also makes a lot of fights feel too similar too, resulting in being much harder to read and react to and allow far less openings.
So, this is just really not for me and I know that these thoughts can change on subsequent playthroughs and I might enjoy it more as less frustrations happen, if I ever decide to boot it up again, but to me this is indicative of what I can expect from every new FromSoft game when going through it blind and I don’t think this is a good experience, I don’t think leaning so hard on One Upping the previous difficulty makes for a more enjoyable game since there’s not that much new ground to break there, I think the route that DS3 was going in with its best bosses was the best strike, but I guess that’s just me then, I like consistency more over inconsistency.
Also, on a side note, enemies like the Perfumers? they can get tossed in a raging inferno and burnt to nothing. I wish non-existence on them.
Next, NPC quests are just as obtuse as ever and also, that feature from DS3 where they randomly disappear or die, when you progress a little too far in the world? it’s back. So, I suggest using a guide, only so you know where the NPC is next.
So yeah, I am blown back with how beautiful the world is, all the improvements to the combat and builds, but I’m also letdown by a lot of things that I thought FromSoftware had nailed before and to be clear here, this isn’t because I died a lot through Elden Ring, I managed to beat almost all of the hardest bosses in a few tries with how used to almost all of DS3’s bosses movesets I’ve gotten over replaying them in mods and harder stats difficulties, but I didn’t feel the same enjoyment I got from beating a boss like Dragonslayer Armor, Dancer, Champion Gundyr, Nameless King, Midir or Slave Knight Gael..
I really think that I’m not wrong about this, because it was harder to compare accurately a game like DS1 which was fundamentally so different from DS3’s faster paced combat and that was more a matter of preference for combat pace, but in this case? DS3’s bosses can compare 1 to 1 with Elden Ring’s, because not just the engine, but also the combat speed are all the same and I believe that DS3 has the far better quality on boss fights overall, not just in terms of difficulty, but also in terms of consistency, even for ones that aren’t the game’s peak in boss fight quality.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
@toxicitzi
I think the open world is the best thing it does personally, it’s not your typical samey stuff Ubisoft has been putting out for the last decade and a half.
Also, for Sekiro, it’s really nothing like Dark Souls. Like, the similarities are minimal at best. It’s more fast paced than even Bloodborne, and if you try playing it like a Souls game you’re gonna have a bad time. It’s different and I like it for that.
toxicitzi
Sapphire -

@Mikey
I know, but I know from that experience that it’s not for me, because Sekiro came in late when FromSoftware has been constantly one upping the difficulty of the previous game and I tried Sekiro once, stopped at Lady Butterfly.
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
I beat Dark Souls III earlier today, thus ending my runthrough of the entire Soulsborne series. I will get around to playing Elden Ring eventually, but right now, I really want a break. DSIII’s dungeon crawls may be easy, but the notoriously hard boss fights in it are RIDICULOUS. The BS that can happen in the fights with Pontiff Sulyvhan, Twin Princes, and Soul of Cinder…I feel like a changed man after making it through that. For those who care, I was at Level 94, doing another “paladin-build” (I know miracles suck in this game, but I wanted a challenge), and beat the game in just under 34 hours, ironically around the same time it took me for Dark Souls II.
Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
I have a question for one of Elden Ring’s endings. Specifically, the one where you get married to Ranni. Is it like DS3 where the sex of Ranni is always the opposite to the player, or is Ranni always a woman (or is replaced by a male character for those playing a female character)?
Meanlucario
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
I got the Obsidian Greatsword a few weeks ago when the internet was down for us. Cutting off Kalameet’s tail makes me not want cutable to ever return.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
So, in my broken swords run, I decided to tackle Dragonslayer first to see if that also causes the knights to become hostile, or just the Dragonrider (they did not become hostile). I killing him on my first try. I’m not sure how myself.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide