The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
I’m trying to determine what the most powerful “all consuming swarm” race in sci fi is. And I mean if they were put on equal terms, with equal amounts of units and resources. Because obviously at full strength something like the Nids from 40k would come out on top.

So far I’ve built my list from memory-

The Tyranids from 40k.  
The Zerg from Starcraft.  
The Flood from Halo.  
Unity from Deadspace.  
The Borg from Star Trek.  
The Replicators from Stargate.  
The Aperoids from StarFox (lots of stars).  
The Bydo from R-Type.

That’s just from the ones I can remember, since its such a common scifi trope.

Out of all of those, in a “fair” fight, I think actually the Bydo would win. The ability to phase out into energy, become invulnerable, and infect/control other people and ships just by touching them is pretty OP. Oh and the fact that they’re all horrible penis and vagina monsters just for the added horror factor.

The Flood would be the weakest as their entire strength relies on how well they can infect and control others, not in the bioforms the can make. The Zerg and Nids would likely adapt to fast for them to infect, and they’d outright lose against the entirely mechanical Replicators.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Zincy

I only know of the Zerg, Flood, Aperoids and Necromorphs.

It’s a tough call on which is the most superior of those 4 because it really depends on the context and what you’d call a win condition.

Like, Necromorphs have easily the most powerful conversion method as it’s based on radiation and converts down to even the most inert deceased cell. If it comes down to a “zombification tug of war” over who gets control of a host, I think they win. Shoot, just dropping a Marker on any of the other’s controlled worlds would likely mean they can brainwash and convert enough of the opposing side to significantly tipped the odds in their favor. And if they somehow make it to Convergence and successfully make a Brother Moon? It doesn’t matter how you slice it, that’s GG right there. Their only real disadvantage is…they dumb. 99.9% of Necromorphs are just feral animals, with no real strategy beyond “Run like hell at whatever isn’t already one of them then slash the hell out of until it’s dead/another one of them.” Even the smarter ones don’t have a concept of technology, so whatever planet they’re on they’re stuck on until they make a Brother Moon. And most other spacefaring races aren’t opposed to nuking from orbit so…

Zerg holds a dubious distinction in the fact that their infestation can canonically be cured…and has been with surprising frequency. That pretty much means their infection method is pretty low on the totem poll. They definitely have one of the strongest armies out there, but if one of their leaders get converted then that’s an entire race under control. Even if psionic hive mind gets cut and the infested leader doesn’t just go “We with X now, play nice” then it’s canon that a leaderless zerg is so impotent that backwater hunters start hunting them for sport. If conversion wasn’t a factor I’d put them higher on the list, but their hierarchy gimps them against other zombie races.

It’s been so long since I played Star Fox that I forget the nitty gritty about the Aperoids. But from what I remember their main advantage over other zombie races is that they convert their victims into machine-hybrids. Other zombies need flesh to convert, but if the flesh is also metal that leaves them with a pretty big disadvantage. I’d almost say of these 4 the zerg would’ve been a hard counter for the Aperoids since zerg’s strength doesn’t lie in their conversion, but then I remembered zerg’s hive mind still gimps them if their leaders start getting converted.

In theory, the Flood should be the top dog of these 4, and I dare say of at least half the other races you mentioned. But their obscene, transcendental and metaphysical/multiversal feats are restricted to supplementary material and frankly doesn’t mesh well with their in-game depictions. So their main claim to victory is the fact that they can fairly quickly form a Gravemind to give their horde direction, and at that point you’re fighting a horde that can and will use your own technology against you. Doesn’t matter what, it’ll figure it out quick and now you’re fighting your own ships with tumors growing out of it.

So I’d say the ranking goes Zerg < Flood < Necromorph (assuming nuked from orbit before Convergence) < Aperoid < Necromorph (if Convergence is achieved).
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

[screams in German]
I honestly wish Mei and MK were a thing. Like, there’s nothing wrong with them just being best friends but my heart :(
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Angrybrony

Yeah the Flood has a much easier time getting a Gravemind compiled than Necromorphs get a Brother Moon. Shoot, even a Proto-Gravemind means the Flood go from “mindless horde that just barely remembers how to shoot your guns” to “That’s a nice ship you have there…”

It’s pretty much everything after that where they fall short compared to the Necromorphs. The Flood infects by what amounts to spreading mummified precursor spores that act as an infectious bacteria. So all that pollen you’re breathing means you’re already boned. All that gooey puss the Flood is constantly dripping and flinging? Also filled with diseased Precursor bacteria. The Necromorphs however works on a much smaller, invasive level by their Markers using what amounts to radiation to convert deceased tissue into Necromorph mass. Even the hundreds of dead skin cells flaking off your body at any given moment is now another Necromoph biomass. And there in lies the stink with them; you can’t kill a necromorph; at best you just blow off enough limbs or break enough of its bones or sever enough ligaments so it can’t move. At best you can render them inert, but then later on other necros will just drag the biomass over to a pile to convert it to higher tier organisms.

Frankly whether the Flood can beat the Necromorphs depend on how they are kinda teetering on the edge of a living or dead organism and the fact that the Timeless One is deceptively smart. If the Flood are dead, well, GG. Drop a Marker and that’s an instant win for Dead Space. If they’re considered alive, then the question becomes if the Timeless One can figure out he needs to yeet those Markers clear across the galaxy (which will instantly “deactivate” all Necromorphs outside of its signal range) before he’s driven mad by its signal. And no, he must boot them away. Even the smallest shard of a destroyed Marker still has all the energy and capabilities of a fully constructed one.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Scrabbleman  
…  
Monkey Kid? Where do you watch this? Animation is clean af and I can’t believe LEGO of all thing, could be so ANIME.

I only ever saw Revenge of Spider Queen so ofc my initial impression of Mei was like “oh hey the show is shipping the obnoxious genki girl with the insufferable evil genius rival to the main character. I mean why not”

Since Revenge of Spider Queen didn’t even bother doing anything with Mei x MK, I thought Mei x Red Son has already been established prior to said episode, and was the default ship, considering it’s played up so naturally.
Background Pony #34FA
I don’t get people’s obsession with pretty prose.

I’ll take a book with crude prose but with good story/characters over a book with pretty prose but with a bad or uninteresting story.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Background Pony #34FA

Depending on how you define “crude” you’d likely enjoy my works.

I’ve always had a slight annoyance toward works that read like Tolkien’s. I love LoTR and things associated with it, so that’s not a shot at him, but works since his. A lot of fantasy writers really took the “fancy high english” thing and ran with it. Focusing more on making their words sound pretty and high class, and showing off that they have access to a thesaurus.

I prefer my characters to talk like actual people, not failed thespians in a theater group.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide