Cartoon/Western Animation General

Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@WyrmSpawN  
It’s just a shame a lot of these newer showrunners using established IPs from the 80’s only see the paint on the house, but never see how it’s built. They’ll change it so much it’s unrecognizable, then when fans, the fans that kept it alive for so many years don’t like all these changes it’s the same old story of whatever they can throw at them for a crowd that cares more about Retweets, funco pops and their fanfictions.

Then, when it turns out to be a failure, they’ll go back to promoting the classic while the showrunners remain in denial their “re-imagined Better version” was a flop because of all the press kissing it’s ass, when they could have easily went for their throat if one thing wasn’t done the way they wanted it.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Cyborg_pony

Remakes sometimes work out just fine. The She Ra reboot did very well, and the new He Man looks like it’ll be fun.

The Thundercats reboot from like 2013 was really good. Shame that poor marketing and the worst timeslot imaginable killed it after its second season.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@WyrmSpawN
It’s just a shame a lot of these newer showrunners using established IPs from the 80’s only see the paint on the house, but never see how it’s built. They’ll change it so much it’s unrecognizable, then when fans, the fans that kept it alive for so many years don’t like all these changes it’s the same old story of whatever they can throw at them for a crowd that cares more about Retweets, funco pops and their fanfictions.
Then, when it turns out to be a failure, they’ll go back to promoting the classic while the showrunners remain in denial their “re-imagined Better version” was a flop because of all the press kissing it’s ass, when they could have easily went for their throat if one thing wasn’t done the way they wanted it.

…ah, you do know what site you’re posting on don’t you?

Considering both that, the fact that we spend half the time here talking about how good She-Ra was, the fact that Transformers has about fifty billion highly successful adaptions and counting, that Ducktales is dancing happily into it’s third season, that Turtles has had some many well liked adaptions that very few people remember the first series very much, that Voltron went on for ever… frankly the only 80’s adaption that failed was Thundercats.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Philweasel  
When I mentioned 80’s reboots I was thinking mostly of movies. Smurfs,Chipmunks,G.I.Joe, The Transformers series,and things not necessarily cartoon or kid-oriented,like the horrendous RoboCop remake. I was thinking about how for every She-ra or DuckTales we get a bunch of Smurfs 2s.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Dex Stewart  
Smurfs were never good, there wasn’t much lower you could get. Honestly I think the Chipmunks reboots were about on par.

Say what you will about Bayformers, but G1 wasn’t great all the time, and the movie objectively sucks. And Bayformers is still better than Armada and Energon.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

@Philweasel  
I really hate to be the barer of inconvenient truths, but She-ra was nieche and once it ended most of the “fandom” stopped caring about it once the final scene ended, which isn’t shown is Catra beats Adora for overcooking the roast. :V  
fact they pretty much recycled models from another toy line makes me think they were in the know how how popular it was. And yes, it matters. Mattel is still a toy company- and therefore relies on toy sales of their IPs, and it’s SO popular that for Power-Con 2021, there’s no trace of it anywhere and Classic She-Ra is front and center.

The only people who went on about it was news sites, and as I mentioned, could have easily turned on Stevenson for not giving them what they wanted, instead of high praise would be venom and articles of “She-ra really missed the mark” Much like what happened with Voltron- since the fandom became so toxically driven on one thing.

And the need to remind that Thundercats was greenlit, but CN pulled it to be cheap. Not out of lack of interest, but corporate melding. There was quite a fanbase that are still kicked around today (just look at the TTG TCR ‘crossover’ which was more just ego stroking TCR)

Plus, I should have noted, the ones saying they want a Jem reboot is media. The same people that make excuses for why something isn’t as popular because of the “Sexist trolls!” not, because they harass them and demand adoration.

The key thing is: They act entitled to a series and do as they please with it, forgetting that if not for the fans that kept it alive. They wouldn’t have that privilege to butcher it.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Cyborg_pony

You know, I want to know who hurt you. I really do. Because honestly, you seem like a guy with a grudge against something big for slighting you. Was it a girl? A job?

There is an entire movement online for a 6th season, a movie, and web-specials. I can pull up over a thousand pieces of fanart right now, and there’s fan merch out the ass. I’ve got a handmade Catra pin coming tomorrow.

So drop the grumpy guss act you’re always putting on. Its tiring.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
I should give She-Ra another chance after I check out Beastars.

Though maybe I’ve just stopped liking girly things as much after MLP, because I found myself preferring the aesthetic of the Horde over that of Eternia. I dunno.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Some people just cannot bear the thought of someone liking something antithetical to their interests.

Nor can they bear the thought of it actually gaining some level of popularity. It upsets their fragile world view.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@Zincy  
I will admit, it does get a little tedious to see someone feeling the need to say “This sucks actually” every time there’s a conversation remotely related to She-Ra. Like, I don’t even like it, but some people need to move on.

And I’ve seen the same thing happen regarding shows I like on this very thread as well. It’s obnoxious.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@TheHappySpaceman

Because for some people there is a ‘war’ going on. A culture war of which they are ardent champions. From DC vs Marvel to the odious battle between man children and SJWs. It gives them purpose, meaning. So they fight the battles no one asked them to.

Because gods forbid they do anything constructive with their time.

Like the idiots sending death threats to voice actors for games and shows they don’t like.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
Like the idiots sending death threats to voice actors for games and shows they don’t like.

That’s happening in The Dragon Prince‘s fandom with Erik, oof…

Yeah, it’s honestly so stupid to me. And the fact that people must always choose one show/fandom over another and bash the other one. Must everything be competition? Why can’t we all just get along?
Cyborg_pony

@Zincy  
The fact you have the feeling to assault me over a cartoon show, kind of says the reverse.

Especially, from what I saw, many were trying to get the fans to jump on another show, completely abandoning what they said they loved. Kind of like Catra how Catra did, in season 1, and blamed it on Adora, till she was back with her to punish her for disobedience. :V

I’ve never felt the need to beat someone over anything, and I like plenty of things that people seem to love hating.  
Like the season finale of MLP: FiM. :V

I guess putting so much of your self-worth, esteem on the popularity of a cartoon isn’t really the healthiest thing, and it can lead to some outward aggression towards the “sinners” as it were.

We all have crosses to bare, best not make it heavier then it needs be.  
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Cyborg_pony

Nah mate, that was a jab directly at you over your general behavior. Overall. Not just here.

You always seem to act so angry, and like you’ve just got to jab at stuff that upsets you. You, and a few others here, seem to always have to make your displeasure about something known.

Your reaction here was just a jumping off point for that, because it seemed so on point for how you seem to be. How a lot of you seem to be, actually. Like that one guy that goes apeshit when someone doesn’t like the show they like.

Some of you just have so, so much negative angst. And it grows so very tiring.

It seems to be the only way people can communicate anymore.
Dex Stewart
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I’m pretty picky about what I like and I likeded the new  
She-ra.  
I was even a fan of the original,which seems to be rare.  
As for She-ra fans no longer caring since it’s over,there have been multiple petitions to Netflix to make more or do a follow-up movie. Fans are also anxious for a potential Christmas special that may introduce additional MOTU characters.  
I’m sure fans will be additionally ignited once the two(!)new MOTU series premiere.  
Good Journey!
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Criticism is all well and good. And needed.

But lately people seem to think they’ve just got to make sure that everyone knows they don’t like this one thing, or that one thing.

Pettiness is not a new trait, but social media has made it all the more visible.
Cyborg_pony

@Zincy  
Says the person that wants to assault someone over something as petty as not liking a cartoon show and any criticism is seen as near blasphemy.

The fact you have to Assume there’s something wrong with the critic of the thing you hold so sacred with the most negative angst drawn at them since they’ve made themselves a target for your direct ire.

It’s Not a good look overall, especially since a lot of the old fans were of race, gender, sexuality and they were instantly told they’ll no longer welcome and were seen as wrong for simply not liking it. The harassment faced by them from the quote NU fans that most fled once the last season aired is quite revolting, given the number of women and LGBT that worked on the original show where then told their work was wrong and should feel ashamed.

You could say, the promotion and fandom of new she-ra was really… bigoted to say the least.  
Dex Stewart
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Cyborg_pony  
I didn’t like Avatar The Last Airbender. I didn’t like the main characters.i thought they were annoying. I didn’t like their voices. No matter how good the show is,if you don’t like the main characters,it can be hard to get by.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide