What do I do if my family finds out I like MLP?

General Discussion » What do I do if my family finds out I like MLP? Search Posts
Background Pony #DF34
Dear reader,
I am a 19-year-old male, and I am a fan of MLP just like the rest of you. However, I have a problem. My entire life, I have grown up in a staunchly conservative, Christian household. While I do love my family, I am terrified of their judgement. I have been judged heavily by every member of my family while growing up. If I did anything slightly feminine or slightly unconventional, I would be subject to teasing, occasional harassment, and open judgement. Now that I am an adult however, I have found myself to be exploring the side of myself that I have kept in a metaphorical ‘box’ for so long. Ponies, have become a part of that discovery. I love this show, I love the music, the characters, the story, the world, the fandom, I love everything about it. It has made me extremely happy these last few months.
It may be easy for you too just tell me to, “Don’t care what they think” or “Just do what you love” but with my anxiety it’s just not that simple. The fear of being figured out looms over me every waking moment. I have spent hours calculating and practicing for how I will react if said discovery happens to take place. Nothing that I have thought of seems to ease my worries. To those of you who are either in a similar situation and made it past that confrontation, or those of you who have helped someone, or anyone willing to give advice, what do you think should be my best course of action, in the event that I am confronted about this?
Thank you for your time.
-Anonymous Pony Fan.
kleptomage
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

I take it you live with your family? You’re not going to like this and I’m sure it won’t be easy, but the best thing to do is to keep this part of yourself secret until you get your own place.
SaturnCarArtz
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Rarity Lover / Derpy Fan
I got into MLP in February 2017.
September, I told my parents and….
They don’t mind. They’re chill with it. So I guess I got off lucky. ^ ^
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
It sounds like your problem is not that your family might find out that you like something, but that you have an unresolved or untreated anxiety disorder.
Even if you ‘unlike’ MLP and get rid of all evidence that you ever liked it, you will still have ‘something else’ that you will be afraid of being found out.
Deal with the ‘afraid of being found out’ instead.
The longer you let an anxiety issue go, the worse it can get, and it is the kind of thing that is SUPER happy to transfer itself to whatever the latest or newest ‘thing to be anxious about’.
Untreated, it can become a really debilitating disability that can haunt the rest of your life.
So, you might wanna get that looked at.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
I guess just pour your heart out and admit that you like it because it’s a really great show, I’m sure they’ll understand
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide