Music thread

TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@Mellow Rhythm
The Who Sell Out is a great album! Did you know that “I Can See for Miles” was apparently listed by one publication as the heaviest song released at the time, and was the inspiration for Paul McCartney to write a heavier song with “Helter Skelter”? (Which is, IMO, the first heavy metal song.)
@Mr.Myoozik
It’s a long story, but basically, the band Falling in Reverse had to cancel two or more shows because their laptop broke and they needed it for their live performances. So radio host Eddie Trunk and original Skid Row lead singer Sebastian Bach started crapping on them for it, saying that too many modern rock bands use backing tracks and bands back in The Old Days didn’t have to…
It’s not like the bands using backing tracks are just doing it because they’re lazy or whatever. Nor is it the same as lip syncing, which people are accusing it of being (and of course is almost always unacceptable).
If Falling in Reverse should be shamed for anything, it’s for not making backups of what was on their computer. That’s just basic stuff. The laptop is like an instrument at that point, and any good musician keeps a backup guitar, for example, so if it breaks they can switch and the show can go on.
Posted Report
♬𝕸𝖊𝖑𝖑𝖔𝖜 𝕽𝖍𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖒♪
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

💙Glass Sight's Chocopon💙
@Mellow Rhythm
The Who Sell Out is a great album! Did you know that “I Can See for Miles” was apparently listed by one publication as the heaviest song released at the time, and was the inspiration for Paul McCartney to write a heavier song with “Helter Skelter”? (Which is, IMO, the first heavy metal song.)
Indeed I did know! Both songs are certainly instrumental in heavy metal and hard rock’s foundations. Though, Helter Skelter definitely has it beat in terms of true heavy/proto-metal cred. Incidentally, I also count The Kinks “You Really Got Me” as among the first heavy metal song too (in addition to early punk rock). There are other candidates from a few years prior to that, but I don’t need to go into too much detail :P
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Mellow Rhythm
I quite like that one. A certain scene in the Tommy movie made a lot more sense after listening.
After I moved, I picked up two albums: It’s Hard and The Who Sell Out. It’s Hard is my favorite for personal reasons.
Just a side note about The Who and Metal: Boris the Spider has a reputation among metal fans for containing the first ever metal growl.
@TheHappySpaceman
The biggest downsides of backing tracks were that they didn’t work reliably, and that they made soloing impossible. I’ve heard that the tour to promote Quadrophenia was a disaster for those reasons.
While we’re on the subject, here’s an instrumental demo of Baba O’Riley.
Posted Report
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
Update: I don’t know why I needed luck. This album absolutely rocks.
We’ll see how it holds up upon second listen, but so far, this is the best album and the closest Skid Row has come to capturing their old energy since Subhuman Race.
Now, to respond to the old comments:
@Mellow Rhythm
I’d definitely agree with “You Really Got Me” as well! And Jimi Hendrix, though he came a bit later.
@DerpyFast
Love John’s growl on “Boris the Spider.”
And yes, that’s a downside of backing tracks–well, not soloing specifically, but any extended solos or jams would not work with backing tracks. So bands like 1970s Pink Floyd or the Grateful Dead, whose live performances were reliant on lengthy jams in lieu of simply playing the original songs as they were on the album, probably wouldn’t get any use of backing tracks.
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@TheHappySpaceman
First: Gross, Falling In Reverse, not my kind of band and I’m not into metalcore.
Second: It just felt like old farts not understanding modern technology and the good that came out of it. Sounded to me like they approached a topic that they had little understanding towards.
Third: I guess it depends on how you use it and not what you use.
Posted Report
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
First: Gross, Falling In Reverse, not my kind of band and I’m not into metalcore.
LMAO, I also honestly think that’s a big reason this band in particular is getting so much flack for it. It’s less about what they’re doing and more about the band that’s doing it–a lot of people find Falling in Reverse cringey (and to be honest, I kind of do too). But still, this is not something they should be getting flack for.
Third: I guess it depends on how you use it and not what you use.
Pretty much. I think Neil Peart put it best in 1980: “All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted, not so coldly charted; it’s really just a question of your honesty.”
@Mellow Rhythm
Good choice! A lot of what he did with guitar distortion paved the way for future rock and metal guitarists. The sounds he was making on some of the later albums was even a little prog at points! I do wonder what he would have done with his music if he hadn’t passed so young.
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@TheHappySpaceman
I just don’t like metalcore in general and that band’s music doesn’t do it for me. Regardless, if they want to use backing tracks, then there’s no golden rule which states that it isn’t allowed in the music world. It’s just Sebastian Bach acting like an old man who doesn’t like the newer bands.
About Jimi, I’ve heard that if he didn’t die, he was gonna abandon psychedelia and start doing prog rock
Posted Report
Starless
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
About Jimi, I’ve heard that if he didn’t die, he was gonna abandon psychedelia and start doing prog rock
Yeah I heard he was going to join Emerson, Lake and Palmer before he died. Hendrix in ELP probably wouldn’t have worked but it would have been interesting.
Posted Report
Starless
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
@Mellow Rhythm
Yeah that would have been awful. Imagine if Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, and Carl Palmer had all just been backing musicians to accompany Jimi Hendrix instead of actually playing their own melodies or rhythms. ELP wasn’t amazing but at least they could play better than rock bands that are just a singer and a few backing musicians.
Posted Report
Background Pony #345A
I like the song “Overworked” by…someone. I don’t know who made the song. But the corrupted Mordicai mod is great!
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
Congratulations to Glass Animals for breaking the record for most weeks on the Hot 100 with their number one song Heat Waves now on the charts for 91 weeks, beating Blinding Lights by The Weeknd. Good on you, now please leave the chart, you have vastly overstayed your welcome.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide