Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Pony #79F9
@Background Pony #CEFC  
The senate has effective veto power over the legislative, plus power to ram whatever amendments they want to adulterate legislation into whatever they want. It makes a joke out of the concept of democracy and equality in America.

You’re OK with that. Cool. A lot of people are also OK with absolute monarchies and oligarchies.
Background Pony #CEFC
@Background Pony #79F9  
The House has the power to create legislation and needs to pass it on to the senate. The two have to work together. I prefer a system where federal laws not only require the support of the voters, but also the states. If you’re ok with states like NY and California being able to dictate law to rural states then fine, I get it, you don’t care about those people.
Background Pony #79F9
@Background Pony #CEFC  
You’re supporting a system where hundreds of millions are at the mercy of the whims of a few dozen million.

If you’re ok with states like NY and California being able to dictate law to rural states then fine, I get it, you don’t care about those people.

This is a pretty cheap attempt at turning around how those “rural states” exert an exorbitant amount of power over the entire country into some “the elites” nonsense.

I think everyone’s vote should have an equal amount of power, you apparently don’t. If the issue is that the populated states aren’t voting in the interest of “rural states”, then it should be resolved by looking into the economic factors that affect them differently and working around those.

That someone in North Dakota has 40 times more say on whether gay people can adopt children or not than someone on California is completely absurd and has nothing to do with “rural vs urban” interest and everything to do with conservatives abusing a broken system.

There are better solutions to the problem than what we have now, and ~the founding fathers’ intentions~ be damned.
Background Pony #CEFC
@Background Pony #79F9  
Claiming that the rest of America is at their mercy is extremely hyperbolic. The senators from these states don’t have any more power then senators from any other state. In addition, you have the House of Representatives where those representatives are elected according to the populations. This isn’t about abusing a broken system, this is literally the system working as intended. You think it is broken only because it isn’t going exactly how you like.

The best solution to the problem is to reduce the power of the federal government, this way the thing you are angry about, voters in North Dakota having too much power, is reduced. At the same time the threat North Dakotans have to worry about, populous states dictating laws, is also reduced. The system we have now though was designed so that the more democratic side, the House, passes a law, and the Senate either passes it, or makes their changes, which the House approves. I don’t believe a system where all representatives are appointed according to state populations to be fair.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Background Pony #CEFC

Except the house is subjected to gerrymandering where Congressmen can win a majority of the seats of their state while not claiming a majority vote across it.

And yes, rural states wield more power as they tend to act as a voting bloc. Meaning a considerable minority of the countries population is wielding a higher percentage of the power than the majority.

Ending gerrymandering and making districts more or less equal would be a better way to redistribute power than weakening the federal government.
O. Hancock
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Penis
@Background Pony #CEFC  
President and congress. If little midwestern states don’t like progress they should get the fuck out of the union, not block it from happening for the rest of us. I say this as someone who’s embarrassed to live in Iowa, dead center of the country, and after my grandma eventually passes one day I will probably move away.
Background Pony #CEFC
@O. Hancock  
So you have the opinion of “If they don’t agree with me they can just get out”. This would simply lead to a fracturing of the US and making life worse for all of us, in my opinion. But, I do know a lot of people who are ok with the idea of the US balkanizing.
Background Pony #79F9
@Background Pony #1D40  
MEP election system is realms beyond the US senate electoral system, tho. Lithuania does not have as much power in the union as Hungary@Background Pony #CEFC  
Claiming that the rest of America is at their mercy is extremely hyperbolic. The senators from these states don’t have any more power then senators from any other state.
You say that while conveniently skipping the part where some senators represent 20 million people while other senators represent less than 500 thousand, yet both hold equal power over the 330 million people in the union.

“The system working as intended” might have made sense back in the days when the system represented 2 million people, all of them land-owning men, may with slaves, living across the east coast. Some things have happened since then, and trying to keep the same system is an abuse.

You want a system where a neet in a failed mining town in Indiana has multiple times more power over what happens in the entire union than a steelworker in Houston, simply because one was born in a less populated state than the other. You can call that “the system working properly” all you want, but it is fundamentally unfair and anti-democratic.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Background Pony #CEFC

Because a strong central government is not a problem if it is transparent and effective.

The problem is not solved by weakening the strength of the federal system, its solved by overhauling its flaws and fixing inefficiencies. The United States is a singular nation, not a coalition or confederation, the federal system and its constitution are the supreme law of the land. It’s the system that has allowed us to become a superpower, and we’ve been at our strongest when the federal system was strong. I’d prefer it if things like the FDA, CDC, EPA, and the like were strong enough to make sure that our food and water are safe, our people are healthy, and our environment and resources are protected. Weakening them and allowing states to run rampant over their people and environments for the sake of greed is incorrigible. It’s not a “states right” to bring demonstrable harm to the people, resources, and environment of the nation. As one states problems become another states problems eventually. We’re still cleaning coal ash out of our rivers thanks to West VA.

The rural states are the last ones that should be wanting a weaker federal government given how much money many of them take from it.
Background Pony #CEFC
@O. Hancock  
You have to compromise. Things may not be moving in the direction you want as fast as you want, but that’s just the world we live in. You should absolutely try and change the world to be more equitable, but since fair is a subjective idea your battling people who will disagree with you on what is fair. Find common ground where you can and keep progress going.

@Background Pony #79F9  
Both senators represent their state and it’s interest. The fact that the country has grown only reinforces the need for a system like this. It’s easier to have a system where the electors are balanced on population when the population is lower, generally then the population is more homogenous. In your proposed system the farmer in Nebraska has such little say in things that the urban people of NYC are passing laws that have a disproportionate impact on his life. So the system we have doesn’t let those rural people in Nebraska dictate to NYC, but NYC can’t dictate to Nebraska.

@Zincy  
The problem is a strong central government is generally not going to be transparent and effective. You can still have a federal government, but the stronger it is the more fighting you will have within DC as those fights matter more. The Constitution can still be the law of the land, but it is more efficient to allow states to handle the day to day lives of their people then to expect federal politicians to do so. It isn’t effective because now those tasks are managed by people living vastly different lives, whether that be politicians from different states, or bureaucrats.

@O. Hancock  
You should pray one never happens. People on the internet like to talk big, but if you take the time to read stories from countries that have fallen apart you find some really depressing stuff.
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Background Pony #CEFC  
The problem is that the Senate doesn’t represent the states. Thanks to the 17th Amendment, it represents the people of those states, who move around the country and vote for national parties. What has Mitch McConnell done for Kentucky in particular, or Chuck Schumer for New York? The states, as sovereign entities, have no voice in Washington.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Trump is finally speaking at CPAC.

Sure enough he’s blabbering on about how the election was rigged.

Still sad he failed to overthrow democracy, huh?
SolaristheBatto

Fluffy Space Bat
@Background Human  
The states are supposed to each have their own legislatures. Federal law dictates the bare minimum state legislatures operate within when forming the laws for their state. The state legislatures dictate the bare minimum for the state. And so on to the town level.

Or at least, it’s supposed to. Instead, cities and rural areas, sometimes located right next to eachother, sometimes in the same county, duke it out on the federal level, right where it’s not supposed to happen. Federal law is supposed to be like ‘Thou shalt not dumpeth thy nuclear waste in the river’ and/or ‘thou shalt set thy minimum wage at $10 per hour and no less’ and/or ‘thou shalt not preventeth thy angry racist man from voting’ and stuff like that.

But no, instead it’s cities saying ‘use no water on monday, wednesday, and friday, you stupid farmers!’ and the rural areas saying, ‘We should be allowed to have multi-launch missile artillery to defend ourselves because the constitution doesn’t say anything about it, you idiotic city-slickers!’ at the Federal level. Wasting truckloads of time and money.
Background Pony #CEFC
@Background Human  
Well the method of electing them has changed, but senators are still supposed to represent the state. Now if you think your specific senator isn’t doing a good job that’s when they need to be voted out. The strategy for fixing the system should be around that idea.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
And CPAC has concluded. About what you’d expect. One standout was how Trump shot down his own idea of creating a third party on account of him declaring to already own the Republican party.

This was after he tried to have them all killed and they voted to acquit him on the charge of having them all killed, which itself was after he cost them all 3 branches of government; itself a feat that hasn’t been done in a near century. So yes, this was in fact one of those rare instances where he told the truth.
Background Pony #988B
@O. Hancock
You have to compromise. Things may not be moving in the direction you want as fast as you want, but that’s just the world we live in. You should absolutely try and change the world to be more equitable, but since fair is a subjective idea your battling people who will disagree with you on what is fair. Find common ground where you can and keep progress going.

That sounds like a one-sided compromise. “We proclaim, you adapt.”
Background Pony #CEFC
@Background Pony #988B  
I’m not sure what you mean in relation to my post. The idea is to compromise and find common ground where you can to push things along. I don’t know where you fall on the political spectrum but generally the Dems have been more liberal over time on issues and Republicans have followed, though at a slower pace. So I guess if you are an old school Republican you could argue it is one sided and not fair, but their are issues where Republicans have held ground or become slightly more conservative.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide