Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@silbasa

There was a report a while back that if social distancing was enacted a week earlier about 37,000 lives would’ve been saved. This was back when there was 80,000~ deaths. A mere 7 days earlier, still a good month after tue first case in the US, and our death toll would’ve been halved.

You can’t blame Trump for corona. But you can blame him for roughly half of deaths.

||That’s not even pointing out that Trump didn’t issue the social distance order. It was governors across the country taking charge all the while Trump was *and still is * berating them for takin action. ||
Background Pony #6180
@Dustcan  
I doubt that study’s findings, but governors handling the closures is a good thing. The president should not be trying to issue national closure or distancing orders because every state was different.
UserAccount
Duck - User has been known to often resemble a waterfowl
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

#1 Spikeabuse Fan
From 2017-2019, I kept hearing Liberal-types be like “Man, I knew Trump would be bad, but I never thought he’d be this bad!” And I was always like “Seriously? He still hasn’t even come close to as awful as I expected him to be.”

This year is when he finally reached my expectations.
UserAccount

#1 Spikeabuse Fan
@Background Human  
True. That was the worst case scenario in my mind. We’ve finally reached what I would‘ve considered the best case scenario when I was imagining him as president. I knew he couldn’t do anything and has been a failure his whole life, so I thought for sure he’d get lots of Americans killed in mass from sheer incompetence.
UserAccount

#1 Spikeabuse Fan
@igotnopicks  
Well, I mean realistically this is as good as I could’ve imagined it.

@Latecomer  
Yeah, it’s not like I think he’s done good at all, but before the virus, he was doing far better than I could’ve imagined. I actually apologized to some people in 2018 for how doom and gloom I was getting two years prior and admitted he was nowhere near as bad as I thought he would be. (I apologized because I’d shilled for Hillary, which I didn’t feel good about at all at the time, but I wanted to stop Trump.)
Background Pony #6300
From 2017-2019, I kept hearing Liberal-types be like “Man, I knew Trump would be bad, but I never thought he’d be this bad!” And I was always like “Seriously? He still hasn’t even come close to as awful as I expected him to be.”
This year is when he finally reached my expectations.
Well to be fair, there were more than a few people (likely including a majority of his less fanatical voters) who thought that either the weight of the office or the natural inertia of government or even the influence of his party would tone him down a bit from the kinds of things on display with his campaign and the rhetoric he used during it.

As someone who (at that time) was familiar with his pre decision to run for office history, I was absolutely convinced electing him would be the worst conceivable thing we could possibly do, and was baffled anyone could look at what kind of person he was and not think the same thing.

I can honestly say I’ve never been more distressed about being right.
Background Pony #9C44
Deletion reason: Rule #6 - If that was supposed to be anything other than gibberish, please retype it
Background Pony #6180
@Background Pony #6300  
I voted for him, and might do so again. I have low expectations for all presidents, so the fact that everything has generally been ok as far as he is concerned sets him as a known quantity in my mind.
UserAccount

#1 Spikeabuse Fan
Are the protests/riots good or bad, do you guys think? I was personally too busy with my personal life to look too much into them. Thankfully they’re nowhere near me, so it doesn’t matter much. I think some of those buildings probably should burn, but I condone absolutely no killing. I hope it’s being kept relatively harmless.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@UserAccount  
The protests I have participated in have been very much like the Philando Castile protests. People peacefully walking in support of our community and in support of the families and our neighbors and friends. Lots of crying and prayers and even police officers walking along side of us.

I’ve seen some videos of people showing up during peaceful protests wearing what appear to be very high-end gas masks and breaking windows then walking quickly away, acts which were immediately followed by police in riot gear hurling tear gas and arresting news crews who filmed them.

And I’ve seen people taking advantage of the resulting riots breaking into stores and grabbing whatever they can grab. I have some parishioners who have confessed to grabbing some things - most of them have been unemployed since the lockdowns, so sometimes people are stealing because they simply are unable to feed their families, sometimes because they see an opportunity to enrich themselves, or to act out.

As you might expect, it’s complex.

It’s all very reminiscent of 1968. The world-wide escalation of protests and police beating up news crews for having the temerity to do their jobs.

A new pandemic killing a million people worldwide.

A tightly contested presidential election that resulted in a president who was closely tied to illegal actions.

Yeah, this is all very familiar.

Are the protests good? Yes - I think they are very needed. People are getting to express their grief and anger in a peaceful way, and our elected officials are getting to see that this is important and must be dealt with.

But they are also bad. Not least of which because it’s going to result in a lot more spread of the pandemic, and also because people are being hurt, and also because everything is becoming more violent and a peaceful resolution seems more and more distant.

Just like 1968.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@silbasa  
Consider how none of this would have been news if people hadn’t been recording it on their phones, consider how very quick the coroner was in determining that Floyd died of “heart failure”, and consider how all death except damage to the brain stem is ultimately due to “heart failure”.

So yeah, people are very reticent to just “wait for the law to take its course”. If not for those people recording the murder, George Floyd’s death would just be another statistic.
silbasa
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@The Smiling Pony  
To be fair Floyd did not die on the street. He died later in the hospital. A very prominent coroner ruled that he did not die from suffocation in the preliminary results. More to follow I expect. And this would have been news, recordings or not. A black man dies at the hands of white police officers? You bet that will be instant frontpage news no matter what.
neutralgrey
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -

I suppose it’s asking too much to have cops be put to a higher standard and to be subject to the very laws they’re supposed to be enforcing
Ereiam
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Organization is important.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Monde de merde
@The Smiling Pony  
“Heart failure”, huh? Reminds me of what happened to Adama Traoré here in France after his arrest four years ago (in his case, pre-existing medical conditions were invoked by the autopsy reports, which led his family to commission a counter-expertise from experts of said conditions who categorically rejected them as possible causes for his death in their own report).  
Coincidentally, I found out that yet another court-ordered medical report got released barely two days ago and also goes in the sense of the “official version”, while conveniently omitting the circumstances of his arrest (about which the cops themselves had admitted they were no less than three at once weighing down on him).

But I guess, since the guy was a repeat offender who was wanted for extortion, evaded the cops three times before they cornered him, and the use of chokehold to subdue an offender is perfectly legal in France besides, who cares, right? /s
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide