Viewing last 25 versions of post by IWTCIEM in topic Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

IWTCIEM
Duck - 100+ images under their artist tag

From @ChrChristensen on twitter:

"Sweden is in the Top 10 countries in the world in terms of firearms per capita, but you are 14 times less likely to be killed in Sweden with a gun than you are in the US. Sweden has gun control.

Getting gun in Sweden: apply w/police after 6 months active membership in registered gun club. May not be carried in public. Gun safe required. Hunting in Sweden: written theory test (70 questions, min. 60 correct); 3 different practical tests (security, accuracy); license.

Don’t let gun nuts bullshit you about Europeans "having their guns taken away." Germany, Sweden, Finland, Norway all have many legal weapons. Gun control is about testing, training, licenses and restricting access to high-powered weapons no civilian should have.

Swedes treat guns like any other dangerous instruments that require knowledge, training & responsibility. Like cars. Swedish driving test is very difficult. Result? Sweden one of lowest road fatalities per capita in world despite harsh winter climate. 4x lower than US.

Here's my favorite argument against gun control: "Gun control laws don't work because criminals don't follow the law." Shit, well, in that case, let's get rid of Stop signs, traffic lights and drunk-driving laws. Because, you know, criminals will always break the law. Idiotic.

Traffic laws exist to regulate behavior of people who are perfectly law-abiding. Not just nut-cases who want to drive drunk. Speed limits, traffic lanes, Stop signs, driving tests are set to reduce deaths among usually good, honest citizens. Same principle with gun control.

The Big Lie of gun lobbyists is about self-protection & they point at Europe. Here’s a secret: US w/the most guns in the world and the UK w/very few guns have the same per capita homicide rate using knives. Now, how is that the case if guns protect you? Because it’s bullshit.

In all of 2021, 46 people killed in Sweden (pop. 10.3 million) with a firearm: one of worst years on record. That's 0.44 per 100,000 people. In 2020, the rate in the US was 6.1 per 100,000. So, one of Sweden's worst ever gun homicide rates was still 14x lower than the US rate.

8) And, as I am writing this thread...news of yet another mass shooting in the US. In 2022 (135 days so far) there have been 199 mass shootings in the US. On average, that's a mass shooting every 17 hours."
No reason given
Edited by IWTCIEM