Gun Discussion

CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
How utterly screwed up would the timeline get if you introduced automatic rifles, shotguns, and pistols as well as Rocket/Grenade Launchers to Wild West Outlaws?
Jesus, that would be awful.
Now granted, it would be quite awhile before their uneducated asses got used to the kickback and recoil but still…
Background Pony #5252
@CaptainXtra
Sounds plausible, but I know too little about tasers and gorillas to be sure. I don’t even know how taser shotgun compares to regular tasers.
Another question is: for how long would the gorilla be incapacitated? Because you don’t want the effect to end after 10 seconds and face a pissed off gorilla. A gorilla cannot be pacified with “don’t move or we’ll do that again”.
RustleRustle
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Battybattybattybatty-
@Ebalosus
Eh, about the only thing I could suggest is to lift the barrel, bolt assembly, action and magazine well further toward the top of the frame, but I’m not a gunsmith and I don’t have a clear picture of the internals, so I can’t really pass judgment.
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
What was the First Rocket Launcher to have recorded use in combat?
How did Shotguns and Tommy Guns become associated with Rednecks and Mobsters respectively?
Where did the idea of a Nail Gun that fires ranged projectiles in games come from?
Beth
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

In digital purgatory
@CaptainXtra
Animals don’t have the frontal lobe to second guess their future.
Humans are stopped by tasers because they don’t want to be hit again, a gorilla will just get more and more angry. Gorillas are smart enough to eventually learn defeat from a taser, but they can also smash your head like a grape in the meantime.
Background Pony #5252
@CaptainXtra
Consider the well known RPG-7 rocket launcher. The RPG acronym means Ручной Противотанковый Гранатомёт - literally “Handheld Antitank Grenadethrower”. And there’s also the English backronym: Rocket Propelled Grenade.
Now, I’m not sure how exactly are “rocket”, “grenade” and “rocket-propelled grenade” defined in English. But the point is that it’s not so simple and casual/gaming terms are often different from technical/military terms.
Zerowinger
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@CaptainXtra
The M1 Bazooka was the first man-portable rocket weapon developed and used in combat.
Shotguns get associated with rednecks because they are cheap and used widespread in rural areas, while the Tommy Gun got associated with mobsters due to their use by organized crime in the Prohibition era, particularly during the notorious “St. Valentine’s Day Massacre.”
No idea where the idea of using a nail gun as an actual weapon came from, they probably just thought it up.
Background Pony #5252
@Zerowinger
Tommy Gun got associated with mobsters mostly due to Hollywood. It made for cooler movies and, as we all know, movies are reality. Mobsters used it very rarely, though each such case was widely published and sensationalized by the media.
@CaptainXtra
I meant that it doesn’t matter how much powder is in the case of the round. In semi-auto pistols, shooting a round with too little or too weak powder means the bullet will fly out of the barrel, but the next cartridge will not be loaded into the chamber because the shot did not provide enough energy for the slide to fully cycle. In revolvers, user rotates the cylinder anyway, independently of the energy of the round that was just shot. Even if the round did not fire for some reason, the cylinder will still rotate.
So Revolvers usually do hit harder than Pistols if the same type of bullet comes out of it?
When firing identical ammo (not just identical bullet), they actually hit a bit weaker because most revolvers lose some of the propellant gas pressure through the gap between the cylinder and the barrel.

In practice, it doesn’t matter that much. The bullet will still have plenty of energy.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
First: yeah, the more you learn about the Thompson and its history, the more you realise that it’s place in firearms history is like 2% pushing things forward and 98% hot gas (if you’ll excuse the puns). Its only real contributions were the blish lock, which Derwood would laughably copy with his BS memagnet recoil “”“deletion””” system in the KC9, and the hollywood hype machine. If you believe fiction, then the Thompson was the be-all-and-end-all of submachine guns up until WW2, when in reality is was an overpriced over-engineered rich-man’s gun that was only adopted because of graft and dropped as soon as cheaper and better options came along.
There’s a reason the Grease Gun retained its popularity and adoption all the way up until after Desert Storm.
Second: Another piece of fuddlore surrounding revolvers that occasionally pops up is “it’s stronger/more accurate because there’s no energy lost to reloading!” Like with the cylinder gap thing, in practical shooting its quite hard to measure given variables like training and familiarity with the firearm in question.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
So the Red Dead series got the whole “Revolvers are less powerful but easier to maintain than Pistols” thing right I presume?
Every other gun focused game and movie portrays Revolvers as much more powerful than Pistols…
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
@Goku Black
So basically Revolvers really only just have the “easier to maintain/repair, less likely to jam/malfunction, and look much cooler” things going for them over Pistols?
Background Pony #5252
@CaptainXtra
In general, games don’t like to portray guns realistically because that is boring. Games try to make weapons different from each other, so it’s fun to try them all. What would be the point of having revolvers in a game if no one used them?
This is why shotguns in games are nukes at one feet and a slight gust of wind at twenty feet. This is why pistols in games are often very accurate over long distances. This is why revolvers in games deal more damage than rifles. Balance and fun sell the games, not boring realism. Unless of course realism is the selling point of the game, like ARMA.
lonewolf
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

U mad?
Finally found some better ammo for my 9mm. One online place had 50ct boxes of Federal Premium HST for $40 so I got 2 (what I have right now wouldn’t be good for defense situations). Luckily this place accepted debit cards because my only CC is a Capital One and they forbid gun related purchases because they’re pussies like that.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
A gun One of the potential successors to the FGC-9, with a telescoping bolt in lieu of a buffer tube, Scorpion Evo mags instead of Glock mags, and a bullpup instead of a conventional-layout firearm.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide