The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
full

Somehow I knew that Sir Sean Connery would die very soon. Oh, man, 2020 is such a shitty year. I’m pretty sad. Well, I know which movie I’m going to watch now.

Холодно, хмуро  
И мрачно в душе  
Как мог знать я, что ты умрёшь?

Cold, hard, empty  
Light that has left me  
How could I know that you would die?

До свидания, Captain Marko Ramius (Sean Connery)

Red Army Choir - The Hunt For Red October
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Angrybrony  
The Annie comic strip that inspired the musical went pretty nuts as the years went on.  
The line about Libertarian and FDR,though…I guess I’m just not up on politics.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@Dex Stewart  
It’s true. Ever since I did my review of the 2014 Annie a few years ago, I’ve read about how much darker the Little Orphan Annie comics were.

Each of the three Annie movies are just about “Orphan girl is mistreated by the head of the orphanage/foster home, gets adopted by a rich dude, happy ending.” Hell, the 2014 Annie is even worse because it tones down or straight-up removes the villains, who were the most interesting part of the musical.

But never would I have guessed with any of those movies that Little Orphan Annie was a badass who solved mysteries and could give a beatdown when necessary.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Angrybrony

Michael Gross is also 73 years old and the Tremors franchise is 30. So this is probably tacit confession that either A)Shrieker Island is the last entry in Tremors or B)They’re moving on from Burt Gummer.
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
Why do we find characters such as Trevor Philips, Rick Sanchez, and many other anti-hero/anti-villain maniacs so endearing?

Is it because the line between good and evil is so razor thin to begin with?

Is it because they’re refreshingly different from goody two shoes and truly irredeemable assholes?

Is it due to them being so relatable to an extent?
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@CaptainXtra  
full  
I find Punisher a fascinating and entertaining character.  
On some level,it’s comforting to think of this guy, cleverly taking out the bad guys and saving people,but in the other hand,it’s uncomfortable to think this guy went nuts and declared war on any and all evildoers.  
full  
Also cute doggy.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@CaptainXtra

Well, “being so relatable” I’m just gonna question. But yes, to the first two questions. Genius and madness are very close. And we’ve known that not just since Oppenheimer and the atomic bomb. This supposed dichotomy naturally creates a certain fascination in people. But I also question your comparison between “I’ll fuck your girlfriend and kick your brains in” Trevor Philips and “I know so much, nothing has any meaning for me anymore” Rick Sanchez.

In my opinion, these two are not really in the same league. They may be both amoralistic assholes, yes. And in their fascination they may resemble each other. But in their inner universe they still exist on very different levels.

But to answer your question, why does that seem so endearing? People don’t play such a game or watch such a show in order to raise themselves up for it. But it is an unfiltered mirror on society and goes where it hurts particularly. Basically, it’s a kind of pain therapy that might give you a bit of clarity yourself. And so it is certainly different from previous protagonists.

No one always wants to be the hero. Unless you have a very limited insight into the world as such. ;-)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide