General Anime Thread

dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
there’s simply SO MANY really good shows out now (and more coming 3 or 4 times a year), that I don’t think any will ever develop the absolute stranglehold on popular culture those three had.

For some added context, guess how many TV anime are airing this season.

||Close to 60. ||

I think only two aren’t getting subbed, and most of those are legal, official subs. Most are seasonal shows as well, ones that are not structured to have one ep every week forever.

(And to take a needless shot at someone, the idea that you’re going to have a real idea of what the entire season is like watching 3.1 shows is delusional.)

In an era of this level of accessibility, coupled with the fact that most shows are not designed to run forever, it’s very unlikely you’re going to have shows that will be a part of people’s lives for years. Even with something as popular as KnY, people will just move on to the next thing.

So I agree that MHA isn’t iconic, because it’s from a different era.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@dt  
I don’t know about that. In the US, I believe HBO Max has the rights to it.

Either way, do I look like the type of person who can afford more than one streaming service? So yes, I concur.  
full
Random-Rambling
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
@dt  
@Random-Rambling
I wouldn’t call that a bad thing. It’s not like anime IPs can’t be financially successful without being mainstream-popular.

Oh, I agree, many anime are wildly successful and lucrative without being “mainstream”. I’m just saying I don’t think there will ever be another series that absolutely DOMINATED like those three (or like how Pokemon was in the late ’90s-early ’00s).
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Eizouken ep 3. Kanamori is definitely my fave.

The show continues on its school-club story. The fantasy-mode scenes continue to be lot of fun, and of course it casually drops how much work animation actually takes.

I liked the club members learning from each other. Mizusaki and Asakusa show Kanamori what animation is capable of, while Kanamori keeps their ambitions more grounded. No matter how high your ambitions are, there are always going to be practical limitations that you need to deal with. Overcoming production limitations is a hugely underrated element of anime.

This show gets it, man.

full

Dorohedoro ep 2. Getting better, especially the art direction. (Better video quality probably helps, too.)

Now that I’ve settled into this more, I love how they immerse you into this brutal world, but there’s also great little moments of humanity to keep things grounded. Really helps sell this world and the characters’ stories more than if it was just crazy all the time.

Nikaido kinda reminds me of Winry. Not just with the design, but also with how she gives the MC a home to go back to. Nikaido does seem like she’ll have a more active role, which I appreciate.

Fully sold on this now.

full

Heya Camp ep 3. This ep was a fun reminder of how much more fit Nadeshiko is compared to the other club girls. And Rin was here, so that was good.

I was keeping my expectations low because it’s a short, but this series really knows what it’s good at.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

22/7 ep 2. Still intriguing, but more in a “What the hell is this doing” sort of way.

I do enjoy the direction around Miu though, her conflict with Nicole and instant connection with Sakura. It’s cheesy, but I like it.

The girls are cute and all, but narratively, I just don’t get what it’s doing. Most of the scenes just make me think “why?”

Absolutely not feeling this Wall-cult bullshit. Why did they need to audition, when the Wall is supposed to be absolute? What did they think they’d get, just pulling random girls off the street? If the characters have no agency, what the hell is the point? (At least it seems somewhat self-aware?)

Maybe the point of this is that we’re supposed to be as confused as the girls? Maybe this’ll have some amazing payoff, but this is just kinda bewildering right now.

Wanted to get fully caught up tonight and maybe try new stuff tomorrow, but still have MHA left.
Random-Rambling
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
@dt

I have complicated feelings about that series. One line in particular stuck with me: “There can’t possibly be any meaning in this world. But isn’t that wonderful in its own right? Because if there isn’t any, we can find our own.” So much so, that I’ve kind of built my personal belief and world view based on that.

I believe our lives don’t have an inherent meaning, so we make or find our own meaning and purpose. Which is kinda nice, in a “I’m the master of my own destiny” kind of way.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
our lives don’t have an inherent meaning, so we make or find our own meaning and purpose.

I agree with this. I can’t pinpoint when I started to believe in this, but yeah.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
full  
I REALLY don’t know how to feel.I’m just hoping it’s not as bad as Tri.Hey,is Palmon flipping us off?!  
Will this be the Dragonball Super of Digimon?
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
MHA ep 77. Solid closure ep. Awesome performance by Miki Shinichiro. I liked how they circled back to Nighteye’s humor, didn’t expect that to have this sort of payoff.

I appreciate the series taking the time to do stuff like this, goes with their theme that being a hero is actually really difficult and has serious consequences. You don’t just beat the “bad guy,” collect your accolades, and go back to your harem. You go to the hospital, get stitches, cry about your friends, then you go back to work.

The culture fest is soon, huh? It would be so funny if they decided to be conservative production-wise for Mirio’s big moment, but then busted out the sakuga for ||Jirou’s concert. ||
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide