Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Violet Rose in The Rain
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

The coronavirus crisis is a textbook example for why “let the free market decide” fails.

So the meat market where this all originated from was a black market operation, which is to say, outside of normal health regulations. Exactly the scenario libertarians say is ideal; if the merchant sells contaminated meat to the consumers, those consumers will learn to not shop from him and he goes out of business. Invisible hand of the market has spoken.

Except the contamination wasn’t in the form of the singular consumer getting the runs for a few days. It came in the form of a virus. And the thing about viruses is that they don’t respect the NAP, they don’t care about transmissions being voluntary, and they don’t recognize property lines. So the net result is thousands of people who didn’t voluntarily consent to that black market transaction suffering the effects of it.
Background Pony #3C90
@Violet Rose in The Rain  
So first of all on blaming previous presidents, this isn’t a case of blaming a specific person. This whole thing is a result of our system and goes even farther back from Bush and Obama. For obvious reasons the FDA and CDC are and have been risk averse. This is all based on good intentions, “we want to make our tests because we know they work right.” The problem is what we are seeing now, if a mistake is made it all falls apart, not only did we not have the tests we need, but even now we are still slow because these institutions are dragging their feet. They aren’t doing this because they are bad people, but because the way the system is set up.

Now, to the point of railing on libertarians and free markets. I am not intending this to be insulting or anything, but this is a common misconception non libertarians have as a result of being fed news from your POV. Libertarians are not anarcho-capitalists (ANCAPS), and libertarians do not support anything like a black market. As an aside, libertarians don’t like black markets because they tie people’s hands around what to do when issues arise. If someone screws you over you have no civilized recourse, this is partially why drug cartels are so violent. They can’t go to the government to get help.

Which brings me back to my point, Libertarians are not Ancaps. Like any political ideology people differ on specifics, but the vast majority believe the government has an important role in society, cops, firefighters, judges. It is suspected, and is probably true, that this originated from a “wet market”. I have not seen anything that says the Wuhan Seafood Market, the one in question, was a black market. In fact everything I’ve seen points to the opposite. These kind of markets are not an exclusively libertarian or black market, they are fairly common in Asia, and are legal. I would say to be cautious not to just lump wet markets together and vilify them, it is not only wrong but a bit culturally insensitive.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Vivace

I mean, apparently she was very complementary to Putin a few years back?

but that still doesn’t disprove the accusation towards the guy with a long and documented history of creeper behavior. And, you know, The Failed Presidential Candidate Who Cried Russian Asset and all that.
Background Pony #3C90
@Violet Rose in The Rain  
You need to read my post a little better. I said even the most extreme libertarians I know think this. I’m sure their are people you have met who want no government, but those would be ANCAPS. Either you are generally ignorant to libertarianism, or you are purposefully equating a small extreme minority to the whole.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Dustcan

The Biden campaign better get it sorted sooner rather than later, because if this is downplayed up to the DNC (or what suffices for it given the outbreak), Sanders supporters will [rightfully] feel that yet again the nomination was stolen from him. Was on the Chapo Trap House subreddit last night, and they were furious about the lack of coverage and the downplaying by Biden supporters.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@Ebalosus

Biden’s campaign did in fact come out and deny it today. So kudos for them.

Biden himself is still mum as always. Because his strategy of “Preserve your current approval rating by not exposing the public to yourself” is once again his top priority.
Violet Rose in The Rain

Redfield offered some interesting comments Tuesday, in which he said he had hoped that the private sector would have been quicker to develop treatments for coronavirus.
“As a clinician like yourself,” he told a congressman who is a doctor, “I guess I anticipated that the private sector would have engaged and helped develop it for the clinical side. … I can tell you, having lived through the last eight weeks, I would have loved the private sector to be fully engaged eight weeks ago.”
He urged companies to develop as strong an interest in this as in other major medical problems.
“This is a medical condition that needs that innovation, that medical research,” he said. “The private sector’s got to get engaged — to develop the same passion that they have for cancer cures, that they do have for addiction cures.”
Background Pony #3C90
@Violet Rose in The Rain  
oh wow, the director of the CDC is complaining about the private market, big surprise when they weren’t allowed to develop tests despite trying to do so. Hell even now the FDA is preventing home testing.

Source
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
Trump is now berating Governors in general who dare to ask the government for assistance in dealing with Covid-19. This coming after a few days ago where he implied he was going to withhold aid to states who’s Governors were mean to him.

Is anyone still surprised at this point?
Background Pony #2BA0
Split the country between blue states and red states. I’m sick of this country being held hostage by an outdated system that gives disproportionate power to states with more cows than people.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@CeruleanChimera  
Some people really believe in following the rules even if it might spread a pandemic.

Or if it will win them points even if it might spread a pandemic.

Or even if puts other people’s lives in danger, so long as it makes them the one in charge.

Also it seems that their “thing” is starving the beast. So, if someone voted for them, and didn’t get what they wanted, then I don’t know what they were expecting.

full
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide