Unpopular opinion time (super alpha no pony edition)

TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@Twi Clown  
I see.

Yeah, I will admit, a character kind of loses the relatability factor when they’re either too pitiful or too OP. Or in the case of Chris Thorndyke, both somehow. (Man, how do you botch a character that hard?)
Twi Clown
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
@TheHappySpaceman

Even a character that you should feel bad at times can be somewhat too much of a woobie to actually admire, support or relatate.

There’s another two examples, but those a pony examples so I don’t know if I should post it here.
Twi Clown
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Übermensch in training
@TheHappySpaceman

Well.

I cahnge and I must say they are three examples instead of two, but I must admit that this baggage is the reason why I didn’t warm out to Fluttershy, Sci-Twi and Marble Pie.

Fluttershy is supposed to be perceived as shy and introvert that must learn to be assertive. Problem is, not only the proccess is rather way slower than what I like, but the constant coddling she receives from the fandom and the need of constantly made us feel bad for her at times get grating. Is even worse when sometimes the show has to make others look bad so Fluttershy cn be perceived as right. Also, during the first episodes, her “woobie” traits often work on the detriment of her own friends. Sure, she gets better as the time passes, but still, it seems Fluttershy must be seen as the nicest girl who rarely do things wrong and you should feel bad for her.

Sci-Twi starts lacking the traits that made me like regular Twilight. Not only that, some people try to compare with S1 Twi, despite the fact that S1 twi’s issues were more down to be smart but unwilling to do teamwork, often being too asserted in her own facts to accept others, being somewhat temperamental, etc. Sci-Twi however is introduced as a bullied meek character who constantly needs help from others and at times feel like a purple Fluttershy at times. In fact, EG Fluttershy is more often than not more assertive than her. While I could understand that her bullying in Friendship games and being exploited by her principal might justify some of her behavior, in legend of everfree those traits get augmented when she’s not with Timber and again, her “woobie” traits work more on her detriment and the detriment of others. Even nowadays she’s more like the nerd with the data girl of the team rather than the smartass leader like regular Twi.

Marble have little screentime compared to the aforement two, and her character resolves as being too shy to even talk like anyone else, not even within her family. And then there’s the whole ship sinking and now, outside of a small glare she gave to Limestone, Marble is just a shy adorable character that can’t really stand up by herself.

Regular woobies are characters that still try to sort things out despite everything, often have meaningful moments to be ocasionally happy, can have a backbone for themselves, are usually activelly looking for help instead of bottling things up and can be many more things. There’s however a point when trying to make a character pitiful often works too well to the point you lose any relatability with them.
Twi Clown
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Übermensch in training
Harley Quinn is another example. I mean, sure, it sucks your boyfriend is abusive, but the fact that it affects her career as both as a psychiatrist and even as a villain (given that she’s way more succesful when doing for herself or with a companion like Poison Ivy or the Suicide Squad), can be brought back with simply some sweet words and the sort……..I don’t know, it feels like the character becomes evil and unsympathetic because she can’t grown out of her obsession for her boyfriend.
Twi Clown
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Übermensch in training
@TheHappySpaceman

Point being is that even tryng to make a character a woobie can backfire if you make him too pitiable or if the admirable, likeable and relatable traits are not enough to make up for her screwed life.
Twi Clown
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Übermensch in training
@Meanlucario

Well, I mostly talk about the comics. I haven’t read it but I knew if I can recall that Harley was less of a doormat there and indeed abandoned the Joker and went with the Suicide Squad.

The movie indeed play it as a lovey dovey thing, but since I grown with the animated series, my impressions about Harley are mostly painted by that source.
Absol95

IN-TELLI-VISION!
Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag was the last good Assassin’s creed game. The Ultima franchise stopped being good after 7.  
TES series should be put to rest after VI. I find it interesting to note that Sith Lords never say “May the Force Be with You” in the current canon.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide