Music thread

DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

What were your best musical discoveries of 2021?
For me, it has to be Easy Star All Stars. I didn’t know I needed a reggae cover of Pink Floyd’s Money in my life. I also discovered Prince.
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

seventh layer of hair
This is my rankings on all the Metal albums released in 2021.
1.) Senjutsu by Iron Maiden
2.) Fortitude by Gojira
3.) Kin by Whitechapel
4.) Aggression Continuum by Fear Factory
5.) Bleed The Future by Archspire
6.) Persona Non Grata by Exodus
7.) Violence Unimagined by Cannibal Corpse
8.) In The Court Of The Dragon by Trivium
9.) A Valediction by Obscura
10.) Torn Arteries by Carcass
11.) Existece Is Futile by Cradle Of Filth
12.) Hushed And Grim by Mastodon
13.) Kostolom by Slaughter To Prevail
14.) Doom Crew Inc. by Black Label Society
15.) A View From The Top Of The World by Dream Theater
16.) Servant Of The Mind by Volbeat
17.) Bullet For My Valentine by Bullet For My Valentine
18.) God Ends Here by Aeon
19.) Origin by Omnium Gatherum
20.) Glory For Salvation by Rhapsody Of Fire
♬𝕸𝖊𝖑𝖑𝖔𝖜 𝕽𝖍𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖒♪
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

💙Glass Sight's Chocopon💙
@DerpyFast
My best musical subgenre/style discovery this year was “Britfunk”, which is literally funk music that originated and developed in the United Kingdom. Very influential and awesome as can be, with bands like (in alphabetical order) Atmosphear, Heatwave, Hi-Tension, Imagination, Linx, and Shakatak. The song “British Hustle” by Atmosphear is considered the crown jewel of the subgenre.
Britfunk really opened the doorway further than ever before for me to the world of Funk!
@Khauntzat Adramélekhizarovich Searmaev
Of course Senjutsu takes the top of the list. Nothing more deserving, mate. :)
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

seventh layer of hair
@Mellow Rhythm
I wanted to make Whitechapel the top of the list because of the drastic change from their usual deathcore style. They went full on Opeth with this album.
The “deathcore bands should never make clean vocals” haters can rant all they want about it but they’ve just mastered making this exeptionally spectacular. This is their greatest album they’ve ever made imo.
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫

seventh layer of hair
July 2021 shall go down as one of the most devastating month of the year in rock & metal history if you recall the back to back deaths of multiple rock & metal artists within a short span of time.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@DerpyFast
Easy Star All-Stars are great.
This year, I became a fan of Avenged Sevenfold. That was probably my favorite musical discovery. I listened to all their past stuff from Waking the Fallen to The Stage.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Music Connoisseur
Alright, now let’s get started with the worst list. Like I said, I kinda liked this year for music and honestly, there wasn’t too much that I considered the absolute worst. That doesn’t mean that I didn’t find any bad songs though and now I’m gonna compile the ten which I really didn’t like. Disclaimer: This is all my opinion so if you do like any of these songs, including my number one pick, then that’s fine, no harm intended here. Anyways, let’s leave this underwhelming year behind:
10- Thot Shit by Megan Thee Stallion (Hot 100 Peak: #16)- When it comes to the female rappers of today, my favorite is Megan Thee Stallion because she can actually rap and has a good flow, it’s just bad that she’s a Cardi B copycat and needs some better producers like what this song can attest to. As usual, the lyrics about her being a hoe and a bad bitch is not new territory for her, but it often goes into vulgar territory even for her and it doesn’t have the enjoyability for it, like that she’s trying to remake WAP. The beat by OG Parker is bad and disorganized and should’ve stuck with one sound with the background chants and her rapping is good as usual but compared to other songs could’ve been a bit better. It’s a song that I really want to like out of bias, but there is a lot that drags it down for me and that I can’t help but shake my head at it. Megan really needs to a lot better than this.
9- 34+35 by Ariana Grande (Hot 100 Peak: #2)- This isn’t her worst song in my opinion, but it’s still a really bad decision on her part. Now I’m not against pop stars making songs about sex, especially former teen idols, but I feel like Ariana should’ve given this a pass because this kind of song is way out of her range. Hearing her sing about intercourse with her trademark high pitched voice is really jarring and doesn’t make the song sound sexy if that was the angle she was going for. The writing is typical sex references, the title of the song is really stupid and groan worthy, the production is weak and again, her beautiful voice is unfitting with the lyrics. The remix version with Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion is better because both of those rappers fit with this kind of song and they outshine Ariana. All in all, it’s a really bad song that only got big off of starpower and nothing else, though I’m willing to forgive her since her other songs “Positions” and “POV” are all pretty good.
8- No More Parties by Coi Leray feat. Lil Durk (Hot 100 Peak: #26)- By this point, Tik Tok is a big indicator on what gets popular within the young crowd, even if those songs are terrible like this one. The lyrics about being sick and tired of the party lifestyle is weirdly written where sometimes it’s hard to tell what’s going on since it jumps from point to point, the production is bad with some weak pianos and beats that sound badly mixed in and the rapping is awful where Coi sounds like she’s way too close to the microphone and barely even has a flow. The autotune is also painfully obvious that it’s noticeable and distracting. The one good thing about it is Lil Durk’s verse where he actually does a decent job given the kind of song he was in. It’s just a generic run of the mill Tik Tok mumble rap song that’s gonna get forgotten in about a year or so.
7- Bang! By AJR (Hot 100 Peak: #8)- Have you ever had a song where at first you really liked but overtime soured on you until you hate it? Well to me that’s this song. After having some sporadic songs chart below the Top 50, brothers AJR finally make it big with this song about being hedonistic and lazy. That wouldn’t be so bad, it might even be relatable if it didn’t sound like crap. The singing is grating and weak, the instrumentation is an absolute nightmare with way too many elements overpowering each other and is way too loud, the chorus is extremely annoying and tuned way louder than the rest of the song, the random audio bursts are obnoxious and again, the lyrics could’ve been relatable if it was rewritten better. Congrats to AJR for making it big with this pile of sludge of a song cause they really need to work hard if they want to get their second hit, preferably a better one.
6- Without You by The Kid Laroi (Hot 100 Peak: #8)- Hailing from Australia, The Kid Laroi was Juice WRLD’s protégé who helped him in achieve mainstream stardom and whose career shot up after his mentor’s death. It’s too bad that his songs range from mediocre to really bad, with the last one applying to this Top 10 hit. The lyrics are poorly written for a breakup song to the point where it makes him come off as douchey and unlikeable, especially with the line “Can’t make a wife out of a hoe” because who writes a line like that? The singing is bad and whiny where it sounds like he’s about to strain his throat any second and the acoustic guitar production is so basic that it might as well not be there. His other big song “Stay” is marginally better but not by a whole lot and shows that he can make a relationship song sound at least decent. Not much else to say other than it’s a really bad song with nothing to offer that other songs haven’t done better.
5- Way 2 Sexy by Drake feat. Future & Young Thug (Hot 100 Peak: #1)- For those of you who followed music news in 2021, one of the biggest headlines was the album battle between Kanye West and Drake. When it came to chart success, Drake won but when it came to quality, Kanye takes that trophy and ran with it because my god is Drake’s newest album below average, with this song being the absolute worst track. First off, the “I’m Too Sexy” rework and sample is bad enough since the original song sucks in the first place, but it manages to make it sound worse thanks to an annoying beat underneath it. The lyrics are godawful with cliché brag rap lines that sound like they were written in 10 minutes and aren’t even clever with each rapper receiving a bad line throughout with the worst being Young Thug’s “Molest Me” line. Speaking of that, he’s the only decent rapper since Drake sounds pretentious and Future sounds bored at times, especially at the chorus. Out of the two number one songs that Drake had this year (the other one being “What’s Next?”), this one is undoubtedly his worse and a sign that he should just take a hiatus from recording cause he’s just burning himself out by this point.
4- BeatBox by SpottemGottem (Hot 100 Peak: #12)- This year, a certain genre of rap became popular where it had a darker sound to it with pianos and a more aggressive tone to it with lyrics about being a murderer thug and this song is easily the worst from this trend. The beat is dated where it sounds derivative of other songs from its genre, the lyrics aren’t anything special for this genre either, but what really puts this song here is the rapping, because it is horrendous. Florida born SpotEmGottem just can’t rap at all and sounds like he’s just speed talking and struggling to stay on beat with the parts where he goes high pitched being obnoxious. Compared to another similar song that got popular this year, that being “Back In Blood” by Pooh Shiesty, it massively pales because that song has a better structured beat, more towards the lyrics and a rapper who can actually rap. With that, this song needs to be shot at and left for dead this year with no chance for it to be revived.
3- Fancy Like by Walker Hayes (Hot 100 Peak: #3)- This one is an easy target since every single music critic this year tore this song to shreds and considers it one of the worst songs of the year. Honestly, they’re not wrong since the song is bad but I wouldn’t call it the worst. Thanks to a Tik Tok dance, a song about the country lifestyle being fancy for Walker Hayes made it to the Top 5, it’s too bad the lyrics are very pretentious with the subject matter and the reference to Applebee’s feels more like a commercial for said restaurant alongside the other egregious product placement. The production is barely passable with the guitar being nothing special and the fake drums sound bad while the singing does nothing to help due to sounding bad and annoying. It’s honestly a very overhated song, but that doesn’t mean that it’s a good song, it’s far from it and I hope Walker Hayes can improve from this and try something better if he wants to maintain his relevancy.
2- Throat Baby (Go Baby) by BRS Kash (Hot 100 Peak: #24)- Ever since the success of WAP, it seems like you have rappers trying to make sexually explicit like it and virtually none of them don’t have the charm that that song does. Atlanta native BRS Kash tries out his own version with a song about the magical wonders of getting head and giving a girl a blowjob. You might think that a song like that would be sexually graphic and yeah, you guessed it correctly because it’s all what the song is. It’s not fun, it’s not sexy and it’s not even smartly written either, it’s all just fellatio references that sound very uncomfortable and even a violation of personal space topped off with one of the worst song titles of the year. The rest of the song isn’t any better with an uninteresting beat and an equally uninteresting rap flow which shows how amateur hour the entire song is. Oh, and it’s also a Tik Tok hit which of course it was. By the new year, I hope I never get to listen to this again.
Dishonorable Mentions:
Just The Way by Parmalee & Blanco Brown- If it wasn’t for the sappiness of the sound and the very un-country production, I would give this song a pass for the frankly generic lyrics.
Track Star by Mooski- Yet again more Tik Tok fodder, nothing interesting to say other than the lyrics are some of the clunkiest I’ve heard all year.
Lil Bit by Nelly & Florida Georgia Line- So both decided to collaborate again for some reason even after their first collab “Cruise” was considered one of the worst songs of the 2010’s. Though I will admit this is better than that one by a whole lot but still.
Lonely by Justin Bieber & benny blanco- If Justin Bieber wanted to make a song where he reflected on all his past mistakes, he could’ve made it less mopey and melodramatic and more of a reason for the listener to care.
The Good Ones by Gabby Barrett- The girl who released “I Hope” managed to get a second hit with this song which is slightly better but not by a whole lot honestly.
11- Whoopty by CJ- Yet again another typical Tik Tok rap song, but this one I kinda dig because the chorus is really catchy, and I do like the vibe of it.
1- Put Your Records On by Ritt Momney (Corinne Bailey Rae cover) (Hot 100 Peak: #30)- The moment I listened to this song, I knew that it would be the worst song of the entire year for one simple reason: It completely ruins a really great song. For those who don’t know, this is a cover of the 2006 song of the same name by English singer Corinne Bailey Rae which is about not worrying about anything and being happy. Not only are the lyrics great, but the original version you have a smooth and beautiful singing voice and a warm laid-back production. Meanwhile, Jack Rutter of the indie project Ritt Momney, which already is a stupid name, turns it into a soulless, lifeless, lo-fi, boring slog with awful production that tries to be upbeat but is too stripped down, whiny singing that’s layered under vocal filters that sounds terrible as all get out, a complete butchering of the original melody, and the fact that the song changes tempo throughout that it sounds disorganized. It’s a travesty of a song that gives lo-fi a bad name and destroys a great song. With that, Put Your Records On (cover) gets my pick for the worst song of 2021.
And that’s my list, hope you enjoyed and here’s to 2022!
LeoNero
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

Shine On U Crazy Diamond
@Myoozik
Another great and detailed list. I haven’t heard most of these bad songs except for a few. And i kind had a feeling what was going to be your number one while reading and scrolling down further. XD
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫

seventh layer of hair
The best discoveries I made in music in 2021 was the fusion of two completely different genres flamenco and metal. Even I myself couldn’t believe such fusion would end up being a blast.
The perfect transition of the flamenco guitar to the heaviness of the electric guitar and blast beats of the drums, and the coordination between the two together is definitely one of the best aspects of this fusion.
This song by Avenged Sevenfold was the bridge into pushing me to searching for tunes similar in to it.
Dashie41 YT

Negan Guy
What album are you most looking forward to in 2022 any style mines Napalm Death Voivod Imperial Triumphant possibly coming and Kreator
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫

seventh layer of hair
I’m dehydrated for a new Avenged Sevenfold album so this is one of my big pick for this year.
I’ll elaborate the many soon cus’ I’m currently lazy af.
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫

seventh layer of hair
Didn’t I mentioned before that Porcupine Tree is back? I’m a latecomer fan of that band since 2019, I’ve heard the new single and it sounds so promising as their previous three albums.
This should be good for something that hasn’t been around for 12 years.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide