General Anime Thread

Background Pony #B61C
@dt

I have a bunch on my stream list and several I’ve picked up but haven’t gotten around to watching yet.

I’m going to try to see Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke in theaters.
dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Mob Psycho OVA. Great character acting and great backgrounds, as expected. I also appreciate the solid fashion sense from the boys. Good show is good.

Aikatsu Friends ep 75. Aine and Mio are tested further. I liked that Tamaki trusted them to fix their own problems, and I liked that everyone believed that they could work through it, even when PP began to doubt themselves. The cast literally yelling at the weather was super cheesy, though.

Also rewatched the Autoscorcers ep of Symphogear XV. I’m so impressed bringing them back for half an ep payed off that well.
dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Machikado Mazoku ep 12. I don’t know how you’d say ‘No’ to that.

A great finale. I appreciate that the show doesn’t shy away from how sad Momo’s story actually is. Felt a bit emotional when she was asking Shamiko to promise that she would never leave her. I liked Shamiko countering Momo’s reasoning that just because Momo can’t fix everything doesn’t mean she shouldn’t do anything.

Probably a top 10 show for my year.

Shoujo M continues to be amazing. An unapologetic exploration of some very awful people doing very awful things. I really hope it doesn’t chicken out and give these motherfuckers a happy ending.

Granbelm ep 13. Thematically empty nonsense. The sharpest drop off for an anime I’ve seen all year.

This show got by almost entirely on the strength of the character writing, especially the main pair, and then gives an ending that just dismisses their struggles. Like, Mangetsu’s story was about how she felt so empty and alone to the point of being suicidal, and Shingetsu’s story was how power isolated her and ruined all her relationships. And the show decides that they’re fine? They actually let Mangetsu have her wish and let her sacrifice herself, and Shingetsu decided a life of solitude is okay because Reasons. The show just dismisses their stories to serve some higher philosophical purpose. They both get miserable endings because… life is hard but beautiful? Is the moral that depressed people should just find a cause to give their life for?

And the finale continued to try to get me to sympathize with Suishou just because of some vague notion that she was forced into doing Bad Things, but they had only never shown her actively enjoying doing Bad Things. Even if I could accept that everything is Magic’s fault, taking away all agency and responsibility from the characters just makes them less interesting. Yuuki Aoi was great, though. Got a lot out of some mediocre writing.

Not to mention we got more pulling new magical abilities out of nowhere. When you try to leverage so much of your tension and drama on the mechanics of your world, those mechanics need to actually make sense for your drama to feel grounded.

Disappointing.

Aikatsu Friends ep 76. I have to question the decision to end the show on the producers getting married. Their relationship was barely touched on, maybe two eps covered it. I guess they didn’t want it to feel like the end of the kids’ stories, but it is. I guess you could draw parallels to PP’s story, but this was kind of a weak way to confirm the implications from earlier eps.

Still better than Granbelm’s finale.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide