General Anime Thread

HeadlessHorselessHorseman

As someone who’s very ignorant of the medium, is limited animation pretty ubiquitous in anime? Are there any exceptions?

I ask because I think fighting anime can suffer from trying to translate fluid movements to the screen. Personally, I thought the cutscenes in video games like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai captured the feel of the manga’s action in a way the DBZ anime, for all its strengths, never could.
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@HeadlessHorselessHorseman  
It usually depends on the anime, what it’s genre is, how long it runs for, and what studio does it.

DBZ, for example, was a series that ran for 291 episodes, broadcast weekly for almost 7 years, meaning that the animation was bound to be lacking in certain places (on top of the abysmal pacing)

Meanwhile, One Punch Man’s first season only had 12 episodes, with the studio not having to worry about making sure it was on air for more than 3 months. TL;DR it allowed for the animation to truly shine (although it also helped to have a bunch of industry veterans contribute as freelancers).
pixel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@HeadlessHorselessHorseman  
I think, in general, more action-oriented anime has gotten more fluid animation in recent years. Of course, the main ones I’ve watched have been AoT and MHA (which I’ve still only seen the first season of and desperately need to catch up on).
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Penguin Dragneel

I think that’s less them stepping up their game and more standards have increased across the board/newer technology and animation techniques has made it easier for things to at least look visually appealing.
Penguin Dragneel
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Artist -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Dustcan  
No, I’m serious when it comes to One Piece. You compare the Whole Cake and Wano arcs, which were one after another, and the difference is almost night and day.
Dustcan
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
And RE Infinite Darkness done.

Well it started fine but ended lame. The plot held up but the motivations became nonsense by the end. Claire was barely involved, a shame since this is only like the 3rd and final time she’s interacted with Leon. And she’s not likely to do it anytime soon when they ended on such bad terms (for stupid reasons no less, Leon basically contradicted himself at the end there). And the episodic format didn’t even feel right as it felt less like 4 episodes and more like 1 whole movie chopped up.

The best part was definitely the visuals. This thing is gorgeous and animated wonderfully. I’d dare say whenever someone pulls the “CGI doesn’t look good” cliche you should direct them to scenes from this show. That and the continuity was great, setting up plot points for both RE 5 and VIIIage’s sequel hook. That’s nice.

All in all, there were 2 RE Netflix series announced. This one was the one that looked good, and I ended up disappointed. If you’re an RE fan then there’s enough to hold you in, but if you aren’t then there’s really nothing here for you.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Dustcan  
It do feel like one movie split into four. I wonder if that’s a deliberate choice to force the audience to take a break, because it’s not confident enough in itself, to hold the audience’s attention for the entire duration of the series.

Besides the shiny visual, I have nothing really positive to say about it. The new characters had potential, but they ended up bland.

Patrick literally doesn’t do shit. Shen May was a budget Ada with none of her appeal, whose sacrifices (and her families’ sacrifices) end up down the drain (gee thx, Leon).

Jason could have been the sympathetic villain, but he went cartoon evil villain halfway thru the show.

The twist villain was also blatantly villanous. Is nobody in this movie even try to be subtle or multidimensional about anything?

It also doesnt give me what I expect from the RE CG Anime series, namely dumbshit MMA and stupid Gun-Fu. It’s trying to walk the line between REMakes’ more grounded style and the mainline’s The Matrix John Wick style and I think it made itself confused.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@tehwatever

I did dig Jason’s plight. The whole government wasn’t in on the conspiracy, but enough of them in enough power to screw him and his squad. And his plan was as clever as it was simple; just leak the data on top of exposing his mutated form to the public. Not planning to kill anyone or rampage, just showing people what happened to the “Hero of Panamstan” and letting the outcry run its course.

But they didn’t lean into that. As soon as he explained it he was then all “Terror” this and “They’ll know terror” that. Which is itself decent commentary on the US’s obsession with stopping “terrorism”, but again they missed the ball.

I did like many of the character moments. Like Leon looking back at the corpses as he walked past them, showing that for all his stoicism he’s still empathetic. Or how the President believed believed his own cabinet member was instigating a war all because he heard Leon say it second hand. Leon and Graham are supposed to be friends, but it never came up in the games (what with the President being a zombie in his only actual appearance there), so it’s was cool to see that amount to something.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Dustcan  
Ikr? I was actually thinking that gunfight in the room was absolutely unnecessary if both parties would just let go if their ego.

Jason coulda just said “fine take me to court but you should know about this conspiracy. You a racoon city survivor, and what im bout to show you could potentially make sumn way worse than racoon city”

And Leon could be like “if you want my help then we do things my way, and be very transparent with me.”

Also IMO Potus Graham was already sus about the whole fake china aggression thing, so I’m pretty sure he would have cancelled or delayed the talk from the slightest changes to the schedule. Having heard confirmation of it from Leon, though indirectly, is way more than enough to pull the plug on the offensive.
ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
As someone who’s very ignorant of the medium, is limited animation pretty ubiquitous in anime? Are there any exceptions?
I ask because I think fighting anime can suffer from trying to translate fluid movements to the screen. Personally, I thought the cutscenes in video games like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai captured the feel of the manga’s action in a way the DBZ anime, for all its strengths, never could.

Short answer: Yes. It doesn’t depend. It really is a ubiquitous thing.

Long answer: Movies can and will often be an exception. The general rule of thumb is that if it’s a tv anime or OVA/ONA, yes. That entire side of the medium is built around budget-cutting techniques and trying to get into it for animation and movement is probably the worst way to look at it, since it was never meant to be a strength. Even shows people point to as examples of very well animated TV anime - like One Punch Man - have hordes of moments entirely done with limited animation, with the really high effort moments sparsed throughout. People tend to remember the much more impactful really well-done moments and forget the more stiff ones.

Anime is expensive to make and doesn’t tend to turn a fast profit, man. Especially when you consider everything runs under a production committee model these days, budget-cutting techniques are a necessity for it to continue to survive and prosper. The response has been a de-emphasis on animation and a greater focus on narrative concepts and character appeal.

Personally, I don’t mind this model. It means more stuff for everyone and most people who get into TV anime start to tolerate the limited animation really quickly. It’s not the appeal. If you want anime with more fluid animation, anime movies got ya covered anyway. Not just Ghibli, either, but the whole playing field.

Also, don’t confuse filters with animated movement. People tend to conflate that with TV anime for some reason, and that’s the calling card of studios like Ufotable (Demon Slayer, Fate/Zero, etc.)

Ufotable has never had exceptional animation, especially not consistently. They have consistently drenched their series in aesthetic accessories to make it appear more distinct and stylish. That’s a fair and fine approach, mind you, and Ufo does that in a way that’s genuinely well put together - but it’s just not really animation in the sense of limited versus fluid.

@ghostfacekiller39  
I get what you mean. I honestly think that’s part of why dub/sub debates used to be contentious; when animation is limited, you rely on voice acting to carry a lot of the pathos.

I’ve noticed something similar with certain video games, especially the first season of Life is Strange.
ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
@ghostfacekiller39
I get what you mean. I honestly think that’s part of why dub/sub debates used to be contentious; when animation is limited, you rely on voice acting to carry a lot of the pathos.
I’ve noticed something similar with certain video games, especially the first season of Life is Strange.

It’s because of Tezuka. The Astro Boy guy. He designed a lot of the budget cutting techniques that people associate with anime’s aesthetic as a way to, well, cut the budget in Astro Boy. That was the only reason his anime was sustainable. Prior to that, anime like that wasn’t really seen as such, and kind of still isn’t.

In a modern sense, it’d probably result in production committees having to sink more money into fewer projects to get more fluid animation, but without the extensive budget-cutting methods anime wouldn’t be in a position where that could be a viable option to begin with. Plus, it’s just a bad marketing strategy. The point of most anime, like it or not, is to promote the source they’re adapting from. It’s why incomplete adaptations are so common. Building wide instead of tall fits that role.

Either way, Tezuka, man. His fingerprints are all over anime, in any decade from the ‘60s onwards. The amount of impact he had doesn’t get proper recognition considering how insanely fucking extensive it is - so much so that people draw from shit he came up with without knowing he did that because it’s just industry standard now.

Also the reason dub/sub gets so heated is because dubs are garbage :)

@ghostfacekiller39
Also the reason dub/sub gets so heated is because dubs are garbage :)

I tend to agree overall (I’ll still fight for a select few dub actors), but even Cowboy Bebop?
Don't
Thread Starter - One Piece Thread

Get up and Jump
This shouldn’t even be said  
But tanned Japanese people exist  
They make up half of Japan even  
Twitter should stop claiming that Dark Skinned Japanese characters are black
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide