The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
What are the technicalities of the Purge? I’ve never figured that out.

If someone steals a car during the Purge, is it legally theirs from there on? Do you just have to get a bumper sticker that says “This car was stolen! During the Purge, of course! ;)”
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
So is the premise for the new Purge movie really just “What if people committed crimes on days when it’ not the Purge”?

Also i forgot but did the movies ever say if the purge was a US only thing or did other nations also have an annual purge too?
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@TheHappySpaceman  
I’m gonna assume YES. Otherwise, there’s no point to it. So yeah, you could prolly register a vehicle you stole during the purge as legally yours from then on.

I mean…  
Say you murdered a person on The Purge because it’s legal to do so on that day.

What would the point be, if you were charged for murder the next morning?
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@TheHappySpaceman

Relevant.

Also the Netflix series touched on that topic. Basically, if you steal a car or house during the 12 hours then you can’t be charged for theft. But if you still have it by the time the ending siren blares then you can be charged for possession of stolen property.

Sure why not.

@ichiban iceychan 1517

The second movie or so had a scene about that. It’s a US only thing, and some foreigners even visit the US during the night so they can murder Because it’s always murder in this dumb series. With the exception of the prequel there’s like, 0 non-murder crimes that ever happen in this series. for kicks.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
Also what’s the situation on if you beat/tortured a guy with the intend of killing them but the ending of the purge stops you from killing them, then they die of their wounds the next day?

Are you still protected from murder in that case, or do you get charged with murder if they die from injuries they got during the purge but died after it?

Or is their some gray zone around it?
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@ichiban iceychan 1517

IIRC it’s the same as the theft rule. ‘Hey, as long as you didn’t attack him before time’s up then all is cool beans.’

I need to get back in the series. It didn’t do a good job about it, but it did explore some of the loopholes around the rules. Like how committing a bank heist outside the Purge is illegal, but openly planning it outside the Purge is a-okay.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@CaptainXtra  
I mean, I’m in agreement. I think it’s a stupid movie series, but it’s oddly long-lasting so I feel I’m allowed to pick it apart.

@tehwatever  
Here’s a question. Nintendo and Disney are known for their strict copyright policies and cracking down on fanworks. So could you legally release a Nintendo fan-game, or a Star Wars fan-film, and have it be exempt from their crackdowns because you did it during the Purge? Could that be a loophole around copyright?

@Dustcan  
…That’s confusing. That’s very confusing. So then if it’s no longer yours by the end of the Purge and you have to give it back, then what’s even the point of purging?

Could you commit a bank heist and steal money to pay off your student loans during the Purge?  
What about stealing a tiger from the zoo to keep as your pet? Could you do that?

There are many things one can do during the Purge, but apparently the movies believe that the only crime anyone would think to commit is murder. And that’s part of why they suck.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@TheHappySpaceman

To the franchise’s credit, the First Purge (the prequel and like 4th movie in the series…yeah even the naming in this series is dumb. Sad because it’s actually perhaps the only good movie in the series) spelled out that yes, the Purge is all about just murdering poor people.

Like, the previous movies alluded to that motivation, but First Purge makes it clear with the concept and creation of the event. When the political party in power saw that their little experiment wasn’t working - as in people on the quarantined island wasn’t killing each other during the lawless half-day and instead doing a little looting and a lot of drugs and partying - the NFFA sent in hit squads and serial killers to rack up a body count on top of outright fudging the numbers to declare their experiment a success in removing the poverty problem.

That’s perhaps the saddest thing about the series. It’s actually got some pretty good political commentary going on in the background, but that’s more because it’s quite frankly a big budget slasher series that’s ashamed to admit it’s a big budget slasher series.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@Dex Stewart  
Good taste!

@Dustcan  
But see, all of that could have been avoided if they just said “Murder is allowed during the Purge.” Making all crime legal but then everyone is just going out and murdering seems rather cynical, because truthfully most people would probably not be doing that. And then putting all these stipulations around it, like “Oh it’s legal but you have to return the stuff you steal afterwards”–it’s all a bunch of stupid mental gymnastics on the writers’ part to justify the franchise’s existence as a serious piece of political commentary when it’s just a dumb slasher franchise. Nothing more, nothing less.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
Spoilery Stuff from RDR2:

||  
I’m disappointed that we didn’t have an option to deliver a well deserved comeuppance to a certain group of bratty boys…

After Bronte’s death, there should’ve been a side mission where Arthur revisits those punk boys and tells them about Bronte becoming gator chow which scares them shitless to the point of crying as well as reconsidering their life choices.

Missed opportunity Rockstar. ||
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Of all the thousands and thousands of SCPs, I have to say that my personal favorite is the ever growing list of anomalous ducks.

Just this idea of a parade of random rubber ducks, each doing something weird and inane, is just such a wonderful thing.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide