Unpopular opinion time (super alpha no pony edition)

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Sparx  
There’s some pretty easy levels, and missions too actually, I recall. So I feel the challenge is balanced.

Not to mention, there are harder Mario games that nobody complains about.

@Mikey  
Oddly, I didn’t have too much problems on Corona Mountain.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Sparx
The only real b.s. though is like, the pachinko, the poison river, corona mountain, and the blue coins.

This tbh. I feel like people play up other levels just to meme. And I never see people do this about anything in SM64 so I just smell bias. (not from you guys)

@Beau Skunky  
I don’t bash things out of spite, I bash things I dislike, regardless of other people’s opinions. It actually frustrates me when I can’t express my real opinions on things that the collective internet has decided is just all ‘good’ or even all ‘bad’. if it bothers people that i dislike popular things, that’s on them. I’m not going to not express myself just because it’s unpopular.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@LightningBolt  
Yeah, SM64 had it’s share of hard missions too. And not to mention people are fine with “Galaxy 2’s” difficulty, and it’s harder then “Sunshine.”

I understand, as I said I like some unpopular games, and such too, and get heat for it, but I’d go a li’l easier on bashing too, if you don’t want people bashing what you like, as well. There is a difference between negative criticism, and bashing.
rdibp
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
Sunshine is still my favorite 3D Mario. It’s nowhere near as broken or buggy as people make it out to be.
rdibp
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
@Mikey  
Odyssey probably comes second for me. I’m willing to admit that my love for Sunshine is a bit of a nostalgia bias. :P
LightningBolt
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Sunshine is the only one I like lol. I’m just generally not a fan of Mario games due to how Mario controls. FLUDD gives more help when platforming and that helps with the normal shortcomings I find in Mario game controls. To most people this is a ‘bad’ thing because it ‘makes it easier’. To me, it makes it actually fun and tolerable. I grew up playing platformers with more forgiving and dynamic movement like Spyro, Sonic, and even Ty, so I am not very fond of Mario’s more stiff movement with less forgiveness, It’s just not fun to me.

But FLUDD and Yoshi help with that greatly and make it actually fun.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Sparx  
I can get hit as much as I want, jumping and hitting enemies from any angles works and not just on top of them, more air movement and control.

I fail to see how this isn’t ‘more freedom’. Mario feels stiff and inflexible to me. I have to jump on top of enemies and rely on whatever hit points system the game provides, and jumping and trying to move in midair is just weird feeling.

I’m starting to think that just no one on the internet can comprehend a person who grew up with platformers that were not Mario and how Mario can feel unfamiliar and unfun to them and just uses it as a baseline and pretends that everyone ever played SM64 and loved it and played it before any other platformer ever.

My experience playing games didn’t have Mario in it until i played Mario sports and party games and paper mario on GCN in 2007 with a friend, and no platformer until SMW on GBA and Sunshine on GCN later that year. So of course those would be the mario games I actually like and compare all the rest to, and I don’t like the rest.

I don’t like the boost Sonic games no, but I’d still sooner play them than basically any mainline Mario game as those give me more fun, even if it’s minimal fun. I bitch about Generations daily but I’d still sooner play it over SM64, at least I can mod the fuck out of it and play as Shadow.
Sparx
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
more air movement and control.

‘Sometimes’ as well as wonky physics.

I fail to see how this isn’t ‘more freedom’. Mario feels stiff and inflexible to me. I have to jump on top of enemies and rely on whatever hit points system the game provides, and jumping and trying to move in midair is just weird feeling.

Sonic has had games games which you enjoy that are notorious for being slippery and being difficult to control and having similar momentum when it comes to jumping like Mario so I find that hard to believe.

I’m starting to think that just no one on the internet can comprehend a person who grew up with platformers that were not Mario and how Mario can feel unfamiliar and unfun to them and just uses it as a baseline and pretends that everyone ever played SM64 and loved it and played it before any other platformer ever.

Stop being melodramatic. >.>  
I get that you prefer anthro over human-like characters and all but some of these criticisms just don’t hold up .You’re overly biased.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Gameplay The Pony  
So? People play games for different reasons.

@Sparx  
‘Sometimes’ as well as wonky physics.

Where?

Sonic has had games games which you enjoy that are notorious for being slippery and being difficult to control and having similar momentum when it comes to jumping like Mario so I find that hard to believe.

Oh right, because Mario is perfect. I forgot, silly me.

Stop being melodramatic. >.>
I get that you prefer anthro over human-like characters and all but some of these criticisms just don’t hold up .You’re overly biased.

This doesn’t even have anything to do with character but gameplay. I am explaining why I dislike one game’s style versus another’s and I am being called melodramatic for explaining both that and what I see frequently on the internet. Maybe if my experiences were responded to without being told how they are inaccurate or how the things I like are actually not good and I’m wrong I’d be less inclined to be aggressive against the things I’m not a fan of. People have different perspectives, I really so not care if the general consensus is that X is good and that Y is bad or that X is this and Y is that.

I have fun with Sonic that I don’t with Mario, I’m not trying to make this big statement that one is good and one is bad, but that my experiences with one is more fun and enjoyable even regardless of any inherit flaws as you can’t ever talk about Sonic without someone telling you how buggy and messy and bad it is every single time.

This is the unpopular opinion thread, my unpopular opinion is that I have a different perspective on platformer games than most people.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
This is the unpopular opinion thread, my unpopular opinion is that I have a different perspective on platformer games than most people.

I think a lot of people here are forgetting that to be honest.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Mikey  
That’s what I find great about it. I find it a lot more rewarding when you get a goal and you have to get from Point A to Point B to reach it and it’s all the more satisfying when you finish it. That and the wide away of variety for the galaxies was what made it a splendid game for me.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide