Viewing last 25 versions of post by Calbeck in topic Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Calbeck
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[@Background Human](/forums/generals/topics/tartarus?post_id=5239493#post_5239493)
Gabby Giffords was shot by a mental patient who, as it turned out was an Independent who "did not listen to talk radio, didn't take sides". He appears to have been set off by a form letter from Giffords, in response to his question "what is government if words have no meaning?". The New York Times also reported that the shooter's anger would "well up at the sight of President George W. Bush". He was certainly not incited by Republicans to commit assassination against Democrats, let alone "get in their face".

Steve Scalise was shot by a Democratic Party campaign staffer, who was carrying an assassination target list exclusively composed of Republicans.

I agree with you that calling for the hanging of a Vice-President or President is entirely improper, and was also that when millions of anti-Bush marchers were carrying effigies of his being graphically beheaded via guillotine and such like. However, the law which made that sort of thing illegal during the Clinton Administration (a pair of teens were arrested, tried and convicted for joking about it via email when he was President) was allowed to sunset during the Bush Era, which is why such speech has been considered lawful political expression since. Or at least it was; it may have been re-enacted by the Democrat majority since Biden took office. It certainly wasn't illegal during Trump.
No reason given
Edited by Calbeck