Mario Discussion

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
Yeah, I’ve had way more luck with unlocking the new characters in the Sonic aps. (Just got Tangle in Sonic Dash.) I kinda wish Mario Kart Tour gave you freebies for ads, or something. People always bitch about ads, but if not overdone they can help keep free games mostly free.
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
So it seems I won’t be getting Paper Mario: The Origami King. I’ve watched ScottFalco’s video describing the differences between the older and newer games and I definitely agree that the first two games and even Super Paper Mario are more of “Mario Story” games meaning I’m more of a Mario Story fan than a Paper Mario fan.  
I hope Intelligent Systems, Miyamoto and those idiots who signed those Club Nintendo surveys are happy because Mario RPGs are pretty much dead. And don’t tell Origami King is an RPG. I’ve seen a video explaining why it’s not an RPG.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
Miyamoto’s not really involved in the Paper Mario series, so he’s oftentimes misblamed for their controversial directions.

Though, it’s a shame people are hating the new game, as the trailers, and such made it seem more story based, and reminiscent of older PM games. It didn’t look that bad to me.  
Though, honestly the older PM/Mario Story games had flaws too, like the rather tedious NPC missions, and such.
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Beau Skunky

Yeah, it was all on Tanabe really (turns out it wasn’t even him “following Miyamoto’s advice too closely”; he INTENTIONALLY removed more of the RPG elements on his own volition). And Origami King at least still seems more fun than the previous two games.
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!

Passionate opinionator
@Beau Skunky  
You sure? There were did that “Paper Mario is fine without a story” comment come from?

There’s no Experience Point system. Without it makes battles feel pointless unless you’re just trying to rack up more coins.  
I do see people not mention the NPC missions when reminiscing on the PM/Mario Story games. Perhaps they don’t want to devalue those games?
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
The developers admitted they probably took that too literally, Miyamoto isn’t anti-story, (look at all the story he allows in Zelda, StarFox, Pikmin, the character backgrounds in F-Zero, ect.) Miyamoto never said to get rid of all story, just that it doesn’t have to be too complex, or the only/main focus.

Sometimes the old PM games did go overboard with the exposition scenes.

@Jarkes  
It even seems a li’l darker kinda like TYD, considering how creepy the Oragami Peach was, and Bowser’s situation could be considered the paper character equivalent of “body horror.”  
So it seems they’re getting back on track.

One problem with the direction of the series is, the controversial “shark jumping” game “Sticker Star” was the most best-selling PM game in Japan. (And they tend to prioritize the Japanese market, being a Japanese company.) Though, apparently many Japanese fans were disapointed in it too, leading to “Paint Splash” to have weak sales.
Jarkes
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Beau Skunky

Also a friend of mine has informed me that there IS more of a progression system with the coins you receive from battles than just buying stronger items/equipment this time around. So battles don’t feel as pointless this time.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Red-Supernova

I just told you that this game actually has a different method of progression with the coins that gives a better incentive for actually doing the battles than the previous two games.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@09MurphyM

Yeah, that too.

I just feel like as great as Thousand-Year Door is, people put it on a pedestal and dismiss its own flaws while bashing the newer games simply because they aren’t like Thousand-Year Door rather than on their own merits.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@09MurphyM

Well, yeah. But my point is oftentimes people don’t actually focus on those flaws for what they actually are, just that it “isn’t Thousand-Year Door, therefore it sucks”.
09MurphyM

@Jarkes  
It’s an example of the “Tough act to follow” trope. Paper mario 2 set a standard in the eyes of fans that the other games except for maybe super paper mario simply have not met lately.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
@09MurphyM  
It’s a shame gamers tend to want the same game over, and over again, and scoff at anything trying anything even slightly new…

While at the same time bashing games like say NewSMB, for “not doing anything new.” (Granted, U/Deluxe & Luigi U had some new features/characters.)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide