Viewing last 25 versions of post by YourPalContrail in topic Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

YourPalContrail
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

high altitude cloud pone
[@IWTCIEM](/forums/generals/topics/tartarus?post_id=5247602#post_5247602)

> Here’s my favorite argument against gun control: “Gun control laws don’t work because criminals don’t follow the law.” Shit, well, in that case, let’s get rid of Stop signs, traffic lights and drunk-driving laws. Because, you know, criminals will always break the law. Idiotic.

Ironically this isn't true on both accounts [for the roads shared spaces are more efficient and are safer](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbsFtLkGN8) and the banning outright historically doesn't work. look at prohibition, the war on drug, and abortion. If there was an outright ban on guns people like myself will still keep them as is our right.

> The Big Lie of gun lobbyists is about self-protection & they point at Europe. Here’s a secret: US w/the most guns in the world and the UK w/very few guns have the same per capita homicide rate using knives. Now, how is that the case if guns protect you? Because it’s bullshit.

Actually its not bullshit. After the UK banned guns there was a spike in violent crimes. Northern London got so bad the London Mayor Sadiq Khan wanted to implement knife control laws. Now to the US. According to the CDC guns are used defensively up to 3,000,000 times a year.

> In all of 2021, 46 people killed in Sweden (pop. 10.3 million) with a firearm: one of worst years on record. That’s 0.44 per 100,000 people. In 2020, the rate in the US was 6.1 per 100,000. So, one of Sweden’s worst ever gun homicide rates was still 14x lower than the US rate.

I don't know what source is using specifically but when I look up the mass shooting deaths per capita the US falls in 11th. this is behind Norway, Serbia, France, Macedonia, Albania, Slovakia, Switzerland, Finland, Belgium, and the Czech Republic. That said I think the US has a duty to reduce these numbers further with the policies I mentioned in previous posts.
No reason given
Edited by YourPalContrail