Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

HeadlessHorselessHorseman

@Background Pony #F6BB  
I dislike slurs such as “neckbeards,” but your position on Gamergate is pretty close to what mine has evolved into.

@Ebalosus  
Still prefer them (Moot and 4chan) to Lowtax and his progeny. Funnily enough someone on r/StupIdpol informed me of the 10bux-to-Breadtube pipeline the other day.

No offense (and I know this comment is ancient), but I scrolled through some of your Reddit posts besides the one you linked, and you seem to think Mister Metokur was opposed to Gamergate going down the culture war route? Maybe he said he was, but Metokur was an unambiguously right-wing figure, even if he occasionally took potshots at gay MRA furries (because fags having cringe sex, yo) or Karen Straughan (because she looks like a butch lesbian, yo). No matter how nihilistic he fronted, he was an enthusiastic culture war belligerent, and on any given YouTube video of his you’d see comment after comment after comment about gas, ropes, and autism.

This is why I never clicked with Gamergate and never will. I’m deeply critical of much of online feminism, but as soon as I poked my head into that room and saw nothing but bellowing machismo, I was out of there like a shot.

Also, “post-leftist” discourse relies way too much on right-wing populist tropes about pointyheaded intellectuals. HR administrators and BreadTube scolds aren’t the “elite” or the “upper class” bestowing values on the masses from on high. They’re yet another sector of the middle class, living in fear of those above and below as they scramble for tablescraps for them and theirs.
Background Pony #F6BB
@silbasa  
Ah thanks for the praise but tbh I still have a reverse Trey Parker approach to all this. I “hate” Sarkeesian but I fucking hate channers even more.
Background Pony #F6BB
@HeadlessHorselessHorseman  
That’s the point hence my description of doing “reverse” Trey Parker. I don’t consider myself right-wing like Silbasa. IMO the left side of GamerGate was more a nuisance than an active threat. Sarkeesian faded in the obscurity, obsessive malaise about anything that might look “ess-jau double-u” did not. While Anti Gamergate can be blamed if undermining their sometimes legit point through tone deafness, smugness and confrontational itsy, that doesn’t excuse or absolve the one who participated in a backlash that went out of control
Violet Rose in The Rain
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Working on a piece to explain some of why murder rose nationally in 2020. A possible reason is police dedicating resources to responding to BLM-related protests over the summer, but in my 60 city sample there’s no relationship between rate of protests and % change in murder.
full
The same holds true when you look at just those protests that weren’t classified as peaceful for whatever reason.
full
And if you use the change in murder rate rather than the % change.
Simply put, the number of protests – even non-violent protests – doesn’t seem to be a determining factor in where murder increased last year.
full
One final thing: I have monthly murder data for 14 cities. Here’s the % change in murder summer 2019 vs summer 2020 to the number of non-peaceful protests. Portland certainly sticks out, but other than that there’s no real pattern IMO.
full
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Background Pony #A191
Good job, anons. You spent the last 20 years circlejerking about fucking free speech, censorship, and memetic mutations and you managed to pull a Streisand effect-esque on the very own YouTube podcast you felt threatened your core beliefs instead of letting it vegetated on YouTube among the other prigs who improvise themselves reviewers.

I mean, putting aside the Nazis and normalization of Nazism (a really big thing to put aside, mind) this is perhaps my biggest gripe with Gamergate. Their collective had one goal: to ruin the lives of like 5 specific nobody women and 1 nobody male, and yet they’re such failures at life that not only did they fail at that one identity-consuming goal, they ended up causing them such financial success that for a time those people made more in a year than any Goobergators made in a lifetime. Gamergate failed so hard they had negative success.
Background Pony #F6BB
@Violet Rose in The Rain  
If the Yanks stopped treating their police force like a palette swap of the army complete with armored vehicles, that would be neat. That would be a productive use of the”defunding the police” angle instead of spewing nonsense about abolishing it
Background Pony #F6BB
to ruin the lives of like 5 specific nobody women and 1 nobody male

This is the biggest sin of Internet/imageboard culture in my view and that’s at the core of my anti Encyclopedia Dramatica rant a couple page back. That constant, hyperfocus on niche issues and on complete nobodies, loosing focus on what’s really important and letting our common focus being wasted on that time-wasting garbage,letting our attention being directed to whatever the 4chan intelligentsia is pissed off that particular day.
Violet Rose in The Rain

If the Yanks stopped treating their police force like a palette swap of the army complete with armored vehicles, that would be neat.

The images on the news of police wearing helmets and masks, toting assault rifles, and riding in mine-resistant armored vehicles are not isolated incidents—they represent a nationwide trend of police militarization.
Federal programs providing surplus military equipment, along with departments’ own purchases, have outfitted officers with firepower that is often far beyond what is necessary for their jobs as protectors of their communities. Sending a heavily armed team of officers to perform “normal” police work can dangerously escalate situations that need never have involved violence. Yet the ACLU’s recent report on police militarization, “War Comes Home,” found that SWAT teams, which were originally devised as special responders for emergency situations, are deployed for drug searches more than they are for all other purposes combined.

ACLU.

Many of this militarized equipment is transferred through two federal programs: the 1033 and the 1122 initiatives. The 1122 program allows the police to purchase new military equipment using their own funding with the same discounts enjoyed by the federal government. The 1033 program allows the Department of Defense to transfer excess military equipment to local law enforcement agencies free of charge, as long as they pay for shipping and maintenance.
Since its inception, more than 11,500 domestic law enforcement agencies have taken part in the 1033 program, receiving more than $7.4 billion in military equipment. After the Ferguson protests, several attempts were made to amend the 1033 program but were either met with opposition or rescinded in later years.

CNBC source.

Have the police stop receiving military equipment first and maybe the Yanks will stop treating cops like the army with a palette swap.

Deal?
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Dustcan  
Gamergate would’ve been better off focusing on corruption in gaming journalism like they “claimed” they did, instead of devolving into an alt-right echo chamber focused on harassing left-leaning creators.
Thanotos Omega
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

@Penguin Dragneel  
they literally got started because an asshole whined about his ex girlfriend and made up a bunch of shit about her and these idiots bought it with no care or thought, a deep dive into corruption was never going to come of that,
Background Pony #A191
@Zincy  
I know things like that happing to innocent civilians are indeed infinitely worse than that happening to soldiers, but this is war, WAR we are talking about, which is one of the reasons why war is generally bad, in the first place.

I mean, what else would you expect?? It’s war!
Penguin Dragneel
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Thanotos Omega  
Ah, my bad.

The sad thing is, there actually IS corruption within the gaming journalism industry, but Gamergate has pretty much ruined a lot of discussion surrounding it.

And I’m not talking about “ZOMG ZoE qUiNn SlEpT wItH a ReViEwEr!” I’m talking about how a reviewer was fired from GameSpot for not giving a game that they advertised a “good” review.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide