General Anime Thread

igotnopicks
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Splatoon thread

Monado User
@tehwatever  
“She already has ridiculesly OP skills.”  
“Nah we saw what the Demon Queen did to her let’s give her more skills so she can litterally break the game”  
“GENIUS”
Random-Rambling
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
I like how in the latest episode of Zombieland Saga, they actually say that the people of Saga are aware of the fact that the girls look like the celebrities they were before they passed away. They even mention how most people were poking fun of the fact they look so similar. Obviously they still don’t know the celebrities they look like are actually them but as zombies, but I’m glad that the main plot hole from season 1 got addressed with a reasonable explanation.
I’m also glad the reporter guy from season 1 returned. Season 1 ended on this cliffhanger of sorts, and for a while I thought they just dropped the reporter storyline. I’m glad to see it’s still a thing.

On the subject of recognition, we got a very touching bit about Lily coming to terms with her (still-living) father, so now I’m wondering if Sakura’s parents are still alive. Heck, Saki’s and Ai’s parents could also be still alive.
ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
hAhA iS gUd CuZ pOwER eArNeD

Never cared about OP-ness because cultivation and development of power isn’t a necessity of…literally any sort, whatsoever. Pretty sure the idea just spread in the anime fandom because it’s the typical battle shounen development arc for protagonists from that genre - gradually becoming stronger for each obstacle they have to face - and people never stopped sucking at that nipple, so to speak, since that’s where people will typically start off as and what sets their expectations going forward. It grows so common as an expectation due to that large contingent of people who start in that area that it bleeds outside of that and is suddenly the norm - even for people who don’t start off with battle shounen, just because of how ubiquitous it is as a criticism. It’s bad to not have power cultivation be a focus in a series because it has to be. Full stop, that black and white, fuck the bigger picture. Might have some mix/crossover with the idea that series that use powerful characters with minimal focus on cultivation are power fantasies with weebs that have no lives haha im cool and normal please dont make fun of my anime pfp in YT comment sections, but really, who gives a shit about the origin of this idea that cultivation of power = inherent good and OP = inherent bad? It’s almost like this entire part of the post is stupid filler that gets in the way of the actual point. Cough. Foreshadowing.

Skimming over how a character becomes powerful or cutting out any sort of development of power whatsoever doesn’t harm jack shit if the series isn’t a fucking cultivation bit and has its eyes turned elsewhere and wants to do other shit. The criticisms regarding characters not “earning” their power would, in application, just pigeonhole the given series into wasting its time on something that won’t actually help distinguish or shape its identity at all - it’d be forcing it to go through arbitrarily-decided motions just to get to the fucking point. Stop waxing poetic like you know anything about literary critique by blindly applying specific character developments and narrative types as universal necessities. You’re crying in the rain.

Even MAL forums are beyond this point for the most part, and those guys are idiots. Yet here it’s been a persistent idea for longer than 6 years. Speaking of being ass-backwards, do you guys have any cave paintings you can show me? Or shit, breaking news, Caesar just crossed the Rubicon. What does this mean for Rome?

Broaden your fucking horizons. Christ. The overwhelming majority of the time it’s not even lazy writing. Cultivation just isn’t the point. I don’t give a shit about your personal preferences in terms of development and structure, but there’s a bigger picture of what a series can do and aim to achieve, y’know? Not everything wants to communicate to or appeal to the same thing. You don’t use the same tools for every situation, be it in construction, writing, whatever. Being dismissive of everything that falls outside of your narrow scopes is why this thread has always been a circlejerk. So it is now, so it was in 2014 and 2015.

inb4 either trying to pretend this post doesn’t exist en masse or “ree sub elitist guy angry how dare he question the stupid shit we’ve always said >:c”

Eppur si muove.
Random-Rambling
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
@ghostfacekiller39

What I got from that wall of text is “stop calling an anime ‘bad’ because you don’t think the writing has done enough to ‘justify’ itself, ESPECIALLY if you’ve only seen one or two anime genres and their accompanying tropes and think all anime should follow their example” which I completely agree with.

Tropes are not bad. Tropes are not good. Tropes are simply the tools we use to tell stories. (Every writer, hell, every viewer, should read this)
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Random-Rambling  
We know that, bruv.

Is that I, as an unsophisticated caveman, dont have enough brain power to articulate what I mean when I say “I prefer” or “Is bad” or “is good” or when I is make joke.

When I the caveman make a value judgement, what I mean is that: drawing from my personal experience and personal library of references of what I have previously enjoyed or disliked, I, find said tropes or collection of tropes or implementation of tropes to be enjoyable, not enjoyable, or anywhere in between.

NOBODY is insane enough to actually mean a trope to be universally, factually, scientifically proven to be bad.

Btw my caveman drawing.  
full
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

So I guess Kumoko doesn’t need that arachne body to hang out in human towns now.
Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-girl!

I want Kumoko stealing pizza just so one guy could yell “woah! it stole that guy’s pizza!”
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
So I learn that Kumoko has a small time gap, so which parts of episodes can I watch that focuses on the future gap and not the past?
ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
When I the caveman make a value judgement, what I mean is that: drawing from my personal experience and personal library of references of what I have previously enjoyed or disliked, I, find said tropes or collection of tropes or implementation of tropes to be enjoyable, not enjoyable, or anywhere in between.

Subjectivity isn’t a get out of jail free card. Just because it’s pretty much the universal standard doesn’t mean that you can throw it out there and immediately defuse any criticisms people have of your opinions. Functioning discourse doesn’t work that way, and for good reason - it’s anti-intellectual and pretty much always a cheap rhetoric tactic to try to stifle what the other side is saying without actually challenging it in any way.

That aside, though - I explicitly acknowledged in the first post that there’s preference and value judgements at play and I said I don’t give a shit about it, because what I was attacking had nothing to do with your personal preferences in the sense of what you can and can’t like/dislike. That’s irrelevant, and you’d know as much if you actually read what you were responding to instead of making a knee-jerk reaction. I’m not a strawman for you to misrepresent in an attempt to make excuses for your stupidity.

I was being critical of how utterly and insanely short-sighted these criticisms are, and how damaging it would be if most series they’re typically leveraged at began doing things the way that’s being called for. And, worse yet, all of these issues stem from it because the idea itself is fundamentally myopic. Nothing more, nothing less, and trying to play the relativism card won’t sidestep that. Of course I don’t like or think much of what they’re meant to represent whenever that’s the case. I’m not gonna fuckin’ like an opinion that’s the equivalent of taking a functioning building, burning it down, defecating on the ashes, and then acts like the building is better off this way. The criticism itself is so short-sighted about what it’d mean in application that it can’t see how burning the building down is destroying it. It’s asinine. There’s a reason it fell out of favor years ago, only being kept alive inside little, isolated bubbles like this one - it’s a criticism that is an absolute black hole of nuance. You sound dumb by making a point out of it, and the only way it can be kept alive is in a vacuum where everyone else is dumb enough to help perpetuate the idea itself.

Hence, broaden your fucking horizons. The entire theme and point of that post. Just fucking think a bit instead of trying to database everything as good or bad in ridiculously black and white ways, and then trying to use subjectivity to excuse that absolutely ass-backwards way of criticizing things. You can either get mad and desperately cling on to subjectivity as an excuse to make shitty, thoughtless, short-sighted criticisms, or you can learn to look at things from a variety of different perspectives to come to a more nuanced conclusion on the topic. You can either think “what is in the series?” or you can think “how/why is it like this?” when trying to look at what writing tools any given series is using. You’ve chosen the former, and you get mad about being challenged on sticking with the former. Do I think this is stupid? Yes. Hence, Caveman. That seems to have bothered you, but you sure as fuck have earned the title, acting like so.

Keep clinging to your position and never get blown off of it. Your opinions are sacrosanct because of subjectivity, and all discussion ends there.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Scrabbleman

Most episodes has the past/future segments.

But basically, any parts containing Kumoko is set in the past/present, and any parts containing Shun is set in the future.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Scrabbleman  
Future gap? As in…what happens between the two timelines? NONE so far, because the story takes place in almost explicitly two viewpoints: Kumoko’s and Shun’s.  
Shun’s part is the event taking place more or less 15 years post-reincarnation. Kumoko’s started right at t=0. The show makes it so that you’re piecing together what is happening in between the two timelines in mostly Kumoko’s perspective.

I.e, What happens in the gap? you know almost exactly as much as Kumoko does, considering you’re seeing it unfold along with her, and also probably because she’s the cause of them.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@ghostfacekiller39  
Note that I wasn’t replying to you. with that post.

I told you your inb4 was right on both counts: I pretended your post dint exist (even if I’ve read it) and I think you’re elitist with the way you talk down to guys in here. I.e I’m not wiling to even try to respond. I’m a caveman, damnit. I can’t even produce a coherent sentence, much less engage in a fruitful discussion with an academic of your caliber.

Just letting you know, I read your posts, at least. They’re insightful.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide