General Anime Thread

Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@tehwatever
Rule #1 if you’re a non-Gundam pilot in a Gundam show.
NEVER, challenge a Gundam to a 1v1 in the first episode. You will find yourself dead, humiliated or at best your mech got busted.

Posted Report
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Cyborg_pony
I watched the show. I also watched practically most gundam series, even the gunpla battle ones, except some of SEEDs spinoffs and the second season of Iron Blooded Orphan.
I checked again, Char did NOT fight Amuro in the first episode of the series Look for yourself. I’m talking specifically only in the FIRST EPISODE, or at least the Lead Mech’s first official appearance.
Did anybody beat the following units in the first episode / official appearance?
Aerial, Barbatos, G-self, AGE-1, Exia, Strike, Turn A, X, Wing, Shining, V?
No. Lead Gundam have first ep. privilieges and immunity. Rival Ace pilots usually show up later. It’s just the rule of power scaling.
Posted Report
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Wufei from Gundam Wing:
“You listening, woman?! HUH! You saw I was a kid and went easy on me. You’re a weak soldier. I don’t kill bleeding hearts or women.
Wufei chugging copious amount of chadpill juice since the 90s
Posted Report
Cyborg_pony

@tehwatever
Char still doesn’t get beat by Amero very much if at all. Doesn’t matter if he fights him in the first episode or not. It’s why it was good, since he was a legit threat - and the reasons why he fought. Let’s hope the new show doesn’t abandon that for trivial reason.
Posted Report
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Cyborg_pony
You seem to not get what I’m tryna say XD
Ofc Char can beat Amuro, in retrospect. You’re like making a What If theory. Even Tomino admitted that, if Ral had the Dom squad he requested, the course of the war would have shifted way more favorably towards Zeon. You’re taking information you already know about a character’s abilities vs a Gundam and then looking back.
That is NOT what I’m doing. I’m looking at first episodes and conclude that it is still a narrative FACT, that Lead Gundams absolutely claps everybody in front of them in the first episode. This is undeniable.
In terms of narrative, you can’t have the Rival Ace wreck the Lead MC on the first episode. First you gotta establish how strong the Lead MC is, by having characters LOSE to the MC. In the first episode, the plot armor of the Lead Gundam is rock solid. At this point, having the Lead Gundam lose in the first episode is an exception to the rule.
That is why if YOU, even with the top of the line, best most advanced custom mech, highly decorated with 70k hours of combat experience. It is MUCH more likely that, if you have the fourth wall knowledge of being in the first episode and facing a Gundam…
Just know that you will take a huge L.
Posted Report
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

AFTER the first episode is over, THEN you usually will have Rival Ace either making their grand entrance by winning or putting up a decent fight against a Gundam either through raw skill, advanced tech or both. It’s ALWAYS how it works.
Meaning: NEVER fight the Lead Gundam in the first episode. Wait for two or three more eps, when the Lead Gundam’s plot armor starts to fade, and the Rival Ace plot armor is strong.
Posted Report
Cyborg_pony

@tehwatever
That would make the show boring though. Without a strong rival Char Clone the show
Plus in the first episode; Amero only fought two Zaku IIs. Had there been more, he probably would have lost being he was a level 1 going against trained solders. He wasn’t unstopped until much later, so much so, the Gundam itself became obsolete a little more then half way through.
In Zeta; Kamille Bidan was known to have piloting skills, plus was backed up by 2 others One being a vet against pompous Jerad and his team.
X; Garrod was told about the Moon canon and that’s how he won.
I would need to rewatch a bunch more, but if they usually Win the first episode Because obvious need to show the GUNDAM strong They usually have a lot of training Like in Wing or 00.
And my point was really if Char did, he most likely would have beat Amero being more skilled with a high mobility Zaku II.
If they were to show the Gundam clean through an entire battalion, the show would be stale EP.1, and I wouldn’t care about the character inside since It’s most likely all because of the Gundam, so their growth doesn’t matter in the slightest.
Posted Report
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Because obvious need to show the GUNDAM strong
Period.
The Gods Above will line the stars and bend the universe backwards to make sure the Lead Gundam comes out on top in the first ep.
Oh who is this girl that can tell me I can shoot giant laser canon when the moon is out, that I never known about?
Oh there only happens to be a couple of Zaku II, what are the odds?
I tell you if Char happens to go back in time and show up in the first ep his High Mobility Red Zaku II, he probably will have inexplicable malfunction that would give him an L.
First eps are reserved for Gundam being strong, and it’s the job of writers to somehow make it believable.
THAT is why I KNEW this nibba will get absolutely bodied the moment he challenged our lead MC Mercury for a 1v1, in the first ep. on her first day of school.
Posted Report
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Artist -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
The meme is dead folks. Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood War will be streaming on Hulu in the U.S., and on Disney+ internationally.
Posted Report
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Cyborg_pony
Don’t matter. it’s kinda the rule. But to me it was still hype because I don’t know HOW he going to lose.
Besides, after watching so many Gundam series and seeing ppl get their MS trashed by the Lead Gundam in their first appearance, why expect any different? Even the Gunpla series pull that off.
Posted Report
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
It’s hard for me to say what my favorite anime of the past season was. None of the shows I watched were bad, but nothing really stood out above the rest.
I got to see The Yakuza’s Guide to Babysitting, which started slow but ended up good, Devil Is A Part-Timer season 2 was okay even though season 1 was better, When Will Ayumu Make His Move was fun and I hope it really gets a second season, My Recently Hired Maid Is Suspicious was okay but I didn’t think it got really good until the introduction of the tsundere Natsume, and Love Live Superstar season 2, which is still airing as I write this, was typical Love Live fun with goofy humor I love. I thought Uncle From Another World was gonna be the standout for me, but production issues said “Nah, fam. We good.”
I guess my favorites from this season were The Yakuza’s Guide to Babysitting and When Will Ayumu Make His Move, as they were the ones I found the most enjoyment in. Both were I’d probably say an 8 out of 10.
I did get to finish Oddtaxi for the first time last week. My goodness. Talk about an amazing series. Highly recommend it. 9 out of 10.
Posted Report
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Is it really just me, or do anime these days offer you extremely strongly: Hey, read the light novel, or at least buy the manga.
I mean, no biggie. If you know where to look, you can get the manga relatively quickly and without a problem. For free (cough). But I still don’t get along with the concept of light novels.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not against it. But I have read a lot of novels in my life. And light novels still feel pretty… to me. Hm… Simple. Is this some Japanese thing that I just don’t get? Or are light novels really what I know from the game genre as well. Just don’t read the text, just … In my opinion, there are two/three types of games: Visual Novels that are really great; Novels that are simply fanservice and those that are just: Join our game and get all your waifus.
Just to explain: I’m not complaining. I’m neither for nor against it. I’m from the 90s and I’m more familiar with this combination of manga and anime. But light novels… I still can’t figure it out.
Either the anime is awesome and the manga is fantastic, but there’s still a lot more light novel stuff, or the anime lags behind the whole thing so much that after a while I’m uncomfortable having to still read the manga AND light novels to really understand it all.
To me, at least up to this point, light novels feel like a pretty cheap product that hangs ahead of the whole thing faster, just to see how many people are actually interested in the product. And that feels to me like a really cheap way to gauge the fanbase. Especially when the anime is actually great, but you discontinue it because hey, we’re just not making enough money off of it.
Sorry, I know creating anime is a tough job and you want to make as much money as possible with it. All good, I can accept that if an anime is based more on a light novel, and that creates enough content to justify more seasons of an anime.
But… It still doesn’t really work for me. Sometimes I wish I could go back to earlier times when anime was almost entirely based on manga. And like movies based on light novels. But this whole intermix thing right now, to me, is a dead end in the way anime is supposed to work. Especially in that many projects are often canceled just because the light novel doesn’t sell. Or, to make it even more clear, when the light novel doesn’t work, and you get extremely bad 2nd or 3rd seasons as a result.
Sorry, no bitch complaint. Just my question: How do you see this. Have you had good or bad experiences? And what should you actually focus on as an anime fan these days? Simple hint: I care zero about English dub. Only Japanese English/German sub. ;-)
Silent_Witness
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Chippin’ In
@DarkObsidian
That’s actually some thing that I’ve mentioned before. One of my biggest grievances with anime adaptations of light novels is that in a lot of instances, they feel less like proper adaptations and more like extended advertisements for the light novels they’re based on. I realize that commercial success plays a role in determining whether or not they get any kind of extension, but the problem is that a lot of translators, both official and Internet-based, just aren’t very interested in light novels, unless their anime adaptation is wildly successful and thus there’s incentive to translate them. Otherwise, most of the time, the anime is only thing anyone outside Japan will get. And that’s not even getting into the various issues that adaptations can run into, which includes adapting out exposition that’s vital to understanding the story.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide