Vent thread

tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@TheSultanAkbar  
…  
I woulda…disagree.  
People in 2020 have been realizing that well… apparently they _want segregation based on whether characters have a pecker or bobs and vagene, in their entertainment.

Boys Club, no girls allowed.  
Girls Club, no boys allowed.

Unless for romance or fanservice or for side characters. THAT’S IT.

SO. Have men ONLY, good. Have women ONLY, good.

You don’t see major riots on the internet over a series of an all female cartoon that had been running for nine seasons now, do they? NINE SEASONS. It’s a series that is unapologetically and unironically All Female, in a decade rife with cancel culture, yet it has not been cancelled.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Here’s the issue:

If you start off a series with like a Power Ranger with about 60/40 female-male main chara distribution (in any order) then adding maybe another female or male to the main chara roster wouldn’t be weird. Look at Teen Titans or Young Justice. Nobody’s complaining if they added a boy or a girl.

But if you start off a series with a 100% all male or all girl cast of main characters–YOU CAN’T just add a random opposite gender character to the main roster because it will feel weird. very weird. people still hate it, for some reason. But in 2020 we should strive to work past the initial squickiniess rather than trying to rid the new, opposite gender character.

Same with race.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@tehwatever  
In fairness, Spike is still a pretty prominent male character in MLP, and there are plenty of popular side/gag/BG male characters too. So it’s not “all girl” frankly.

Gender segregation is kinda ridiculous. There’s plenty of shows/games/ect. with good characters of both genders.

Also, you don’t have to want to do “it” with a character in order to enjoy them, I don’t get why some act that way.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@RadioDemon  
I give it another two decades where everywhere is female and ppl realize female chara are about as obnoxious as male chara, and ppl will start propping up male stuff to counteract the overabundance of female.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Beau Skunky

I just saw the trailer. That’s what people freak out about? Huh, okay, I guess. Female Lombax, big deal. But fanboying is sometimes really absurd (at least to me). I can’t say much about the character herself. Looks cute (so does Ratchet), the voice seems nice (for one word), but I was most fascinated by the cybernetic arm. ;-)

As for the sexualization of female characters, I still quote Jessica Rabbit: I’m Not Bad, I’m Just Drawn That Way. This sentence contains more truth than you can see at first glance when you think about it.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

So it’s not “all girl” frankly
sorry, but I can’t have it. It’s an all girl. you can see that the balance tip way too heavily on the girl side that Spike and Sunburst and Big Mac and Discord feels like “Token Male” chara than actual blokes who shape the overall narrative.

Spike IS pretty prominent but he’s never the highlight of the series. Even Starlight “I got here in Season 6” Glimmer felt way more prominent than the veteran Spike, to the point that they share roles now. Why. How.
Background Pony #CB65
@Flutter_Lover  
Shout the gamer word at them! What could possibly go wrong?

@TheSultanAkbar  
Hell, even I have a few waifus.

I have a few waifus

a few waifus

you treacherous philanderer reeeee

@tehwatever  
I have to sadly agree with you here. MLP lacks any compelling male characters in prominent roles and even among side characters very few are anything other than one-dimensional. When the target audience is young girls that’s not a problem but it leads to pitiable results for the older fandom. It’s why so many fan-fictions feature either an egregious self-insert in a fulfillment fantasy, a poorly written OC, or a lesbian coupling simply because there aren’t any good male characters who aren’t already hitched. Of course there are exceptions but they are relatively few. I’m willing to bet that the incest art on DB would be a fraction of what it is if there was an equal ratio.

Also, shipping within fandoms is always cringe, but the reason that Flash Sentry caused such drama is because there aren’t any other real contenders. Male characterization in the show is just hilariously bad, with surfer-dude Shining Armor being a prominent example.

It does lead to interesting headcanons though like the male population being all but wiped out in a war…with no other indication in the show that such a war took place.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Flash Sentry caused such drama is because there aren’t any other real contenders
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Only an alien invasion of highly advanced technology vastly superior from our own with an intent of exterminating all life on earth can end humanity’s generational self harming permanently.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide