The great GamerGate discussion. (Stuff and things)

Whatevo
Thread Starter - The great GamerGate discussion.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Arch-Rarifag
Admin note: As this has grown beyond what it began as, the title has been changed to reflect current events. If you’re just now joining us, hold on tight; it’s one hell of a long and bumpy ride. -TLL
Formerly known as “It’s a Quinnspiracy: Itsthinking, avoid this thread”

Now. As someone of you have heard, there’s some shit regarding Zoe Quinn.

I initially wanted to avoid this but InternetAristocrat has made that impossible by playing on my emotions in all the right ways

http://youtu.be/C5-51PfwI3M

Now. None of us want to talk about the tumblr mentality, many of you dont want to talk with me because you don’t care for my views on things (and admittedly I let myself get bogged down in some bitterness for a long while, my own fault)  
All of that is fine.  
But there are important facts to consider:

If you believe in Social Justice, then you need to take a stand. Not simply because Quinn has perverted what you believe along with a chunk of tumblr. But because if you do not, people like IA and myself will control the dialogue. And you cannot have that.

If you lean more on the anti-SJW side of things, well then 2014 has been a great fucking year for you and now is the time to drive the point home and not let the truth be swept under the rug.

Ultimately if both sides believe in any flavor of democratic or free discourse, this needs to be discussed.

And if you don’t care and you just like the games… Well look at who manipulates gamer ‘culture’.
Background Pony #677F
You know, I think everyone does the best they can. I don’t know her motivations and I don’t know all that went into this matter but it seems unpleasant on every side.

Always opinions. Opinions. He hurt me, she hurt me, this happened, that happened. Viewpoints are skewed from dishonesty about the situation.

The truth is, from what I have seen, is that none of this matters. I hope everyone will turn their head from ugliness and instead latch onto honesty and happiness. Give up trifles and instead embrace a common meaning when possible.

IN short, we may never know the truth of this matter but how do we profit, personally, by speaking on it? Instead, I hope people will just ask themselves “What can I do today to make someone happy?” “What can I do to express myself with honest?”

I do not say this to insult you, Whatevs, but such a subject can only bring discord. How does it benefit us to speculate?
Whatevo

Arch-Rarifag
@Background Pony #71F8  
I am not insulted. I think you make a good point. Personally, I don’t see much speculation. Not much room for speculation.

And if it is fradulent, then it should be talked about.  
Not her sex life, that is her deal as IA pointed out, but the potential ramifications in the industry.  
People shutting down the argument, as many have (this is being censored on /v/ of all places), only makes people suspect the worst.  
Jim Sterling pointed that out when talking about corrupt indie devs.

Hence why I am putting it out there.
Background Pony #677F
I understand what you are saying but my point is a little different. Why should we have such much worry for the bad actions or good actions of others in an industry we can not control?

That is to say, what can we do aside from witness such things happening and instead turn our minds towards what is important?

Imagine, right now, there is a chance to say kind words to someone at a store or make someone smile and there is another chance we spend time looking into matters that cause us despair?

What brings more benefit to the world?

I think I understand your intentions. You dislike the idea of corruption. However, what can we do about corruption other than avoid it in ourself? How can we know the truth of situations that are so obscure and distant?

If 2 cars crash in front of my house I can relate what I saw. HOwever, if someone tells me the story of 2 cars crashing I have only their words to piece it together. How will I ever know the truth other than by the words and work of others?
Whatevo

Arch-Rarifag
@Background Pony #71F8  
This may be erroneous but people like Quinn get more attention and support from people in the industry. Especially the “journalists”, while people they step on (pro-women in gaming thing she ruined in video) get covered up.

So I think in order to get the world you want, we need to out an end to these practices.

But, you strike me as a good person who outs their weight behind the right causes so I doubt you have this issue.
archestereo

I think I understand your intentions. You dislike the idea of corruption. However, what can we do about corruption other than avoid it in ourself? How can we know the truth of situations that are so obscure and distant?
If 2 cars crash in front of my house I can relate what I saw. However, if someone tells me the story of 2 cars crashing I have only their words to piece it together. How will I ever know the truth other than by the words and work of others?

This that you’re talking about right here? This is actually a big part of an existential crisis I’ve been having; I think I might have tried to say something like this in the Religion General thread, but I definitely wasn’t nearly as articulate (to be honest, just about anything I say is pretty much cannon fodder).

…that said, I’m wanting very much to make sure nothing bites me in the ass later on, and in a sense that’s where Whatevs is coming from; to a degree, we actually can control the industry to a certain point with our disposable income, assuming we don’t get played like Nero’s fiddle.
Background Pony #677F
@archestereo

No problem. I’m sure people can get your intentions clear.

ANd yeah, we can have some small effect on the industry. It’s just that the industry doesn’t matter that much compared to everything else in life. We can get mad at them and sometimes that changes it some but for the most part it just is what it is.

I think it’s better not to become bitter.
uc9
Thread Starter - /nsfw-monster-musume-thread

Corrupter of the pure
Quinnspiracy in a nutshell: SJW complain about video games but when one of them makes a video game she promotes it by sleeping with everyone and sending nudes to website owners to get them to take down articles on her.

“Award for most ironic shitstorm in video game industry of 2014”
silbasa
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

This womans behaviour is not the best exactly, but it is not the main issue here. Whats scary about the whole mess is the way shes been able to use media to promote herself through shady relationships and deals.

She have a lot of power, beeing able to take sites offline, censor reddit and even 4chan have been affected by the censoring. She has also been trying to directly influence people by making fake posts on various sites implicating different boards on 4chan and other sites, accusing them of hacking and posting personal info, such as her dads phonenumber. It was actually a number for a motorbike repairshop in Hawaii btw.

Several SJW friendly gaming news sites seems to be compromised. Nathan Grayson, formerly a writer on Rock Paper Shotgun, now on Kotaku have slept with her and written several pieces on her game “Depression Quest”. John Walker, the owner of Rock Paper Shotgun have been publicly defending her, along with many other from these sites that I simply do not trust anymore.

I do not care who she sleeps with, but I do care about the fact that she is able to use her connections in this way to promote herself, the way she lies to gain sympathy and the hordes of SJWers popping up to defend her. A really bad stain on videogame journalism and a nasty peak at what goes on behind the scenes.

InternetAristocrat is right, this is not what I want gaming or gaming journalism to become.
Frostwolf123

@silbasa

Don’t be sad this happened, be happy. Would you rather have this shit go on behind the scenes and not know about it? It’s not like those attempts at censorship actually worked. People are still talking about it, and she’s basically fingered every last person in her pocket by doing all that. It’s not working out very well, is it. I’m not sad about this story. I’m happy it was exposed.

This stuff happens in business. People do scummy things. The mistake was for everyone to think people like them would somehow be “above” these things. It doesn’t matter who you write for, or how “indie” your work is, or what tumblr thinks of you. You think anyone would act surprised if someone from EA did all this?

I see an important silver lining in all this. This may have been a very important wake up call for a lot of people who don’t understand how little those pretenses mean. People also need to see this to understand, you can’t use your place in the industry as an excuse.

Expecting better because it’s the games industry, and not some morally bankrupt wall street office, is pretty childish. Anyone can be a part of this industry. Therefore, anyone can do unethical things in it. Again, I’m glad this story broke. It’s a good thing these corrupt people are getting burned by this. The industry can’t be as good as we want it to be unless it get’s a little house cleaning now and then.
ColdhardSilver
Thread Starter - Cartoon/Western Animation General

Culture Vulture
The Fire Rises.  
Thanks to the efforts Quinn, we now have a greater spotlight on this kind of dirty dealing in all forms of media. I’d say more, but 4chan, InternetAristocrat, MundaneMatt, etc have said it all.

I’m planning on following this close, just to see what kinda (rightful) hell will be brought up. God willing, I’d hate to image this co-opting popping up and poisoning my other interests like ponies of example; though I’m aware that this is already deeply rooted in many things be it news, movies, etc.
silbasa
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Frostwolf123  
The Streisand effect is uh… well in effect.

@ColdhardSilver  
Hopefully not too much of this corruption in pony fandom, if so it is with fans only, something I can ignore. The show is what matters.

The SJWs attacking the male part of the fandom are dangerous. They influence Hasbro and make bad things happen.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

In Vino Veritas
Nothing legitimizes an industry like a sex scandal, game’s journalism finally has joined the ranks of other bought and payed for wonderful news outlets like CNN and FOX.

It’s rustling my jimmies a bit to see them going hard after TB, dude’s battling cancer (and shitty class challenges in HS) he’s got enough stuff to worry about. I managed to read his post that started the hate-train, it was well thought-out, eloquent, and civil save for a few f-bombs here and there.
uc9
Thread Starter - /nsfw-monster-musume-thread

Corrupter of the pure
I’m not going to lie; all the jokes about Five Guys Burgers and Fries is making laugh “5/5 would see again for a light chuckle” -ign.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide