The great GamerGate discussion. (Stuff and things)

The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
Because I guess people read whatever they want to read,

full

“recalled thinking at the time” refers to “Six years ago”, not his thoughts on TLAU2.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@Scrabbleman  
Yes, that’s the point, in that quote he was talking about TLOU1.

@Penguin Dragneel  
Can you stop intentionally misinterpreting reality just so it validates your anger? I’m not going to ignore or lie about things just because they don’t track with one view or another.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@NitroFury  
That’s owned my Microsoft, and they wanted to ban people from games using the Kinect by listening if they say “bad words”

You can bet if that took over Twitch, it wouldn’t be E-THOTs and thirsty staffers, it’d be more draconian. They’d probably implement making your gamertag apart of the service and getting banned off Mixer bans your XBL account.
Plain Pony
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Not a Plane pony
I don’t see Twitch having any major change in the near future. The main purpose of the site, at least historically, is to watch people do stuff. As far as I know, Twitch doesn’t ban you from doing that. Interacting with the streamer and their chat is a different story, but each stream gets moderated by different people, and you don’t get sitewide banned unless you do stuff like heavily spam the chat. Any popular stream is near impossible to hold a conversation in, and is more like shouting into a hurricane, so they’re interchangeable as far as chat experience goes. Smaller streams will have their own rules, and always have, and again, you can’t be banned sitewide for breaking the rules in one person’s chat.

I don’t know, maybe it’s different for the people doing the streams themselves, but for the users, I don’t know how things could really change from how they are now.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@Plain Pony  
People have banned Streamers, one got banned for making fun of the E-THOTs, yet a lot of them get away with doing a ton of shit.

Some of them stream while driving, while speeding and starring at the webcam. One of them even “SHOWED OF HER COOKIE!” and staff had there back and told them to delete the VOD so there was no evidence. There’s a reason people are calling Twitch the next Charterbate, hell, I remember when they added the “just chatting” function, a bunch of them celebrated and say “now I don’t need to pretend to like games anymore!” and that just opened the floodgate to them.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
That’s owned my Microsoft, and they wanted to ban people from games using the Kinect by listening if they say “bad words”

That was a bug on the game developer’s side that passed player voice through Live as if it were an online match.

It was also 8? years ago; MS has changed radically since then, they’ve even become the single largest contributor to open source projects.

Regardless, Mixer is unlikely to overtake Twitch anytime soon barring a total collapse of Twitch and Google dropping the ball in directing people to Youtube Streaming. Mixer is very focused on integration with games and user interaction in chat (ala viewers can play minigames in chat, or even have chat affect what happens in games). AFAIK they have very little in the way of free-form podcast style streams that dominate Twitch.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@Cyborg_pony  
Bug / implementation oversight. It’s very common for features that involve text input to reuse systems, so a game that lets you rename a helmet or house in a game is probably reusing much of the same code that also handles chatting with other players. And that leads to things like word filters being applied to renaming items only the player sees. Not much different for a system meant to listen to voice to interpret commands; just use existing voicechat features and build on that.

Many of the things that go wrong in games that people attribute to malice or sinister intent are just the result of laziness or being completely oblivious to some issue that other people care a lot about.
Plain Pony
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Not a Plane pony
@Cyborg_pony  
If they are banning people for that kind of thing, then that is a problem. I am aware of Twitch’s biased enforcement of the rules, but it’s not as big a deal as a place like Twitter, as Twitch isn’t a social media platform designed for communication between people. They’d have to go pretty far in their censorship for me to really care.

Twitch has definitely moved from its original goal of being a video game streaming site. While I liked that Twitch was video games only, I can simply avoid streams that don’t play video games, and do so. The reason why Twitch got rid of the video game requirement wasn’t just to get more money, it was a common request from Twitch’s userbase. It’s a win-win.

Twitch won’t die anytime soon. Unlike Youtube, they have a very good business model. Their biggest threat is direct donations, and they already provided their own version of that in Bits, which is a terrible system, but has been proven to work. Twitch got big because they can sustain themselves, unlike Youtube, which just throws money into a hole in order to dominate the competition. Twitch even has a limited ability to upload videos to the site, although it’s not widely used.
NitroFury
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Horseplay
Artist -

Nitro Cat Bad!
While Twitch as a site won’t die, its reputation will. Besides, why would put someone on the Twitch Safety Council who said that “All Gamers are White Supremacists”?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide