Gun Discussion

Background Pony #5252
@Beth
No. The Liberator was all plastic (save for a firing pin made from a nail I think), while FGC-9 has a steel barrel and bolt. This significantly increases longevity. I’m not sure how long it lasts, but I’d guess few hundred to few thousand shots before something breaks.
Beth
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

In digital purgatory
@Background Pony #5252
Yeah. The highest energy density is right where the firing pin strikes the primer. Then it rapidly expands out, and weaker material can handle it.
Basic engineering, but i’m an airhead so it took me a bit to figure out.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
The rough mean-time-between-failures is around 3,000 rounds, and that’s more due to barrel and spring wear than anything to do with the receiver, fire-control group, or furniture.
Put it this way: it would last about as long in a normal extended firefight as any other gun.
FliegerFaustToP47
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Laß mich sterben
Omg Ahoy, I love his videos, that guy can talk about a leaf of bread and make it sound epic.
From what I know, ancient flamethrowers were around 10 AD and 7AD, by the Chinese and Byzantine Empire, respectively. But modern flamethrowers were designed by Germany in WW1, and they were used since then (Though in contemporary times they’re seldom seen)
Actually, from what I’ve read around, a flamethrower operator was not so much in danger of being turned into a crispy bacon when their flamethrower fuel tank was hit. If I remember correctly, even if a bullet pierced the fuel tanks (Which were quite sturdy to begin with, thick walls and their cute cylindrical shape), they just would have the fuel leaking from it, like a gallon of water would do if you poke a needle on it. Aside from that, very few bullets could actually manage to conflagrate the substance inside; from what I know, only machineguns and things like anti-tank rifles had incendiary properties (For machineguns the tracer mixture I think), gasoline has a 530 degrees Fahrenheit ignition point, 80 degrees more than paper, and regular bullets couldn’t reach that temperature even when piercing. Aside from that, the fuel mixture flamethrowers that were generally used didn’t really lit up unless it reached the ignition method at the tip of the barrel.
As for the pressurised gas tank that propels the fuel mixture out of the flamethrower… Well… I think Mythbusters tried piercing a pressurised gas tank (A regular one, not a flamethrower gas tank), with uneventful results, so my best guess it’s that it would just hiss out the gas (Though I believe that it would probably propel you forward hilariously, or atleast, make you fall face first, by Newton’s third law). To not mention that the pressurised gas was non-flammable nitrogen or even air, which doesn’t really deflagrate as far as I know. Having said that, there was the chance of the gas tank exploding like an aerosol can when ruptured, which would probably be very bad for you.
Although, even though it was hard to make a flamethrower explode, I’m kinda sure it would be quite awful if fuel starts leaking from behind you while you also have the means of lightening that same fuel in your very hands. To not mention that the flamethrower role was extremely dangerous mostly because of your job requirements; having to get close, very close to the enemy, isn’t something that most soldiers want, and of course, no one wants to die on fire, so the moment they spot a flamethrower they’ll gonna leave him like Swiss cheese with concentrated fire, that’s one of the reasons the Russians made their ROKS-2 flamethrowers to be resemble the knapsack used by regular soldiers, and the muzzle was vaguely shaped like a Mosin-Nagant, so they would blend between the other soldiers.
Sorry, flamethrowers are my favourite weapons >.<. I so wish to have an XL18 flamethrower… And I’m not a pyromaniac… Honest!
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Pomegranates :P
It seems a number of militaries around the world are shifting back towards the more traditional assault rifle configuration from the bullpup. I take bullpups have certain inadequacies?
Beth
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

In digital purgatory
@FliegerFaustToP47
It’s cool to learn the physics behind it.
Yeah I think its fear factor screwed it in the end, alongside making the soldier much heavier, and obviously brighter.
Background Pony #5252
@Beth
The reason flamethrowers disappeared is short range.
The problem is “these guys are way over there and I want to set them on fire”. “Approach them” is not a great solution. A better solution is “shoot incendiary or thermobaric projectiles at them” and this is what modern militaries do.
FliegerFaustToP47
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Laß mich sterben
To not mention the short range. Sure, they weren’t that short ranged compared to how media (Especially videogames) portray them, with those weapons being depicted with a couple meters range when they actually could reach from 40 to 70 meters the most modern ones, but even a submachinegun could reach around 120 to 180 meters of maximum effective range.
Having said that, the People’s Liberation Army still uses them, a Type 74 flamethrower in ‘action’, derivative of the Russian LPO-50.

And other nations have found other ways to deliver infantry-portable incendiary ordnance, like the Russian RPO Shmel or the American M202 FLASH.
Darn it, that BP was a ninja >.<. Now I look stupid >.>
Background Pony #5252
@Ebalosus
The 9-barrel one seems to have a smartphone mounted. I guess there really is an app for everything.
I’m surprised, but also glad, that in the age of modern DIY guns like FGC-9, criminals still build crude blunderbusses. And that’s with access to the internet and enough time, resources and brain to make actual explosives (reportedly there were explosives in his apartment). Unfortunately it seems like even these crude shotguns are good enough for crime.
EDIT: I’d also like to point out that he didn’t even bother with getting a shotgun legally, which is possible in Japan. He could put in the effort and time to get a license, he just preferred to spend them on a blunderbuss.
Beth

In digital purgatory
It’s probably easier to rig 9 barrels with electric primers than make a homemade autoloading mechanism. If that’s what I’m looking at.
I want the schematic for that gun, it looks absolutely delightful. Maybe the phone tells the gun what chamber to fire.
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
So how truly useful are Burst Rifles or at least Burst Modes on Rifles for Soldiers and SWAT?
Why go with that over Full Auto or Semi for situations that would warrant use of them?
FliegerFaustToP47

Laß mich sterben
Oh, oh, oh!
A friend (Who I won’t say any name, because it’s a private conversation) once gave me an explanation of that, well, kinda.
…Just, there’s not much point. Full-auto burns ammo so quick that it’s less dangerous than semi-auto unless it’s something like a belt-fed machine gun. Like, an M16 fires 950 rounds per minute, so 16 bullets a second: you’d empty a 30 round magazine in 2 seconds. Heck, the modern-day US Army uses modified M16s that don’t even have full-auto anymore, but have semi-auto and three-round-burst.
I hope it’s helpful ^^
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
For the reason he built the gun that killed Abe, it performed exactly to specification. I mean, it makes a lot more sense than either a high-powered rifle or a pistol, especially if you need to be discrete.
The non-gender-specific individuals over at the [3D-printed gun] labs are already working on replicating the double-barrel version to see how it compares to the latest and greatest designs of 3D-printed guns. The 9-barrel monstrosity will take time, because A) it’s likely that he didn’t document the design, and B) even if he did, the Japanese police sure-as-shit aren’t going to release it for use to peruse. It’ll involve a lot of guesswork to rebuild it, but it should be very doable.
Burst mode has always been a crutch for training, and it only used when they either don’t want to spend the money on ammo, or can’t afford to spend the money on ammo, to train [whomever] in utilising full auto mode. It takes an awful lot of practice to git gud at full auto marksmanship.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide