Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Pony #EE4D
@Latecomer  
They did ask her when she was in front of the Senate for the appeqls court, she said “It is never appropriate for a judge to impose that judge’s personal convictions, whether they arise from faith or anywhere else, on the law”.

You can think she is lying, but that can apply to any judge for any reason, assuming she is more likely to lie because of her catholicism is the issue. I’m not trying to imply that’s what you’re doing, but when you have senators saying her religion concerns them we should be worried, because as Dustcan posted, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Background Pony #EE4D  
More pointedly, Article VI of the original Constitution says “no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.” Unless it can be shown that her secular judicial philosophy is out of the mainstream, her personal beliefs are immaterial.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
So what then, does it mean to be a different kind of lawyer? The implications of our Catholic mission for your legal education are many, and don’t worry—I’m not going to explore them all in this short speech. I’m just going to identify one way in which I hope that you, as graduates of Notre Dame, will fulfill the promise of being a different kind of lawyer. And that is this: that you will always keep in mind that your legal career is but a means to an end, and as Father Jenkins told you this morning, that end is building the kingdom of God. You know the same law, are charged with maintaining the same ethical standards, and will be entering the same kinds of legal jobs as your peers across the country. But if you can keep in mind that your fundamental purpose in life is not to be a lawyer, but to know, love, and serve God, you truly will be a different kind of lawyer.

Finally, when you arrive at your new jobs in your new cities, seek
out friends with whom you can share your faith. For the past
three years, you have lived within the Notre Dame Law School
community. While we are a community engaged in the enterprise
of legal education and scholarship, we are also a community
engaged in the enterprise of bringing about the kingdom of God.
We are a community characterized by our love and concern for
one another. I hope that you have enjoyed living here these last
three years. I also hope that living at Notre Dame has given you
a thirst for this kind of community. Don’t just look back on
your time here with nostalgia. When you get where you’re going,
carry Notre Dame with you. Deliberately choose a parish or
church that has an active community life and commit yourself
deeply to the relationships you find there. It’s only when you’re an
independent operator that your career takes over. When your life
is placed firmly within a web of relationships, it is much easier to
keep your career in its proper place.

Secondly the 1st Amendment forbids both laws establishing and prohibiting religion. As in the government is supposed to take a hand-off approach to the entire subject. So the concerns are over her expressed intent to violate the first part of that sentence with her multiple stated belief that a lawyer’s “legal career is but a means to an end, … that end is building the kingdom of God.
Background Pony #EE4D
@Dustcan  
That’s an adress to christians telling them they don’t need to leqve thwir beliefs behind, compqre that to a paper she and a colleague wrote, directly addressing this issue.

“judges cannot—nor should they try to—align our legal system with the Church’s moral teaching whenever the two diverge.”

Their simply isn’t enough evidence to claim she is going to ignore the law in favor of her religious beliefs.
Background Pony #2398
So, no officers charged directly with Breonna Taylor’s death.

And people believe the cops responsible for George Floyd’s death as it got pushed from September 11 into sometime this or next year, might not get charged or let off.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
At the moment, around 80,000 members of the military are taking part in the “Caucasus 2020” campaign under Russian leadership. The plan is to hold the biggest military maneuver this year until next Saturday. Not only Russian units are part of the exercise, but up to 12,900 soldiers from China, Pakistan, Belarus, Armenia and Myanmar. A clear signal to NATO.

“The maneuver has no aggressive character”, said Russia’s Deputy Minister of Defense Nikolai Pankov before the official launch on Monday at the Kapustin Yar military training area in the Astrakhan region of the Volga.

The exercise strengthens the cooperation of the participating states and improves the joint action of soldiers, according to Russian sources. The Russian war fleet is also involved. From the point of view of Moscow defence politicians, the maneuver is seen as a reaction to similar NATO exercises in the Russian neighbourhood. In total, the event covered 14 strategic positions, including those in the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea.

Among other things, these military operations serve to train armed conflicts related to the fight against terrorism. Among the many participants were also technical staff and civil protection staff.

Really just an maneuver, or a covert political message to the West in Covid times? ;-)
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DarkObsidian  
Of course its communication. And I bet NATO is paying close attention. We have big and extremely dangerous neighbours. We need NATO. And large numbers of hidden silos and submarines. With large nukes. That go boom in theoretical end of the world scenarios. That keeps China in China and hopefully Russia in Russia.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@silbasa

Absolutely bullshit. At least from a military and economic point of view. Nuclear deterrence may have worked in the past, but it involves so many logistical errors that it is completely unsuitable as a military option right now. While nuclear weapons may still play a certain diplomatic role (see North Korea), the Cold War has shown that neither side is prepared to consider the ultima ratio. What benefit would Russia, which is economically much more dependent on the West than the Russian regime would admit, have from such an action?

While I see the benefits in missile-supported defence systems, I still support the existence of NATO at the moment, it is time for Europe to wake up and become aware of its own military responsibility. If the UN is not taken seriously by the Americans, but is even mocked by them, to what extent does NATO still have any significance, apart from wanting to preserve the status quo by all means?

Europe must become aware of its role as a geopolitical power in the world. Not aggressive, but defensive, but without wanting to hang on to the American skirt all the time. I’m more concerned about the range of Russian allies. All relatively authoritarian regimes, except for Armenia. Still a proof that the desire for a “strong” man at the top is more important than convincing any democratic principle with plausible reasons.

And I admire your naive belief that nuclear silos can be built anywhere. ;-)
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Background Human

I’m pretty sure that they didn’t want them in cahoots with the Antichrist either. Remember that a lot of Americans at the time of the revolution were descended from people who thought that the victors of the then-recent English civil war didn’t go far enough in dealing with the “papist menace.”
Background Pony #AA09
i dont have a car and i dont have a girlfriend and i dont care about bank.
Latecomer

@Ebalosus  
Sometimes it’s amazing how many once vitally important divides have grown too narrow for most people to even notice. It’s one of the things that gives me hope - and makes me laugh when people talk about how the best cure for America’s race problems is segregation.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
Does anyone know if Canada has reopened its borders to the US yet? I don’t know if it will be possible for me to move there, but I would at least like the option to do so.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
The Trump administration is apparently looking into contingency plans to bypass the election results.

One such plan involves convincing red state legislators to appoint party aligned electors to vote red even if their states back Biden.

And no, this isnt a conspiracy, as per the Atlantic (cited through Yahoo News)

*“A Trump campaign legal adviser who spoke to The Atlantic said that in this scenario, “the state legislatures will say, ‘All right, we’ve been given this constitutional power. We don’t think the results of our own state are accurate, so here’s our slate of electors that we think properly reflect the results of our state.” Lawrence Tabas, chair of the Pennsylvania Republican Party, also told The Atlantic he has discussed the direct appointment of electors with the Trump campaign, saying, “I’ve mentioned it to them, and I hope they’re thinking about it too.” *

If you can’t win, cheat.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@MagpulPony  
And who knows when that will be…

@Zincy  
That’s the main thing that’s worrying me right now, yeah. I recall him actually saying something like, “Get rid of the ballots, there won’t be a transition of power, there will be a continuation.”

@Background Pony #1F81  
Toph damn it!

Just because this country is on the verge of going through a Roman Empire-esque fall doesn’t mean I want to fall with it…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide