General Anime Thread

Random-Rambling
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
The parallel minds thing actually confused me before i put it down as multitasking.

It’s like, Kumoko can multitask SO well, it’s like she has multiple separate minds working together.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Random-Rambling

It’s closer to Parallel Minds skill gives her split personalities. She decides to use those to multitask; let one personality handle the driving, one personality parse through all the walls of texts that get dropped on her every level up/skill use, another to handle the magic nonsense, and she hasn’t assigned the fourth yet.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Dustcan  
Hoodie glasses better get some decent roles.

She looks like the “airhead” of the group and I wouldnt be surprised if she’s a hidden genius.

My guess, is that she gets the support skills role like buffs and recovery. Witch Hat already does the offensive stuff.
igotnopicks
Thread Starter - Splatoon thread

Monado User
@Dustcan  
Slime:Let’s just rush our story right away to give ur character the power to be human, who is already OP.

Spider:It’s a slow burn for us. We have a spider and the character is OP by not being OP. And with that Spider doesn’t have a human form… yet.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Hmmmmm….what is it with you guys and liking MC getting close calls and brush with death and needing to feel their OP-ness justified and earned and shiz?
Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@tehwatever  
Well it’s no fun to just see someone trounce every otherwise impressive looking enemy or obstacle without any real action.

We don’t watch a fight just to see the victory.

Ideally, it makes the world outside the protag look good to see everyone else has the potential to be as Op and must be outwitted as well as overpowered.

You hear that, Overlord?!
Natry
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Constant Lurker
@tehwatever  
It’s like RPGs; people are supposed to start at level 1 and progressively grow stronger fighting tough boss battles. What’s the point in playing a game where you’re already max level? It’s just a boring slog where you instant wipe anything with no challenge until maybe the final boss.

On top of that, one of my favorite parts about Isekais is the Isekai’d figuring out how the world and culture works and trying to make a new living inside that. OP protagonists generally skip that immediately with some grand hero position in the kingdom with a government mandated harem.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

We don’t watch a fight just to see the victory.
yeah true, but you could also watch a fight to just see how good the fighter is.

In combat sport, being OP at the highest level is almost miraculous. In lower level where skill disparity is higher, you see more trouncing, as you separate the wheat from the chaff. But when it comes to best two guys, you expect their skill gaps to very small, as they both are at the top. You expect a competitive match.

Hence, seeing either the champ or #1 contender runs thru the other guy is exciting to me, because it breaks expectation.

@Natry  
I’m all for figuring how the world works, but you could still do that by seeing it from the Non-OP chara.
Natry
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Constant Lurker
In combat sport, being OP at the highest level is almost miraculous. In lower level where skill disparity is higher, you see more trouncing, as you separate the wheat from the chaff. But when it comes to best two guys, you expect their skill gaps to very small, as they both are at the top. You expect a competitive match.
Hence, seeing either the champ or #1 contender runs thru the other guy is exciting to me, because it breaks expectation.

I don’t hate unexpected mismatched fights, I hate repetitive victories. With OP protagonists, running through the other guy is the expectation. When the champ beats the 34th contender in a row, no one feels extra excited about it. In fact, people would get far more excited if the champ doesn’t win, i.e. not being OP.  
@Natry
I’m all for figuring how the world works, but you could still do that by seeing it from the Non-OP chara.

But since the OP character is living the good life in the palace, the other perspective would generally need to be someone unrelated to the OP’s party. At that point they might as well drop the OP character entirely and focus on the perspective story that’s more interesting.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I don’t hate unexpected mismatched fights, I hate repetitive victories. With OP protagonists, running through the other guy is the expectation. When the champ beats the 34th contender in a row, no one feels extra excited about it.
For me it depends on the likelihood of repeated victories happening.

In UFC for example, nobody is safe. Even the greatest of the great during their career has, lost rounds, get knocked down, has bled, has had to adapt against a fierce opposition. Here comes Khabib Nurmagomedov, the former Lightweight champ.

Undefeated 29-0 his entire 12 years, never lost rounds, never get dropped, never got cut, complete dominance against everybody. He never had to change strategy. Literally EVERYBODY, even their opponents KNEW and planned for him, but they always came up short.

A guy who does the same thing all the time but stays undefeated unharmed unchallenged for 12 years in the most stacked division in UFC?! A guy who never had to pry victory by the skin of his teeth? The likelihood of that in modern combat sport is ridiculously low. Everybody practically agrees that his 12 years run was borderline miraculous. And pulling off miracles, is why I love underdog heroes.

So for me, OP heroes could work wonderfully, if we see them struggle somewhere else. Struggle against the pressure of a clean record, their meticulous pre-fight planning, them overworking to near death just to gain the advantage needed to pull off absolute dominance during fight day, etc. As a bonus, that way we can also learn about how the sport / the world works.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Scrabbleman  
Well yes but mabye no. Saitama stayed OP after he broke his limiter, without doing much of anything. We rarely see Saitama train after reaching One Punch status, yet his power level doesn’t ever drop. IRL tho, without regular training, he should deteriorate and gets more dull.

What I want is an OP character who is high maintenance. An ideal isekai OP character could be the same way. What if instead of staying at lv 256 with maxed out stats even when all they do is sleep all day, have said character train harder than everyone because the higher their level, the faster the decrease rate.

Turn a boring OP character who we see as flawlessly winning all the time, into an interesting OP character who is also flawlessly winning all the them, but show them walking a tightrope, where his OP-ness comes from a level of discipline, dedication and work ethic far beyond his opponents.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@WyrmSpawN  
Emh. Not really.

You don’t have to go back ten years with a OP champ to see WHY he’s OP. You can just spend the summer in training camp with him before a fight, see his work ethic. Watch his daily life and how he spends his waking hours. Which means, just spend an episode or two on the OP’s character habits and lifestyle, without even touching on origin / backstory.

If somebody ask “why he so OP what the fuck” you can just be like “watch ep 3 and 7. Dude works seriously hard to maintain his OP-ness”

It also means, THIS, and I quote WyrmSpawn: “it makes the world outside the protag look good to see everyone else has the potential to be as Op and must be outwitted as well as overpowered.

The OP protag, from training smart and working consistently, from spending his days studying, trying to get an edge over the competition more than anyone, is the reason why he’s OP. If he slack off, if he lazy, if he take a day off, then someone out there hungrier than him, more motivated and work harder than he does, WILL beat him.

The world doesn’t wait for the protag to be OP. His OP-ness rely on him actively trying to stay ahead of the pack.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
From what little we’ve seen of her, gaining an extra 6 legs and being on death’s door constantly sure has done wonders for Wakaba’s outgoingness as Kumoko.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Dustcan  
I’m chalking it up to her slowly declining sanity. Better be an outgoing “Genki Girl” than be in despair over her abject dice-rolls in her new life. I love kumoko because she’s a proper millennial heroine: chock full of irony, peppered in tragedy.

Also this friday we might get the proper debut of…HOODIE GLASSES! YAAAY!
DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
Actually I think don’t like other spoilers about Kumoko than her becoming more human  
That she is not human reincarnation
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
How in the world is the saddest anime so far this year a show about horse girls? Season 1 was so upbeat and cute. Meanwhile, season 2 of Uma Musume is heartbreaking and tragic.

The fact barely anybody is talking about it is a huge shame. I’ve nearly cried three times in season 2, and it’s a show about fucking horse girls!
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
@WyrmSpawN  
Injuries, the talks of having to retire and struggling to come to grips with it, losing a race and it sending you into a deep depression, winning races and the crowd proceeding to turn on you because they didn’t want you to win, it’s surprisingly quite the departure of the upbeat nature of season 1.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide