Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Peace to all
The TikTok ban doesn’t: “any transaction by any person, or with respect to any property, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, with ByteDance Ltd.” But ByteDance doesn’t own anything else in the US, so that shouldn’t be as much a problem.

Wouldn’t that still affect users who have big followings and sponsorship deals and such?
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@Metro_Offset  
Specifically mentions Tencent, which has a stake in a lot of video game companies, including the likes of Blizzard, Epic, Ubisoft, Riot, etc.  
full

That last bit sounds really important, because it Sounds like nothing’s been defined right now…..which makes this EO feel even more like incompetence
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@doloresbridge  
Maybe. They’re not making money from ByteDance directly, the way monetized YouTube channels work. But a broad enough reading of “transaction” could stop them. The main thing this kills is TikTok’s own ad revenue.
doloresbridge
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
@Background Human  
Considering the fact that our government once ruled that farmers couldn’t grow their own feed for personal use under the commence claws I bet they could have a wide reading on transaction as well to affect them.

@Dustcan  
LOL! Though I’m honestly iffy on such interventions for “national security” (even if I do agree that those apps are security issues) can’t say I feel to much sympathy for the companies that could be victims of it.
Metro_Offset
Duck - Ducks should be a majority on Derpi and thus in charge.

@Kiryu-Chan  
Section a is referring to WeChat, not simply Tencent. Again, you see the difference with the Tiktok order, which refers not to Tiktok, but to ByteDance. They are targeting WeChat. Not videogames.
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Metro_Offset  
Maybe it’s the grammar. Like people are parsing it as two clauses: “any transaction related to WeChat” and “any transaction with Tencent Holdings Ltd.” I don’t know how you fix that. If there’s a way to clean up the legalese, make it clearer.
igotnopicks
Thread Starter - Splatoon thread

Monado User
Here are all the things owned by Tencent by shares in the company and investments in some.  
Riot Games(Full owned)  
Funcom(Full owned)  
Sharkmob(Full owned)  
80% Grinding Gear Games  
84% Supercell  
40% Epic Games  
20% Mavelous  
18.6% iDreamsky  
5% Funplus  
17.66% New Marble  
15% Glu Mobile  
13.54% Kakao  
9% Frontier Developments  
5% Activision  
5% Paradox interactive  
5% Ubisoft  
1.5% Blue Hole  
Other companies.  
Majority ownership of Miniclip  
Capital investment in Platinum Games  
Minority share Yager Development.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
As much as I hate those companies, I don’t like the precedent that the guy at the top can just put the kibosh on privately owned companies like that.

I’m not entirely sure if it falls under his purview either.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide