General Anime Thread

Silent_Witness
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Chippin’ In
@Holofan4life
I have to disagree. I can accept people dissing something someone else likes, so long as they can back it up with a reason. But just pointing at it and acting as if its flaws are self-evident isn’t sufficient.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
Finished watching Duel: Parallel Trouble for the first time. Really enjoyed it.
I want to preface what I’m about to say by saying I don’t think all mech shows need to be thought-provoking. As such, this isn’t meant to be an attack on this show.
I can see why this series isn’t talked about in the same vein as Eva. Even though this may arguably be better, Eva poses more philosophical discussion points. Even Eureka Seven is more memorable than this, and I think it’s because it poses similar talking points.
I don’t think this series is generic, because the alternate world stuff is very unique, but at the same time I don’t feel like they use the concept to its fullest potential. But again, it’s not because of the quality of the show. You can only do so much with 13 episodes.
If this show was like 22 or 23 episodes, I think it would be even better.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
As I’m writing this, I have some time to kill before I head to work. As such, and given I finally finished Steins;Gate 0 on Tuesday, I thought I should give my thoughts on Steins;Gate as well as Steins;Gate 0.
Also, I haven’t watched the movie yet. I plan on doing that on Monday.
Speaking first of the original series, I really enjoyed it. The first half is more slice of life than I was expecting, but that’s not a bad thing. In fact, I like it because it gave us a chance to establish the characters more. However, the second half is really when the series goes from good to phenomenal. The last 12 episodes or so of the series are some of the strongest stuff in anime I’ve ever seen. It is so well-written and brilliant. That’s probably why I don’t mind the first half being what it is. The second half is so strong and depressing that you need the first half to balance it out. If the first half was as sad as the second half, then it honestly might work against it, because then you may have lost the character introductions.
As for where it ranks on my favorite shows of all time, hard to say. I don’t know if I would put it in my top ten because the first half, while good, is kind of floating aimlessly. I think it definitely make my top 25, though. And I would make the excuse that I have a tsundere bias, which is why I think shows like Toradora and Kaguya-sama are better, but that doesn’t work because Kurisu is maybe a top 3 tsundere. I think in the end, it just comes done to the fact that there’s such a lose thread tying the first half together that I feel doesn’t make it as strong as other shows. And while I don’t need an ongoing plot episode per episode, as shows like Nichijou are among my favorites of all time, I thought it honestly worked against Steins;Gate.
Okabe is probably the best written main character I’ve seen in an anime. He is so interesting and engaging. The only main characters I think comes close to Okabe is probably Ryuuji from Toradora or Lawrence from Spice and Wolf, but even then they have their less interesting qualities. Okabe keeps you guessing as to what he’s going to do next.
Speaking of Okabe, I love the relationship between Okabe and Mayushii. I think besides Okabe and Kurisu’s relationship, that is really the backbone of the show. It feels so rare to see a platonic friendship between a male and a female in anime. And to top it off, it’s done so believable. I love that Okabe’s chuuni behavior is to cheer Mayushii up. God, that is just so heartwarming.
Next, I want to talk about Kurisu. Not to be cliche when I’m saying this, but Kurisu is the best part of this show. She is the reason why I watched this show, and she lived up to the hype. I love everything about her. I love how much of a tsundere she is, I love how sarcastic she can get, I love how much of a dork she actually is, and I absolutely adore the back and forth between Okabe and Kurisu. That to me was a major highlight. Honestly, I wish we saw even more of the back and forth between Kurisu and Okabe. We got like 30 minutes worth in the original series of them bickering, but I want a whole series of nothing but those two sniping at each other. Every time it happens, it puts a big, fat smile on my face.
Overall, really enjoyed the original series. I would probably give it an 8.5 out of 10. 9.5 in the Beta Attractor Field.
Now onto Steins Gate 0, which I have more of a mixed opinion on.
Right off the bat, I want to list the positives I feel about the series.
I really like Maho as a character. To me, she was the strongest thing about 0. I like how she’s Kurisu’s equal who happens to live in the spotlight of her and never got the same fame and glory. She isn’t a direct copy of Kurisu, and she brings her own interesting characteristics.
I think 0 did a good job of making Daru more likable. Of all the recurring characters from the original series, he’s the one who I felt benefitted the most from the new series. Seeing him punch Okabe was shocking, but also gratifying from a character standpoint. It showcased he wasn’t some kind of pushover.
Again, hate to be cliche, but episode 8 was the best part of 0. Seeing Kurisu come back and seeing her and Okabe have one last farewell was so bittersweet and touching. It’s kinda amazing because this episode in my opinion blows the rest of the series out of the water. If the rest of the episodes were as strong as this one, then maybe it would rival or even surpass the original series.
And now, onto some of the problems I had.
I think the biggest issue I had with Steins Gate 0 is that tonally, it’s all over the place. Until like the final 6 episodes, the show doesn’t know what it wants to do. At first, you think the series is going to be about Kurisu being turned into AI as Okabe struggles trying to get over her not being around. But then that plot kind of fades away. Then, you think it’s gonna be about Kagari and Mayushii. But that only lasts a couple episodes. They even tease something involving Kagari and Okabe as children, but sorry. Won’t be mentioning that again. Then finally, we get what the actual series was building up to this entire time. Which, luckily, happens to involve the other two major plots. I don’t mind arcs, and I like that everything eventually tied together, but I don’t get the sense that the show knew what the end goal was. I think they just lucked into it.
Perfect example of the tonal shift, in one episode, we get a big reveal involving Kagari that’s supposed to be this big shocking moment. And how does the next episode follow up on it? By having Daru go on a date. You have this big, dramatic moment at the end of one of the episodes, and you follow it up but having a light-hearted episode? Tonally, that’s just all over the place.
Speaking of Kagari, I really wanted to like her more than I did. But in the end, she just kinda falls flat to me. The idea of someone having amnesia and Mayushii being a possible mother figure was and is an interesting concept. But I don’t think they did enough to make Kagari an interesting character besides that. Of everything going on in Steins Gate 0, Kagari is the one thing that really felt underdeveloped and half-baked that I really wish wasn’t.
I think it was a mistake having Maho go away for a couple episodes. The whole time, it just made me wonder “Why is she leaving? Is it building to something?” And the answer is, no. She just left and came back. I wonder if the show was trying to write her off permanently and she was originally not supposed to show back up but they decided to bring her back because she was just too interesting of a character.
The villain reveal at the end was extremely obvious. And at the same time, extremely half-baked. I wish they did more with the revelation and the character as a whole, because outside of his broken English, there was nothing interesting about him.
Lastly, I do like that both Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 had happy endings. It was nice that neither ending was depressing or ended on a sad note. I also like how the ending of Steins Gate 0 ties directly into the ending of the original series.
Overall, I’d give Steins;Gate 0 a 7 out of 10. There were some strong episodes, like episode 8 (I’m personally also a huge fan of the episode where Daru goes on a date, as despite being out of place it did a lot for his character), and the last 6 or so episodes it felt like the show finally clicked things together, but so much of the show was so all over the place. It had the pieces to be something really special, but it didn’t fully piece them together.
That being said, I’m glad I got to watch it and I’m glad I got to finally watch Steins;Gate. It will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Okabe X Kurisu forever
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I II II L
GIGGUK made a good point when he said there’s a lot of new animes coming out where the purpose is to showcase a best girl. That’s why for my next light novel, I want to do somewhat of a parody like that.
Like maybe the main character is obsessed with some hobby and we see this girl who looks sweet and innocent and then she mercilessly mocks his hobby. Maybe even breaking one of his prized possessions. But then as she sees the main character have a mental breakdown, she starts to regret her behavior and does whatever she can to make up for it.
Then maybe you can do something where the girl is a weeb and she looks up to characters like Marin from My Dress-up Darling and she spends the entirety of the series living up to her expectations. To be a best girl, as she fights her impulsive, violent behavior.
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I II II L
I decided to create a Toradora and My Dress-up Darling fanfic. It’s called My Dress-up Tiger. I decided to post it here because I want to know what you guys think.
It was the day of Ryuuji’s birthday, and boy did he wish it started off far less hostile.
The day before, the teenager with scary eyes and a passion for cleaning was watching TV, minding his own business. He had recently got into watching anime, and one of his favorites at the moment was My Dress-up Darling. Though it admittedly was a little lewd for his taste, he loved the character dynamics and related to the main character, who had a hobby that would best be described as non-traditional. More specifically, his favorite character on the show was Marin, a beautiful, tall, buxom woman who most likely will end up with the main character.
As Ryuuji was watching the next to last episode, which happened to be one of the lewdest in the entire series, in walked Taiga, right on cue of the scene where Marin is on top of the main character. The bag of groceries Taiga had in her tiny, fragile hands were immediately dropped as she stared horrified at her boyfriend. She couldn’t believe he was watching such smut. Then, her shock quickly turned to anger as she began yelling at him, with Ryuuji not knowing exactly what she was going on about.
“Go on! Leave! Walk out on me like everyone else did! My parents don’t love me, and now I can see you don’t love me as well!”
And now here we are, the perpetual mongrel fittingly in the doghouse after his girlfriend angrily stormed off the night before. Ryuuji hoped that given it was his birthday today, things might be slightly different. But just like most things with his girlfriend, he knew things could never be predictable.
As Ryuuji slowly turned the key to his house, he gently opened the door, hoping not to cause much of a disturbance in case the violent half-pint was there. Unfortunately, what he stumbled upon was somehow much stranger.
“Taiga? What are you–”
“You like? I stayed up all night working on it just for you. I figured you would like it given it was your type.”
Taiga was sitting in the corner of the house dressed as Marin.
Taiga was wearing a long blonde wig, a white shirt that looked a bit crumpled up, like she didn’t take the time to dry it out properly, a green tie that looked like it belonged to one of her parents, a choker, and pink contacts to change the color of her eyes. All and all, a pretty accurate attempt give less than 24 hours. Well, except the boobs, but you can’t improve upon perfection.
“Ryuuji, you and I both know that this is what you truly desire. This is what you want to spend the rest of your life worshipping and idolizing. Why spend your life with some worthless, insecure mess who never deserved to be loved in the first place? Feed into your lust and desires, you smutty mutt. This is what you want all along.
At first, Ryuuji stood there confused, wondering what this was all about. But then, it finally dawned on him what exactly his girlfriend was saying. As she stood across the room, with her boyfriend infatuated by the tall, gorgeous woman on the screen, Taiga felt she was everything she was not– voluptuous, lengthy, big chested, a winning personality, someone you can get along with. In essence, Taiga felt like her territory was being marched upon by someone who didn’t exist.
Next thing Ryuuji knew, he started laughing, tears almost coming out of his eyes over the absurdity of the situation. Taiga, meanwhile, sat annoyed, frustrated that her boyfriend wasn’t taking this seriously. Though they had been dating for a few months now, Taiga really hadn’t changed a bit. She was still the same impulsive, insecure hothead Ryuuji fell in love with.
“You– you really think I was gonna leave you for a fictional character,” said Ryuuji, trying to contain his laughter.
“Well, what was I supposed to think?!? I saw the way you were looking at her, with your perverted, horndog eyes. I wouldn’t put it past you to want someone like her. Besides, we all know that I’m not the prettiest girl in the world. After all, anybody who’s parents give up on them must be pretty undesirable.”
Ryuuji stopped with the laughing and walked over to where his girlfriend was sitting, who looked a bit startled as he got closer and closer. Then, Ryuuji sat down and wrapped his arms around the palmtop tiger, burying his head deep in her shoulder.
“You’re silly, you know that, Taiga? How could anyone consider you undesirable? You’re amazing just the way you are.”
“Well, I guess I have to be pretty amazing. After all, I did end up with you. By the way, sorry about the lack of a present for your birthday this year. I was gonna buy you something, but my impulsiveness got the better of me.”
“As far as I’m concerned, as long as I’m with you, you’re the perfect present.”
Ryuuji continued to hold his girlfriend, hugging her for what felt like hours. The both of them melting into each other’s arms with neither one of them wanting to get up. Why would Ryuuji want to end up with anyone other than Taiga, he thought. Especially when she’s better than perfection.
“Hey, Taiga? I do have one small request. The next time you dress up as an anime character, can you dress up as Juju for me? I think that would be the perfect fit.”
“J-just shut up, and continue hugging me,” said a flustered Taiga, a slight blush coming across her face.
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I II II L
I got five animes I plan on watching for Spring 2022. Demon Girl Next Door season 2, Aharen-san wa Hakarenai, Komi-san season 2, Kaguya-sama season 3, and Spy X Family.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
The most successful tank destroyer in history - The Sturmgeschütz StuG III. But what makes me grin the most about Girls und Panzer in this regard is the Sanada banner. ;-D
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to understand the other three banners until today. Never really tried, to be honest. Otherwise, I’ll ask someone if I ever make it to Japan. Maybe someone here can enlighten me. But even if not, the Sanada banner on a StuG III alone has put this anime in my personal top 10 forever. ;-)
Veni, vidi, vici & Waste sweat, not blood - Glory to the Hippo Team! (grin)
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I II II L
Kaguya-sama is so good. Also, I’m really enjoying Aharen-san wa Hakarenai so far. It’s like Komi-san if the recurring characters weren’t batshit insane.
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
Seems like Sony/Crunchyroll/Funimation is trying to get rid of remote recording for their dubs and move everything back to being done in-studio.
This will definitely NOT end well.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide