Vent thread

Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@TheHappySpaceman  
Unless they wrote you first - that is, unless your submission was “solicited”, then it’s very unusual to get any kind of “Nope” letter from anyplace that doesn’t have actual staff. So, if it was a zine, then not hearing from them is kind of usual.

In fact, it’s not unheard of for your submission to get used and even STILL never get a reply.

A lot of times, with cattle calls, the “Thank you, we’ll call you” just means “Nope - try again later.”

The solution is to just keep drawing, and submit more.

If you don’t have two or three submissions out pretty much all the time, then nothing seems to happen. It isn’t until you are busy that all of a sudden you get BUSY. So just get busy :)

It’s like juggling. If you want to juggle, you’re going to spend a lot of time dropping balls. So get good at dropping balls.

If you want to be an artist, art. And just keep arting. Never stop.

Just because some zine didn’t choose you or your piece doesn’t mean that there isn’t a zine out there dying for your submission - you just need to find them.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Pomegranates :P
How much do you want to bet people are just going to forget all about this epidemic going on right now in China once a “new thing” appears like a wild fire on the news streams like what happened to Hong Kong?  
Barely anyone is talking about that, Iran, Amazon fire, or the Australia fires now.

A testament to the utterly short attention span the masses have.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@Derpy Whooves  
In the past, I have received emails from zines I’ve been rejected from. What’s more, other friends of mine who were also rejected did receive emails from this particular zine telling them they were rejected, which leads me to believe that I’m not only a crap artist, I’m also such a crap artist that people don’t even want to associate with me.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@TheHappySpaceman  
Those zines that replied to you are ones you should keep submitting to. If they replied to you, then you have a relationship with them, and that can help over time get you small pieces.

I don’t know what the zines are, but try doing cover art for stories within them, or “Action Scenes” from stories that are on-going - those kinds of little one-off submissions can really build up a pool of art that you can use to build a portfolio, and single-use images are often a LOT easier to sell than any kind of ongoing story or involvement.

Just keep going. If you like drawing, draw, and if you like a zine, keep submitting pieces to them.

Eventually one of them might pick up one of your pieces for an action shot or a one-page, or even a cover or an ad.

And if it helps, look at the biographies of your favorite artists. Look at how they deal with rejection. Because anyone who is a professional artist today has been rejected SO VERY VERY VERY MUCH. It’s just a part of the job, and … if I may be so bold … the lifestyle.

For me, I draw because it keeps me sane. If I don’t draw, I don’t feel right. So I draw.

Selling pieces and getting published is just a happy coincidence.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.

So as it turns out, I may have jumped the gun a bit. Apparently they did send me an email confirming that I was accepted, but my inbox may have just moved it to spam.

I’m dumb, whoops. (:
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@TheHappySpaceman  
Zines? as in MAGazines?  
Well…  
in my case I do contests and I never break through. Problem with art and judges are that…you can’t really do anything about them.  
As for them not telling you–I really don’t want you thinking that your art is so bad they don’t even want to maintain contact. I want you thinking that they’re just negligent guys who never really bothered with ppl they don’t hire.

Take me for example. My day job is a waiter in a restaurant–that’s my official title and pay grade. I make minimum wage. But my actual day job is everything front-of-house related and many times I also have to screen applicants (even if we’re not hiring) and apologize for not even considering them.

I do that a LOT and boy I ignored a shit ton of them without even being courteous enough to tell them anything. Does that make the applicants a bad candidate? NO! Some of them are far more qualified than I am–BUT I WORK FOR FREE BASICALLY, for upwards of 80 HOURS of per week! and No sane fucking person wants that shit except me–who had no choice in the matter. Either this job or fuck off outta Spain.

Point is don’t think so lowly of yourself like that; it stunts your growth and becomes an infinite downward spiral of disappointments and self-hate. TRUST ME ON THIS. I’M ON THE GODDAMN SPIRAL.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide