General Anime Thread

tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Cyborg_pony  
Man, Idgaf if th3y’d call me a nibba-hating rassist if I didnt like the anime. Imma enjoy it for what it is. A samurai anime with a black man protagonist not unlike Afro Samurai. If it bad, it bad. If it good, it good.

But I understand if you wanna steer clear of it due to how politicized it could become. I respect your survival instincts. Unpopular opinion / opinions that may be construed as being non PC could get you into internet fights and imo internet fights aint never worth the time.

Better steer clear of Black Panther, too. I heard it’s like, a really black movie, that could turn anybody black and speak with african accents and do the tongue click thing.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@tehwatever  
It’s weird how there’s so much discourse on Twitter about a real-life African samurai. Like, this is an important piece of Feudal Japanese history and one side is complaining about “I don’t want no n*gga in my anime” while the other side is about “6 episodes only??? Too short >:(”

Like, come on. Animated history! How could anyone hate that?!
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@tehwatever  
I saw some who said it was a gift from the gods (Not bad, just nothing that stood out) get lambasted as a “secret WWII German soldier” and again, that kind of over-reaction is why. I could mention other parts in the movie that make it kinda funny, but not the thread of this.

@Scrabbleman  
Eh. Tosen was cooler.
QuasarNova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Equestria Girls RPG
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

It finally happened… It was just a clip and now I’m in this fucking multi armed shark tale of a hole with death itself knocking on my door on top of a stupid roasted chicken and a gremlin threating to pound my progenitors
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Cyborg_pony  
Tosen as in, Bleach? Man, that’s different! Tosen wasn’t black. He black but he wasn’t black.

Tosen is right there with Yoruichi (who is ambigiously dark skinned so she can be anything). Their blackness is an aesthetic choice and perhaps a nod to the black-american fashion and music, which japanese authors openly love. One can’t deny black AMERICAN music, fashion and cultural icons are influential in shaping the pop-culture and entertainment scene, including anime.

With creating a character design one asks the question: Do I make a character who appropriates the appearance of another culture or do I make a character of said culture. Tousen is the more of the former, like he a black actor playing a decidedly race-neutral character.

Onyankopon meanwhile, is more black than Tousen. His name is black, and ppl acknowledge he be black, even if they immediately make it irrelevant like you would when you meet a foreigner with different skin color. No judgement no racism, but at least they notice he black.

full

That’s the difference. A black character vs a character with black attributes and aesthetics.
Random-Rambling
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
It finally happened… It was just a clip and now I’m in this fucking multi armed shark tale of a hole with death itself knocking on my door on top of a stupid roasted chicken and a gremlin threating to pound my progenitors

While you’re here, be sure to check out the Indonesian members. They speak English, like, 80% of the time anyway, so you don’t really need to speak Indonesian to catch their streams live.
Cyborg_pony

@tehwatever  
Then you can say the same thing about Yasuke - and it feels a bit diminishing his to say a character isn’t this or that base primarily on how they act making them lesser than another.

Let’s not go BBC executive on Idris Elba now shale we?

@Penguin Dragneel  
@Cyborg_pony
Do you like Cannon Busters?

No, not really. It looks like they made the character look too much like Spike Spiegel.  
full  
full

His manga style looked a lot cooler, with a bit more of a wild nature about him.

full
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

it feels a bit diminishing
but that’s the point. when you design or write a character you want to amplify one thing and sometimes diminish another thing. That doesn’t make a character lesser. I wasn’t implying Tosen to have been less. I be implying he different from Onyankopon or Yasuke’s case.

Here’s my argument: If Tosen was fair-skinned, it wouldn’t change anything. If brother Onyankopon was white like the rest of the cast or if Yasuke was japanese it would change the character, even if slightly.
Cyborg_pony

@tehwatever  
But, wouldn’t that make him a better character since they could have made him look like others, but instead made him black? Plus he was raised in Japan, it wouldn’t make any sense for Toesn or any black character to “Act” black as it seems you put it.

I brought up Idris Elba, because he took the role in Luther specifically because it wasn’t stereotyped as “the black one” and the BBC Diversity exec of all people say He wasn’t black enough for not eating black food and doing black things.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Cyborg_pony  
You’re talking aesthetic choices and that’s imo just up to aesthetic taste and little else. Tosen is more fleshed out, so he is better in that way, but Tosen’s blackness doesnt play any part to his character. It doesnt make Tosen better, or worse, nor should Tosen be criticized for it.

One dont need to “act black” as you think I was implying. Brother Onyankopon doesn’t act black. He dresses in Marleyan clothes, speaks Marleyan, served in Marleyan Army (Marley is the equivalent to Europe in ShingekiVerse) and he was, in everything but skin color, a Marleyan.

BUT, the reason why Onyankopon is imo more black than Tosen, is because ppl around him, and Onyankopon hisself, do acknowledge his blackness, even it it’s never mentioned again. He had to one time explain WHY he black (Sasha asked him straight up why he black)

Das all it takes, really. If the society in which our black character find themself in is essentially “color-blind” then being black dont matter. It’s like choosing gender in a game that never checks your gender for anything.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

At the end of the day, it’s all up to the audience. What is black for the audience anyway? Is Bee from Naruto black because he does that rap thingy? For me personally I’d argue that Bee and Tosen are similar. They blackness are for aesthetic.

Onyankopon meanwhile doesn’t at all act black, but he and everybody else is aware that he looks different: he black, after all.

So no, I wasn’t even close to arguing that a black character should act more black to be black. You just assumed I was.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide