Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Kazapsky
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Five scoops of ice cream
And those rights last exactly as long as it takes for another man with a bigger stick to come by and take them away. The law of the jungle is NOT a good reference for morality.
MethidMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

And you just missed the point of George Carlin’s overall argument…
Rights are an idea. They’re something agreed to by sentient beings. If aliens from outer space came and conquered us, what good would our rights be? Do you really think telling the aliens “You can’t harm me! I have inalienable rights!” will stop them? Fuck no. Your rights are only as good as the paper they are written on. Just like money; the only reason dollar bills have any value is because we place value on them, but they’re otherwise just nothing but pieces of paper/linen.
Animals don’t have the mental capacity to even understand the concept of rights. It’s just simply “kill or be killed”. As Kazapsky mentioned, the law of the jungle =/= “rights”. And as Lucario mentioned, as human beings, we should aspire to transcend our animal instincts. You want to go with animal-based logic? What’s stopping you from raping others then? Animals do a lot of that in nature too.
You and Beth can go hang out with the animals since that’s what you seem to want so much. The rest of us will go ahead and continue to be human beings.
Beth
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

In digital purgatory
@MethidMan
The law can’t completely keep people away from weapons, that’s the point of weapons.
Everyone that controls this world is heavily armed, and with things far worst than guns. You cannot take someones weapon after giving up your own. We might not need a ton of guns in America, but some countries wondering around unarmed you’ll end up on an illegal organ market.
Our infrastructure is made from military supremacy, our markets are controlled by war. War existed long before guns, guns just make war slightly less ugly.
If you think reality is ugly now? If pacifist give up their weapons, nature will choose sociopaths as the pacifist get suppressed out of the gene pool. Nature doesn’t reward pacifism unless you’re really good at it like grass.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Despite its fairly paired down nature, Senate dems managed to pass the single largest climate investment in US history, and the first major climate bill in 9ish years.
Republicans, in the 11th hour, managed to strip out the insulin price cap, because all that party has going for it anymore is spite.
Regardless, the bill also represents one of the first major Medicare overhauls since the ACA, allowing Medicare to finally negotiate on drug pricing rather than being forced to buy it at flat market rates.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
Republicans, in the 11th hour, managed to strip out the insulin price cap, because all that party has going for it anymore is spite.
How, given all the bill needed was the 50 dems + Harris?
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
Regardless, the bill also represents one of the first major Medicare overhauls since the ACA, allowing Medicare to finally negotiate on drug pricing rather than being forced to buy it at flat market rates.
About damn time. It may have been a necessary compromise when Medicare Part D was first passed, but it’s been a millstone around America’s neck ever since.
Background Pony #1D40
Long Guns should not leave your house
How are people supposed to train with them, have fun at the range, hunt with them, bring them for repairs, sell them, etc.?
Handguns should really always be visible in a secure holster in safety mode on a person in public:
I always find it funny that some countries have the idea that open carry is evil and everyone should carry concealed, but other countries insist that open carry is great, but concealed carry is satan. Similarly, some countries are cool with handguns but consider rifles to be bad, while others barely regulate rifles but consider handguns to be baby killing machines.
@BlitztheDragon
I have to ask: what is wrong with a tent in the woods or a person sleeping in their car? I understand why someone might want to report shoplifting, but I don’t understand the two others. Are there laws against these in US? Why? I thought Murica was supposed to have freedom?
And if I see someone shoplifting a new Xbox, I am going to report them. Though definitely not people shoplifting food, basic hygiene items or things like that.
@MethidMan
Yeah, rights are cultural. We made them up. They are, of course, important, but the only thing guaranteeing your rights is a bunch of armed dudes called the government. If goverment ignores your rights, you have no rights. It’s very important to respect people’s rights and to demand that they are enforced, but it pays to realize that rights are only promises.
Vivace
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
what is wrong with a tent in the woods or a person sleeping in their car? I understand why someone might want to report shoplifting, but I don’t understand the two others. Are there laws against these in US? Why? I thought Murica was supposed to have freedom?
Vagrancy is the reason that’d probably get cited.
Background Pony #1D40
@Vivace
Thanks for a term to search. Sleeping in the car is 100% legal where I live. And I just looked up sleeping in the forest: it’s possible, but there are some conditions. TIL.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Dems have managed a rather impressive string of victories lately.
The PACT Act, the semiconductor legislation, lowest unemployment in 50 years, incredibly strong jobs growth, expanding NATO under their watch, and now this climate and health bill.
And these are not small. The PACT Act is the largest expansion of vet benefits in history and one of the largest increases to the VA budget. The semiconductor legislation might triple US chip development and production. The climate bill is the single largest investment of its kind and the Medicare overhaul will save consumers billions of dollars.
News of the Dems demise seemed to be greatly exaggerated.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Money’s still on the Reps taking the house, but the dems are in a lot better shape now than they were 3 months ago. Big legislative wins, deeply unpopular conservative decions, weak candidate choices by the reps in swing states, strong up-ballot races in Pennsylvania and Georgia, dropping gas prices, strong jobs numbers, and killing a big terrorist have gone a long way to giving Dems a bit of hope.
And they’re now clear favorites to hold the senate.
Background Pony #EC7E
How, given all the bill needed was the 50 dems + Harris?
The senate parliamentarian ruled that the insulin cap violated the Byrd rule, and couldn’t pass without hitting the 60 votes as an amendment.

I feel it’s worth pointing out that the bill that passed does still include a cap on insulin costs. The provision Republicans blocked would have put a cap on insulin costs for people on private insurance, but Democrats were able to keep in a $35/month cap for those covered by Medicare, which undoubtedly will be a pretty big deal for a lot of people.

Of course they could have bypassed the parliamentarian’s ruling on that altogether if they had the 50 votes necessary to change the Senate rules to allow it, but then, if they had the 50 votes needed to do that, they wouldn’t have had to do this as a reconciliation in the first place.

Also kind of surprising how close the provision came to actually passing. 7 Republicans actually voted in favor of it, though obviously that wasn’t enough for it to pass.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
A Republican nominee for Michigan’s AG spot is under investigation for tampering with voting machines.
Once again, the GOP proves there was indeed voting fraud in the last election, by committing it themselves.
BlitztheDragon
Non-Fungible Trixie -

To answer your question, most big cities in the US regardless of ruling party have passed or are in the process of passing “anti-camping laws” making it illegal to sleep in public places; be it in the open, in a tent, or in a car. These laws effectively make it illegal to be homeless.
Cities are doing this because the affluent white taxpayers (the demographic most likely to vote) don’t want to pay for shelters, oppose dismantling the structural inequalities making people homeless in the first place, and see homeless people as ugly and disgusting. The only solution to homelessness they’re willing to support is locking them all up.
Background Pony #1D40
expanding NATO
TBH that was Putin’s achievement. I’d say that Democrats’ achievement was sending heavy weapons to Ukraine.
Vivace
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
@BlitztheDragon
Ain’t it kinda morbidly/darkly funny that such people have the mindset of Yzma, Miss “You really should have thought about that before you became peasants”? Less so, though, is that apparently some, when pushed hard enough, think these unfortunate souls just ought to be purged.
BlitztheDragon
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Too right. And you don’t even have to look far. Just look at the self-identified “liberals” who are going around saying that we should let the Q-Anon states go their own way and cut all federal funding to them. Sure one might think that’ll stick it to the crazies, but saying that is saying to everyone of color, queer, a woman, or Hell any of the 25-40% of people voting blue in those states “We don’t give a shit what happens to you.”
Beth
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

In digital purgatory
@BlitztheDragon
Q-Anon owns states now?
I probably have sociopath tendencies because I think Q-Anon is f’ng hilarious.
Gun store owners should promise special deals to anyone who puts Q-anon on their paperwork to buy a gun, and when they sign it they get barred from purchasing firearms all over the country, and trespassed from the property.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide