Viewing last 25 versions of post by DarkObsidian in topic General Anime Thread

DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Is it really just me, or do anime these days offer you extremely strongly: Hey, read the light novel, or at least buy the manga.

I mean, no biggie. If you know where to look, you can get the manga relatively quickly and without a problem. For free (cough). But I still don't get along with the concept of light novels.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against it. But I have read a lot of novels in my life. And light novels still feel pretty... to me. Hm... Simple. Is this some Japanese thing that I just don't get? Or are light novels really what I know from the game genre as well. Just don't read the text, just ... In my opinion, there are two/three types of games: Visual Novels that are really great; Novels that are simply fanservice and those that are just: Join our game and get all your waifus.

Just to explain: I'm not complaining. I'm neither for nor against it. I'm from the 90s and I'm more familiar with this combination of manga and anime. But light novels... I still can't figure it out.

Either the anime is awesome and the manga is fantastic, but there's still a lot more light novel stuff, or the anime lags behind the whole thing so much that after a while I'm uncomfortable having to still read the manga AND light novels to really understand it all.

To me, at least up to this point, light novels feel like a pretty cheap product that hangs ahead of the whole thing faster, just to see how many people are actually interested in the product. And that feels to me like a really cheap way to gauge the fanbase. Especially when the anime is actually great, but you discontinue it because hey, we're just not making enough money off of it.

Sorry, I know creating anime is a tough job and you want to make as much money as possible with it. All good, I can accept that if an anime is based more on a light novel, and that creates enough content to justify more seasons of an anime.

But... It still doesn't really work for me. Sometimes I wish I could go back to earlier times when anime was almost entirely based on manga. And like movies based on light novels. But this whole intermix thing right now, to me, is a dead end in the way anime is supposed to work. Especially in that many projects are often canceled just because the light novel doesn't sell. Or, to make it even more clear, when the light novel doesn't work, and you get extremely bad 2nd or 3rd seasons as a result.

Sorry, no bitch complaint. Just my question: How do you see this. Have you had good or bad experiences.? And what should you actually focus on as an anime fan these days? Simple hint: I care zero about English dub. Only Japanese English/German sub. ;-)

No reason given
Edited by DarkObsidian
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Is it really just me, or do anime these days offer you extremely strongly: Hey, read the light novel, or at least buy the manga.

I mean, no biggie. If you know where to look, you can get the manga relatively quickly and without a problem. For free (cough). But I still don't get along with the concept of light novels.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against it. But I have read a lot of novels in my life. And light novels still feel pretty... to me. Hm... Simple. Is this some Japanese thing that I just don't get? Or are light novels really what I know from the game genre as well. Just don't read the text, just ... In my opinion, there are two/three types of games: Visual Novels that are really great; Novels that are simply fanservice and those that are just: Join our game and get all your waifus.

Just to explain: I'm not complaining. I'm neither for nor against it. I'm from the 90s and I'm more familiar with this combination of manga and anime. But light novels... I still can't figure it out.

Either the anime is awesome and the manga is fantastic, but there's still a lot more light novel stuff, or the anime lags behind the whole thing so much that after a while I'm uncomfortable having to still read the manga AND light novels to really understand it all.

To me, at least up to this point, light novels feel like a pretty cheap product that hangs ahead of the whole thing faster, just to see how many people are actually interested in the product. And that feels to me like a really cheap way to gauge the fanbase. Especially when the anime is actually great, but you discontinue it because hey, we're just not making enough money off of it.

Sorry, I know creating anime is a tough job and you want to make as much money as possible with it. All good, I can accept that if an anime is based more on a light novel, and that creates enough content to justify more seasons of an anime.

But... It still doesn't really work for me. Sometimes I wish I could go back to earlier times when anime was almost entirely based on manga. And like movies based on light novels. But this whole intermix thing right now, to me, is a dead end in the way anime is supposed to work. Especially in that many projects are often canceled just because the light novel doesn't sell. Or, to make it even more clear, when the light novel doesn't work, and you get extremely bad 2nd or 3rd seasons as a result.

Sorry, no bitch complaint. Just my question: How do you see this. Have you had good or bad experiences. And what should you actually focus on as an anime fan these days? Simple hint: I care zero about English dub. Only Japanese English/German sub. ;-)

No reason given
Edited by DarkObsidian
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0

But bright... It still doesn't really work for me. Sometimes I wish I could go back to earlier times when anime was almost entirely based on manga. And like movies based on light novels. But this whole intermix thing right now, to me, is a dead end in the way anime is supposed to work. Especially in that many projects are often canceled just because the light novel doesn't sell. Or, to make it even more clear, when the light novel doesn't work, and you get extremely bad 2nd or 3rd seasons as a result.

Sorry, no bitch complaint. Just my question: How do you see this Have you had good or bad experiences. And what should you actually focus on as an anime fan these days? Simple hint: I care zero about English dub. Only Japanese English/German sub. ;-)

No reason given
Edited by DarkObsidian
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0

But bright... It doesn't really work for me. Sometimes I wish I could go back to earlier times when anime was almost entirely based on manga. And like movies based on light novels. But this whole intermix thing right now, to me, is a dead end in the way anime is supposed to work. Especially in that many projects are often canceled just because the light novel doesn't sell. Or, to make it even more clear, when the light novel doesn't work, and you get extremely bad 2nd or 3rd seasons as a result.

Sorry, no bitch complaint. Just my question: How do you see this Have you had good or bad experiences. And what should you actually focus on as an anime fan these days? Simple hint: I care zero about English dub. Only Japanese English/German sub. ;-)

No reason given
Edited by DarkObsidian
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against it. But I have read a lot of novels in my life. And light novels still feel pretty... to me. Hm... Simple. Is this some Japanese thing that I just don't get? Or are light novels really what I know from the game genre as well.

Just bdon't read the text, just ... In my opinion, there are two/three types of games: Visual Novels that are really great; Novels that are simply fanservice and those that are just: Join our game and get all your waifus.

Just to e
xplain: I'm not complaining. I'm neither for nor against it. I'm from the 90s and I'm more familiar with this combination of manga and anime. But light novels... I still can't figure it out.

Sorry, I know creating anime is a tough job and you want to make as much money as possible with it. All good, I can accept that if anime is based more on a light novel, and that creates enough content to justify more seasons of an anime.

But bright... It doesn't really work for me. Sometimes I wish I could go back to earlier times when anime was almost entirely based on manga. And like movies based on light novels. But this whole intermix thing right now, to me, is a dead end in the way anime is supposed to work. Especially in that many projects are often canceled just because the light novel doesn't sell. Or, to make it even more clear, when the light novel doesn't work, and you get extremely bad 2nd or 3rd seasons as a result.

No reason given
Edited by DarkObsidian