Viewing last 25 versions of post by Background Pony #6B50 in topic Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Pony #6B50
[@Meanlucario](/forums/generals/topics/tartarus?post_id=5246839#post_5246839)
No, I don't think you're completely understanding the undertaking and consequences here,

The NY Safe Act was an AWB passed in New York, it had a provision where if you had an assault weapon you had to register it with the state, [let's see how that worked out](https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2016/07/07/massive-noncompliance-with-safe-act/)

"That data shows massive noncompliance with the assault weapon registration requirement. Based on an estimate from the National Shooting Sports Federation, about 1 million firearms in New York State meet the law’s assault-weapon criteria, but just 44,000 have been registered. That’s a compliance rate of about 4 percent."

This is a case where noncompliance is a felony. This is the "opportunity to turn in their guns peacefully" part. Only 4% turned in their guns peacefully. So a gun confiscation nationwide means millions of felons, and enforcing the law means sending police out after them.

To give you an idea, our current prison/jail population is about 2 million. If you don't see a problem with the plan your talking about I hope you also don't complain about our overcrowded prisons.
No reason given
Edited by Background Pony #6B50