Gun Discussion

Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
The problem with needing a bullet that both punches harder and goes further is that you’re limited by physics on how compact you can make the gun. IIRC 5.56 is most optimal when fired out of an 18” barrel, and 7.62 out of a 20” barrel.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
It’s funny, because that particular model, the Mk. 1, is considered passé in 3D-printed gun circles. I don’t mean that in a bad way mind you, just that it’s considered an older design…despite being released in 2020. Things have progressed so fast since its original release that this is one of the potential successors to the FGC-9 Mk. 2.
Short-barrelled rifle for those in America. Pistol-caliber carbine for everyone else. Made with next-to-nil actual legal gun parts, and can be made anywhere.
Beth
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

In digital purgatory
I want an 18” barrel AR-15 with extended forgrip, maybe a carbine gas system for better balance. Raptor charging handle and magpul adjustable stock.
Perfect for home defence, especially since my house is built on the second floor, my rifle rounds would be going downwards, and not into my neighbors.
I might not be allowed to own one, I have no clue. Nobody gives me an email when I get put on a watchlist.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
Put this on vent earlier but then I was shown this thread:
SMG’s are weird.
They’re outclassed by regular Pistols in terms of constant reliability and ease of portability, Single Barreled Shotguns in terms of close, mid, and sometimes slight far range effectiveness, and Assault Rifles at greater distances and accuracy.
I guess they’re a ”Jack of all trades but Master of none” type of deal?
And no, dual wielding hardly ever works in real life as it does in games and movies.
Beth
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

In digital purgatory
@CaptainXtra
Don’t semi auto 9’s make SMG’s obsolete? I think you got the right idea though. The wonder 9’s alone don’t outclass SMG’s in reach anyway.
Dual wielding is junk. Give your brain as few task as possible for best efficiency. Even trying to take out two guys at the same time sounds like a bad idea, you should never be in that position to begin with.
Beth

In digital purgatory
@CaptainXtra
I figure that a bigger gun is just going to have a longer range, bigger barrel, with a chamber designed for high capacity mags.
An uzi is going to have more offensive power than a baby Glock, but not as concealable. Can’t just stuff an a-model 10mm uzi down your pants, unlike a trans person protecting themselves with a baby glock.
Berreta also markets an outstanding semi auto 9, i think the US army commissioned them.
Beth

In digital purgatory
@CaptainXtra
I didn’t say the words “in reach” so I can’t help there. I just figure a longer gun is going to go further, the autoloading mechanisms are a whole different ballpark, I figured kickback or gas operated are matched.
Beth

In digital purgatory
Oh I did say “in reach”. I figured the SMG would have some kind of stock and longer barrel so the bullet would go farther. If your shoulder doesn’t meet the stock, half the power will go in the other direction, which is why i wouldn’t just spray an m16 underhand like Rambo or some shit.
Background Pony #5252
@CaptainXtra
SMGs were very popular before assault rifles were invented. But since assault rifles are so good, SMGs went out of fashion. Still, they aren’t dead at all. In some militaries, vehicle crews still use them, though they are being replaced by SBRs or PDWs. Compact SMGs are still useful for e.g. bodyguards. Pistol caliber carbines are gaining popularity in the sporting world.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Not really, because the same criticisms of SMGs also apply to SBRs/carbines. In a military context, carbines make a lot more sense over SMGs since it simplifies logistics (lots more parts continuity and ammunition compatibility), but that doesn’t apply everywhere. In a non-military context SMGs and their PCC counterparts make quite a bit of sense, especially with regards to home and civil defence, since they’ll likely share ammunition commonality with guns that people already own (pistols).
Beyond that, physics favours SMGs/PCCs, because unless your gunpowder is anti-matter based, anything with a barrel under 16” for 5.56 is leaving ballistics performance on the table. IIRC for 9mm the optimal barrel length for conventional loads is like 6-8”, with anything above 10” being pointless, meaning that pistols are already a tradeoff between compactness and ballistics performance. In that case, why not also get something that uses the same ammo that your handgun uses, but more effectively and in a more practical package?
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
Now I’ll give the SMG points on two things:
Ammo for it is relatively easier to come by and its usually lighter than than the average Auto Rifle or Shotgun.
So yeah, I guess there’s a reason why SMG’s haven’t gone the way of Muskets yet.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
No one’s said anything for almost a week so…
What do you call:
A rifle that fires pistol bullets?
A shotgun that fires rifle bullets?
A pistol that fires shotgun slugs?
A grenade launcher that fires rockets and vice versa?
Basically swapped ammo.
I know all these are likely super impractical or outright impossible to achieve but never underestimate the will of crazy lads and gals to make guns that fire out weird stuff.
ᎶㄖҜㄩ 乃ㄥ卂匚Ҝ
One-Star Dragon Ball - For supporting the site
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

Zamasu
No one’s said anything for almost a week so…
What do you call:
A rifle that fires pistol bullets?
A shotgun that fires rifle bullets?
A pistol that fires shotgun slugs?
A grenade launcher that fires rockets and vice versa?
Basically swapped ammo.
I know all these are likely super impractical or outright impossible to achieve but never underestimate the will of crazy lads and gals to make guns that fire out weird stuff.
A pistol caliber carbine.
I’m not entirely sure.
A handheld shotgun?
Rockets are considered to be rocket propelled grenades, so…?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide