Gun Discussion

Background Pony #5252
@CaptainXtra
I’m referring to the fact that in some games, pistols are more accurate at long distance than rifles. In real life, you can hit a silhouette target at 100 m with a factory Glock, if you are good enough. But that’s mostly it. Meanwhile in games you can often snipe with pistols because their first shot is a pixel-accurate hitscan over infinite distance.
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
Grip attachments for Rifles and Shotguns are pretty common but that can’t be said for Pistols:
I’m surprised that SWAT Teams or Army Troopers don’t use these extensions in order to improve accuracy by reducing recoil.
I mean yeah, Handguns are meant as a backup if their Long Guns somehow run out of ammo or get lost but you understand what I’m saying here…
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
Blame the stupidity of the NFA for that. People would put vertical foregrips and stocks on pistols if they didn’t have to pay Uncle Sam $200 for the privilege.
Background Pony #5252
@CaptainXtra
Is this really a pistol, or a rifle without a stock?
I guess by US law it’s a pistol and that’s the reason it exists. But it’s bolt-action, so I’d say that in reality it’s a rifle.
Beth
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

In digital purgatory
@Background Pony #5252
A stock makes the difference between a shotgun and a smoothbore pistol. Correct me if I’m wrong, but a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip is a smoothbore pistol, regardless of barrel length.
However it seems that mostly the overall length distinguishes a pistol from a rifle. However a rifle is has a stock, so a really long pistol without a stock is ‘Any other weapon’ and possibly less legal despite not having any advantages to a rifle (maybe more concealable).
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
Blame the stupidity of the NFA for that. People would put vertical foregrips and stocks on pistols if they didn’t have to pay Uncle Sam $200 for the privilege.
Surprised that the NRA haven’t at least contested for that price to be cut in half.
Background Pony #5252
@Beth
What I meant is that the distinctions US law makes are different from real distinctions. Shotgun without a stock might be a pistol under US law, but in reality it’s still a shotgun. Pistol with a stock might be an SBR in US, but in reality it’s still a pistol.
@CaptainXtra
That price used to be really high when the law was enacted (equivalent to $4,051 in 2021), but inflation is steadily decreasing it. And NRA is increasingly considered to be useless. From what I see, FPC is slowly becoming the leading gun rights organization.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
I know I discussed dual wielding as being not really worth it but about this scenario:
or this image for something more modern:
Handgun + Knife = Win or Fail?

And a different subject:
AR fires Rifle bullets and SMG fires Pistol bullets which would make this lad an AR instead of SMG despite looking like one:
Background Pony #5252
@CaptainXtra
Knife makes sense as a backup, but holding it together with a pistol does not seem to make sense.

This is SIG MCX. It’s inspired by AR-15, but it’s a different gun. For example it has no buffer tube (which allows the stock to be foldable/detachable/etc.) and it has a short stroke gas piston instead of a direct impingement system.
In this case the barrel is really short, so the gun would be classified as a short barreled rifle. It’s possible that it’s chambered in .300 Blackout instead of .223 Remington because the former works better with shorter barrels. For .223, this barrel would be comically short and the muzzle flash would be huge.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
The NFA don’t give two shits, as their entire grift is keeping the laws that currently exist on the books in order to help their fund-raising.
Funnily enough a lot of other service rifles are knockoff AR-18s in different packaging, whereas the Soviets/Russians just kept building the design that they know worked.
Also, up until recently all Israeli service rifles were AK knockoffs in different packaging, since the design worked far better in their environment than the European-designed FAL.
Background Pony #5252
@CaptainXtra
Fun fact: even though many ex-СССР guns look similar, internally they can be quite different from each other. For example SVD vs PSL or Vz-58 vs AK.
@CaptainXtra
I wouldn’t call it “steady accuracy”. Still, it’s impressive.
Background Pony #5252
@NitroFury
I wonder how much is that battle tuna different from the G36?
@CaptainXtra
The power of anime aside, that doesn’t look like a good idea. It’s harder to use for untrained people (aiming a handgun requires training) and more likely to malfunction than a pepper spray. A single shot only delivers a little of the irritating agent. And it looks like a gun, which means that the bad guy might think you are about to shoot him. Often this will result in him running away, but it might also result in him thinking he’s fighting for life and going apeshit on you. Which you can’t stop because you have a gun-shaped object, not a gun.
Other products of this company seem to be similarly questionable. WTF is a bullet resistant backpack? And it’s level IIIA, so it’s rated for most handgun rounds. This makes sense as most mass shootings are done with handguns, but I’m sure the buyers imagine rifles when they buy it.
RustleRustle
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Battybattybattybatty-
I wonder how much is that battle tuna different from the G36?
There’s pretty much no difference outside of aesthetic and attachment methods. If I remember right, the XM8’s attachment points are more like an MLOK or Keymod compared to the G36’s picatinnies. Some proprietary system that was made of captive pegs, I think. Otherwise, it’s just a fancy G36 that Army Ordnance asked to have a Starship Troopers aesthetic. No, I’m not joking, that’s literally what they said.
Alexk13

Earlier today, I saw a semi-auto AK at a shop that was based on the AKS-74U, except with the folding stock being an adjustable, AR-based one.
If I had the money to buy it, the one change I’d make is to put on a muzzle break more like the kind on full-sized AK-74 rifles (mostly my preference in aesthetics, honestly)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide