Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

silbasa
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

This has been discussed before here, so it’s not about the shooting of the 16 year Ma’Khia Bryant per see but more the reactions to what seems to be a warranted use of force.

For context the bodycam footage, its is very graphic so fair warning:

Bodycam Footage of Ma’Khia Bryant Shooting by Columbus Police in Ohio - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YZ38XAZyQ&t=100s

The reactions of BLM and other activists on Twitter. (Full disclosure, screencapped from Lotuseaters video of one of their live streams.)

full

full

full

full

full

Is it just me that finds these people disconnected from reality here?

I need a break.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@silbasa

Yeah I’m not sure I’m disagreeing with the officer on this one per se.

I mean, this is yet another instance of “police arrive, someone dies” but, uh, what did they think was going to happen when you start assaulting someone in front of an officer? When you pull a knife and was about to stab someone?
Background Pony #7CB4
@silbasa  
Twitter is an awful place. These people are not rational and you shouldn’t put much stock in what they say.
BadgingBadger
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

💪😎🤜 S🔥W🔥A🔥G 🤛😂👍
@silbasa  
Cops being right once in saving one person from assault still does not justify only seven in every 15.000 cases of police-induced murder since 2005 resulting in convictions. Or the mass incarceration of African-Americans without trial, or the massive racial disparity in wealth, housing, and social services that compels many African-Americans to seek crime rather than legally sanctioned employment as a means of sustenance. The American police know they are a hated institution, which is why they’ve seized upon the opportunity as a means of improving their PR and making their political opponents seem stupid in judging it too reactively.  
In my opinion, it is better not to judge the righteousness of a political cause on a case-by-case basis, but rather on the largest possible scale in which it can be applied. In that context, taking all state, societal, and human levels into account, BLM and anti-carceral activism remain strong and wholly defensible.
BadgingBadger
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

💪😎🤜 S🔥W🔥A🔥G 🤛😂👍
@Background Pony #7CB4  
You know the saying “any attention is good attention”?  
Twitter is designed to maximize engagement and activity, not to promote a constructive political discourse between actors in good faith. That comes with all its problems – namely, that people will care more about “dunking” than convincing, that “hot takes” are encouraged, that people with literally nothing of value to say will get no penalty for refusing to seek out meaningful engagement, that harassment becomes normal, etc.  
If you value your mental health, stay away from Twitter. Most of the people there are just Extremely Online losers whose impact on society at large is negligible. You may find good-intentioned people on the internet who can be insightful, but if you want to politically transform your society, go outside and talk to people directly, since the material world is generally the only thing that matters in that regard.
Latecomer

@silbasa  
I admit, I can’t make sense of the footage myself (can’t get it at all by that link), but from what I’ve read, there was an immediate danger to human life. So the use of deadly force could be considered justifiable, especially in the heat of the moment.

The people you quote do seem to have a rather prejudiced view on the matter - like they decided the truth of this in advance. (Hmm, who do I know like that?) Although looking at what they’re saying, it might not be being “detached from reality” than being attached to a different reality to you or I, one where knife fights among teenagers really are not that unusual. It sounds like a scary place…
NitroFury
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Horseplay
Artist -

Nitro Cat Bad!
First Florida got the Anti-Trans Bill, now they got the Anti-Riot Bill… I feel like we’re better off without Florida.
NitroFury
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

Nitro Cat Bad!
DeSantis signs Florida’s anti-riot bill, cites Chauvin trial [AP News]

TL;DR: So Florida Governor DeSantis has signed this “anti-riot” bill to create tougher penalties who participate in violate protests, but here’s the strange part? Top Florida Republicans cited city protests against Police Brutality across America, but not the Jan 6th Insurrection, unless I’m proven wrong.

Let me get this straight, being trans is bad, peaceful protest is bad, but inspecting someone’s child’s genital is okay in the state of Florida.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@NitroFury

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Chauvin’s verdict result in no riots?

Also,

but inspecting someone’s child’s genital is okay in the state of Florida.

I’ve been mulling over whether to say that part for a few days now. But yes, the same state GOP that has PizzaGaetz wants to legalize looking at little girl’s crotches.
Latecomer

@Dustcan  
Well, they’ll probably say it’s legal where it’s necessary already - like with doctors. And preventing kids from being on the wrong sports team is so very necessary, after all.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Latecomer  
The DCVRA was … what … 40 years ago?

If 40 years of trying to change this is ‘too sudden’ then the US Senate needs a swift kick in the pants.
Latecomer

@Ciaran  
I mean that it’s a partisan enough issue I’d expect a bigger fight over it if it seems likely to fly. As it is, it seems to have had less press than the Chauvin trial. Though that could just be me missing it, I guess.
NitroFury
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Nitro Cat Bad!
@Dustcan  
Well, Chauvin is found guilty on all charges and we haven’t seen a single riot from that.

Plus Florida GOP is pretty much telling the nation “we’re against trans people, but we’ll happily let pedos take advantage of this bill to diddle kids.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@Latecomer

Senate needs 60 votes to pass.

Now, doing that would add 2 senators to the count. 2 extra senators ain’t enough to pass the supermajority threshold for big bills, but is enough to ensure Dems will pretty maintain the Senate for generations. Why? For the same reason why Republicans will never allow DC to be a state: DC holds a plurality of blacks. Not only do minorities typically lean Democrat, but a hypothetical DC state would be the first state in the country where blacks are the most numerous.

And there’s no way the GOP will have any of that.
Background Pony #5AEE
@Latecomer  
Trans athletes shouldn’t be allowed to just join where they identify, at least not without several restrictions in place governing time frames and hormone levels.
Background Pony #5AEE
@Latecomer  
I see three primary solutions to the issue of DC statehood (I don’t count doing nothing as a solution). In order of what I think is best,

1, Shrink the territory of the capital, what remains is absorbed back into Maryland. This land was originally ceded by Maryland to create D.C. in the first place. The territory that would join Maryland is politically similar to the state, and would boost it’s population granting the state increased representation in the House while giving the area’s residents representation. I think this is the best solution as it does solve the issue of representation, it still gives the Democrats a boost federally, and is a more acceptable offer to Republicans. It’s easier to pitch to the electorate for both parties. Democrats would of course oppose this solution as they want those senate seats, the representation bit isn’t what’s important to them.

2, Just make DC a state. This is unlikely as the Republicans will oppose it since they DON’T want the Democrats to have those 2 seats. They will bring up constitutional reasons, which they may have a legal point on, but they are really just worried about losing power.

3, Make DC a state, but also make another state to offset the increase. Probably the piece of Northern California which has wanted to break off for awhile now. Out of all options I think this is least likely simply due to how messy it would be. You have potential states to choose from, but since they aren’t well developed ideas it won’t happen. This would be a good idea if one of these state secession plans was good to go, but it’s not the case.
Background Pony #5468
@Background Pony #5AEE  
And Buck Angel then, in your mind, should only participate in Women’s sports.

full

Gotcha.

Am I right in guessing you, like many conservatives, think they should only be allowed to use restrooms or changing rooms based on their birth gender?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide